GoDuBois.com

Forgotten Town?

Paradox

It has been a while but I thought I remember reading somewhere about an old abandoned town being somewhere behind the Blinker Sheetz or more down towards the car dealers on 322 from Sheetz but I cannot find where I read it.  It was somewhere way back in the forrest and all grown over now. Can someone please shed some light on this for me?

No it isn't Helvetia...it i driving me crazy hat I can't remember where I read that.  I was just talking about abandoned towns that were close by and that one popped in my head.  I just wish I could remember where it was that I read it.

Eriton was down across from fairman drilling in behind the beagle club.

You used to be able to access a trail immediately across 119 from Murray's Ford, which goes past the concrete pump house for the Sykesville water system.  I believe WW Equipment sits on a portion of the trail now, but the trail will take you up to 322 a hundred yards or so behind Sheetz.  There was also a pond along the trail and the entire area would be ripe for the new GoDuBois Metal Detector group.  

The DuBois Area Historical Society and the Clearfield County Historical Society have a great book on lost towns.  It's called "Ghost Towns and Vanishing Villages of Clearfield County, Pennsylvania" by Richard Hughes.  

http://www.facebook.com/pages/DuBois-Area-Historical-Society-DuBois-PA/294532223946537#!/photo.php?fbid=373386196061139&set=a.373385412727884.92534.294532223946537&type=3&theater

The DuBois Area Historical Society and the Clearfield County Historical Society have a great book on lost towns.  It's called "Ghost Towns and Vanishing Villages of Clearfield County, Pennsylvania" by Richard Hughes.  

http://www.facebook.com/pages/DuBois-Area-Historical-Society-DuBois-PA/294532223946537#!/photo.php?fbid=373386196061139&set=a.373385412727884.92534.294532223946537&type=3&theater

I'm looking for the book but cannot seem to find it? Is it for sale because I'd love to get my hands on one and take a day or weekend excursion!

wow... i never heard this before.  i was just talking about centralia today with someone on facebook.  my sister in law has been to centralia a few times to do geological work for her bachelors degree and said it's pretty cool.  

The book is available at the DuBois Area Historical Society which is open 10 - 4 Tuesday and Wednesday but it will be closed July 4th.  It is also available at the Clearfield County Historical Society which is open 1:30 - 4:30 Thursday and Sunday or you can order it on line at

http://www.clfdhistory.org/public_html/bookstore.htm

Much appreciated thank you!

You used to be able to access a trail immediately across 119 from Murray's Ford, which goes past the concrete pump house for the Sykesville water system.  I believe WW Equipment sits on a portion of the trail now, but the trail will take you up to 322 a hundred yards or so behind Sheetz.  There was also a pond along the trail and the entire area would be ripe for the new GoDuBois Metal Detector group.  

Years ago there was a story of a gun being dumped in the Shawnee pond.

• 9 months later...
  • 6 years later...
On 6/29/2012 at 1:36 AM, mr.d said:

Eriton was located near intersection of Rt.322 andRt.119 across from the hamlot of West Liberty.  See story of Eriton---http://patheoldminer.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cleeriton.html

On 6/30/2012 at 7:22 PM, Jmbeck said:

my sister in law has been to centralia a few times to do geological work for her bachelors degree and said it's pretty cool.  

Actually, I understand it's rather warm  there, hot even.