GoDuBois.com

DuBois Ghost stories

DRNeil

I did a bit or reading online not too long ago about local hauntings when a local group was trying to start up to investigation paranormal activity in the area.  Do you have the stories yet about the old Central Catholic Building, Luthersburg Field and I think another part of DRMC is said to be haunted.  The area that used to be the old convent.  

I've also read about parts of 80 that are haunted, notably the stretch between Penfield and Clearfield where as I recall a businessman passing through crashed.  I'm going to have to see if I can find them all again. I am so interesting in all of that!

sure I will share the stories once I get them all gathered and put togather. I have heard several stories about ghosts of Interstate 80 along with some about a cemetary in Punxy and other places te DRMC and central catholic stories are interesting I am working on developing more info on those. The one about Luthersburg I am very aware of and have seen. However I wish to be careful with that  because the mother of the girl involved recently died and I know some who knew her are still in the area so I don't want to cause them pain. But once I have everything gathered I will share them here because this is an interesting part of the local history. I have heard some stories about Rumbarger Cemetary and the rail road line west of the city. But I am still researching and gathering data. I think we will find an interesting history from all this.

thanks

Dave

Clearfield - Clearfield Middle School - In auditorium there are reports by night crews that the old music teacher smokes vanilla pipe tobacco and plays the piano.

Curwensville - Curwensville High School Auditorium - During late night theatre practices, many have seen the reflection of an old man in pictures and windows when nobody else was there. His shadow is often seen in the lighting box. He is said to be the ghost of one of the men that were working on it when it was being built, he fell off the scaffolding onto the hard cement floor and it killed him instantly, not only does he show up in mirrors but he messes with the lights, and moves the curtains around on the stage. He sometimes says things to people in there as well but it always comes from above the person

Calvary cemetary in Punxsy is reputed to be haunted. The Gatti family once owned a factory there and had a son who died in the Flu epidemic of 1918 at age 19. The father had his son's bust placed on the grave marker. Then in 1936 his daughter died at age 30. The grieving father had a life size statute made of her laying in a bed placed on her grave. According to legend after his daughters death he would visit the grave every night and kneel there weeping until his servant would guide him back to the car and take him home. This continued for several years until the father went out on a cold snowy night stayed at the grave brushing the falling snow from his daughter. When the servant finally got him to leave the chill had effected him and he became very ill that night and soon died. It is said that on cold clear nights if you stand by the grave you can hear the father weeping for his children. I have attached pictures of the site.    

picture_508_4168.jpg

picture_512_5135.jpg

Brandy Camp...Gravity Hill- There is a hill that if you put your car in neutral at the bottom of the hill, and you shut your car off, you can hear horse galloping and your car starts to move up the hill and you can hear the hooves of the horses on the pavement.

A bunch of us tried this one time. This is located outside of Brockway.

My dad had something very odd happen to him once here near an old mine, pm me your number and I can have him contact you. He's not very computer savvy but will be really eager to share this with you. It's haunted him and a few of his buddies since it happened years ago.

The house I used to live in was haunted. All kinds of weird stuff went on in that place. It was a duplex, which at the time, my neighbor had stuff goin on in her place too. I believe it used to be all one house, and it was one of the first houses build in Dubois.

Calvary cemetary in Punxsy is reputed to be haunted. The Gatti family once owned a factory there and had a son who died in the Flu epidemic of 1918 at age 19. The father had his son's bust placed on the grave marker. Then in 1936 his daughter died at age 30. The grieving father had a life size statute made of her laying in a bed placed on her grave. According to legend after his daughters death he would visit the grave every night and kneel there weeping until his servant would guide him back to the car and take him home. This continued for several years until the father went out on a cold snowy night stayed at the grave brushing the falling snow from his daughter. When the servant finally got him to leave the chill had effected him and he became very ill that night and soon died. It is said that on cold clear nights if you stand by the grave you can hear the father weeping for his children. I have attached pictures of the site.    

I was told the father had his daughter's body shipped to Italy where they covered her in cement to make what you see in the pic.  You can see it from the road.

There use to be a house by the college behind Comet in Punxy that supposedly had an old lady that would look out the window. I broke in once when i was in 5th grade, although i didnt hear anything, a chair did fall on my foot. I got scared and ran out.lol. Now that i think about it, the house was so old, im suprised nothing else fell.

Theres also an old Indian burial out on #8 road just outside of Punxsy thats suppose to be haunted, ive never found it but my brother did.

Ive also heard of a house that is called "The round house", not sure where it is but if you use a Ouiji board there, then take it home, it is suppose to disappear and if you go back to the round house, it will be there.

For those interested in reading about local ghost stories, lost treasure and true stories of what the area used to be like when Indians,  wolves and big cats roamed our woods - there is a series of books called "Pennsylvania Fireside Tales" written by Jeffrey Frazier (Jeffrey R. Frazier, PA Fireside Tales, 113 Cottontail Lane, Centre Hall, PA 16828 | Phone: 814-364-1836) .  These make great reading and are available directly from the author, online (http://www.pafiresidetales.com/) or local gift shops (I first got mine at Cook Forest).  I'm not in any way related to or even know the author, but I found these books really fun to read.  I paid about $13 each and I think there are thirteen or so in the series (I only have the first three).  Good luck with your endeavor!

Theres also an old Indian burial out on #8 road just outside of Punxsy thats suppose to be haunted, ive never found it but my brother did.

Ive also heard of a house that is called "The round house", not sure where it is but if you use a Ouiji board there, then take it home, it is suppose to disappear and if you go back to the round house, it will be there.

I remember something about the 'round house' which would have been the railroad yard, being haunted. A round house is where the locomotive of the train is put on a revolving 'turntable' to make it turn around to go a different direction. I don't remember any more, other than the round house being haunted...Maybe phantom trains or something..

There are several stories about the area railyards. A hundred years ago the railroads employed hundreds around here. railroads hauled the coal and lumber from here along witrh agricultural products.  There was also many accidents. There is one story about trainman walking along the tracks who was hit by a train and it is said you can sometimes see his latern along side where the tracks once ran.  There is also a story about I80 bridge in Brookville. There have been many fatal accidents there and several occasions when drivers had accidents or broke down there at night who jumped over the side of the bridge apparently not realizing it was a long drop. Some drivers have said that when they stopped there they heard a voice yelling for them to jump. I am still researching these stories once I get more info I will make them avalible. The story of the girl's grave in Punxy I tend to believe the statute was carved simply because at that time in history to return the body to Italy would require a rather long boat trip which would have resulted in the remains decomposing to much to be taken to Italy covered in cement then shipped back. Also the actual statute does not seem to be made from cement but appears to be carved stone possibly granite but I am still researching this.

I used to work in the old Catholic School building when I worked at DRMC. The upstairs restroom was available to only one person at a time. I can remember walking down the upstairs hallway one night when I was working late and the water in the restroom sink starting running. The door was wide open with nobody in there. I also had one other instance when I was walking the upstairs hallway, again in the evening, and seeing what looked like a nun standing at the top of the stairway at the other end of the hall. Talk about creepy! After the second "scare" I never worked late by myself again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Stanley: The White ghost train the travels down the tracks and dissapears. I've never saw the white train, but I have heard and felt a train coming towards me on one of the older railbeds that arent there anymore that ran across Stanley rd above the intersection where the tracks are today. But there is more than just that out there as  I've seen and heard some weird things in this area too many times. My Great Uncle owns the land thats off to the left of the Stanley Bottom tracks at the end of Main St coming from Sykes, as well as lived at the 1st big white house w/detached 2 stall garage on the right on Stanley Rd. Mind you, He owned the land that the old street car trollies travelled thru with a stop station. Stanley Bottom was a hub for trolley/rail passengers. Growing up hunting that land and just going out there as my own quite spot to get away from everyone, I remember hearing odd things while being up there alone. Almost like two people were carrying a conversation. Or the time I heard horse hooves walking down the the old trolley track bed directly in front of me. (yes, the track beds still are clearly visable.) To this day I still witness odd things up there. It's one reason I hid a geocache there to see if anyone else notices anything weird. I didnt type aything about it in the description about any of it. So far I've had 3 people in a year and a half email me privately that found it was eerily spooky being in and around the area and asked me if I knew more about it. While I have extensive knowledge of Stanely Bottom and the Jefferson Traction Co that owned the trolley cars in the early 1890's, I havent found information on if anything has happened there.

I did a bit or reading online not too long ago about local hauntings when a local group was trying to start up to investigation paranormal activity in the area.  Do you have the stories yet about the old Central Catholic Building, Luthersburg Field and I think another part of DRMC is said to be haunted.  The area that used to be the old convent.  

I've also read about parts of 80 that are haunted, notably the stretch between Penfield and Clearfield where as I recall a businessman passing through crashed.  I'm going to have to see if I can find them all again. I am so interesting in all of that!

A few years ago a friend of mine and I was trying to start up a local branch of the Greater Pittsburgh Paranormal Society that I was a member of at the time, we had everything in order and ready to go and ready to recruit members, but he was killed in a car accident not long after and I abandoned the project.   Couldn't bring myself to continue the project without him.  At the time, the small team we did have in place did a few investigations of some local homes, one business (who to this day wishes to remain anonymous) and a few local sites such as cemeteries, "Gravity Hill" in Bedford Pa, which from what we seen was found to be created by a natural optical illusion making it look like what was an incline is actually a decline.  This was determined by GPS readings, laser levels, and line of sight.  I still do a little of my own research and investigating on my own just for fun sometimes, I do miss being on a team though.  It's time consuming and a lot of work at times, but a lot of fun and rewarding as well.