OLD AREA PHOTOS

Marine4

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CityLady26

This is fantastic wish there was a way I could print them out  this is our forefathers how things were compared to now. I have old pictures of Helvetia Mines, and school house. I not a computer whiz but I hope my daughter can help me copy these pictures they are fantastic. Thank-you for sharing them with all.  

Citylady, right click on the pictures on here then save as. , then they will be saved under my pictures from your start screen. then all you have to do is bring them up go to file and print,. Hope that helps

I would have to go over my notes but i believe this is on 255 facing DuBois. the original church is seen with the bell tower and if memory serves me correct the area in front of the penfield hotal to the church store and smith's shop was refered to as the square

I would have to go over my notes but i believe this is on 255 facing DuBois. the original church is seen with the bell tower and if memory serves me correct the area in front of the penfield hotal to the church store and smith's shop was refered to as the square

That's what I originally thought but I questioned if that was the church or not. Very cool.  And I had heard and read that Tyler was a pretty booming town for the time, so it's cool to put a picture with the stories. The ovens picture gives me the creeps for some reason. Thanks for sharing!

• 3 weeks later...

Edgemont park was over the back way to Falls Creek from Quarry Ave. haven't figured out exactly where but, over in that vicinity past Adrian furnace. Was at the time the amusement park of the area. Trolley went to it from DuBois, there was many company picnics held there,according to old local histories and stories

• 2 months later...
Guest Angee5085

Edgemont park was over the back way to Falls Creek from Quarry Ave. haven't figured out exactly where but, over in that vicinity past Adrian furnace. Was at the time the amusement park of the area. Trolley went to it from DuBois, there was many company picnics held there,according to old local histories and stories

i want to go find it.... it looked so beautiful, I'd literally live there if it was still looking like that!

Guest Angee5085

I wish we did still have a park like that, how nice it would be to go there on a nice sunday afternon. I think I grew up in the wrong Era because I love seeing old photos like that and think of how much simpler things probably were

I always say the same thing, I was born in the wrong time, one of the reasons why I love it here so much, the old houses, original wood work of the houses.... everything the same from the day it was built. I treasure all things, buildings, houses, items, etc. Many houses around here especially Brookville I want to go in and see what has its original look. Some places are just amazing. I just cant explain how much i love it.

I kind of figured Edgemont park was behind or around Jackson china . If you are on Larkeytown road and go over the bridge and look out across the creek you can envision it being back in there, probably way before the china plant I don't know though. I always thought around the adrian furnace side of the road since the trolley ran there but, I believe it ran the whole way to Falls Creek  so it could very well have been down further the other side of the bridge.

The Winterburn school was located toward the end of winterburn road just off of rt. 255.

As for edgemont park, there are conflicting recolections as to where the park was actualy located due to the flood project that rerouted the sandy lick. some say toward adrian furnace, some say behind jackson china, and some claim it is where bolbey and cole tie plant is currently. Can anyone remembers just where the park was? would love to know for sure and settle the dispute

The Winterburn school was located toward the end of winterburn road just off of rt. 255.

As for edgemont park, there are conflicting recolections as to where the park was actualy located due to the flood project that rerouted the sandy lick. some say toward adrian furnace, some say behind jackson china, and some claim it is where bolbey and cole tie plant is currently. Can anyone remembers just where the park was? would love to know for sure and settle the dispute

I can't confirm or deny what you are hearing re: Edgemont location, but can say that my earliest memories from about '56-'57 are that the area where the tie plant sits was previously a coal proccessing area.  Don't know if it was a storage yord, loading facility, proccessing plant or exactly what.