GoDuBois.com

Our Children's education. Lost time.

jaman

What are defining as normal?  180 days face-to-face instruction?  180 days hybrid instruction?  Or are we just talking about sports, dances, and extra curriculars?

On all fronts are local tri-county schools have only had 1 not "normal" year and that was 2019-2020.  Kids missed the final 9 weeks that Spring.  Kudos to our local school staff, parents, and community members for giving our kids "normal" school years in not-normal times.  

3 hours ago, MIM307 said:

What are defining as normal?  180 days face-to-face instruction?  180 days hybrid instruction?  Or are we just talking about sports, dances, and extra curriculars?

On all fronts are local tri-county schools have only had 1 not "normal" year and that was 2019-2020.  Kids missed the final 9 weeks that Spring.  Kudos to our local school staff, parents, and community members for giving our kids "normal" school years in not-normal times.  

Yes. Locally you are correct. But this is not the case in our liberal areas in America.  In person learning is denied.  I’m not sure why dems are more in favor of shutdowns and can’t see the harm of that far outweighs the harm of Covid.   Of course school unions (democrat controlled of course) push this nonsense school shut down garbage. 

1 hour ago, pennstater said:

Yes. Locally you are correct. But this is not the case in our liberal areas in America.  In person learning is denied.  I’m not sure why dems are more in favor of shutdowns and can’t see the harm of that far outweighs the harm of Covid.   Of course school unions (democrat controlled of course) push this nonsense school shut down garbage. 

No work voluntarily, NO pay.  Do you think if any of us did this at our jobs wed get FULL pay?  I didnt when schools were shutdown.

1 hour ago, jaman said:

No work voluntarily, NO pay.  Do you think if any of us did this at our jobs wed get FULL pay?  I didnt when schools were shutdown.

Yup.  My job WILL ALWAYS be in person. Theirs  should be too. It’s lazy liberal nonsense.   Liberals sure are pro lazy.  

19 hours ago, jaman said:

So when you employer is mandated to close by the state government, is that voluntary?  

Until you have watched a teacher teach from home, reserve your judgement as to if they are working or not.  Ask any teacher and they will readily tell you teaching from home/online is not desired and that they NEVER want to repeat that experience.  

1 hour ago, MIM307 said:

So when you employer is mandated to close by the state government, is that voluntary?  

Until you have watched a teacher teach from home, reserve your judgement as to if they are working or not.  Ask any teacher and they will readily tell you teaching from home/online is not desired and that they NEVER want to repeat that experience.  

Hmm. Then teachers in big cities need to demand in class learning instead of letting their unions decide.   The teachers are in charge. They pay the union, not the other way around.  You are correct but if that’s the true case then these teachers would be doing something about their unions.  

42 minutes ago, pennstater said:

Hmm. Then teachers in big cities need to demand in class learning instead of letting their unions decide.   The teachers are in charge. They pay the union, not the other way around.  You are correct but if that’s the true case then these teachers would be doing something about their unions.  

Honestly I don't care about teachers in big cities or kids in big cities or schools in big cities.  I have enough to worry about with kids in our local schools.

29 minutes ago, MIM307 said:

Honestly I don't care about teachers in big cities or kids in big cities or schools in big cities.  I have enough to worry about with kids in our local schools.

I am a retired Teacher, my daughter is a teacher working EVERY day the doors are open.   and for many days preparing for Hybrid.  I so agree with your post on this subject.  our teacher's union has NEVER called for teachers not to report.. Not fair to paint every teacher with same brush..  I agree..

2 hours ago, pennstater said:

Everyone here has had a good point here.  The problems lie with the National Union officials. They are only concerned about getting their union dues and spending it  on ridiculousness. I have 5 educators in my family.  That woman that is President of the Union-Weingarten has no idea how dedicated OUR teachers are out here in Middle America.  The teachers out here are at just as amount of risk as city teachers. The teachers are governed by local and regulated by there states.  Maybe eliminating the National Office would be the answer. And no union dues should be paid on political activities.  This National Office paints a broad brush of all teachers which isnt right.  City and rural. Just like when the miners were losing their jobs. When they went to the  national union, UMW,  sorry, we cant help you. I know a few of those old miners. Richard Trumka was President of the Union and ran as quick as he could to the AFL-CIO. The miners were left holding the bag. So much for their dues. National office dont look out for the locals. 

Thank you to our dedicated local area teachers. :thanks: