GoDuBois.com

Where's Mr D?

block

1 hour ago, mr.d said:

Hi, Have had a number of physical and medical issues dealing with. After a number of doctor visits ended up in Penn Highlands DuBois for 6 days(Jan.30 to Feb.4) where they removed almost 22 pounds of fluids from abdomen area. Said Cirrhosis of liver ,I never ever drank. Now at Christ The King Manor since past Friday (lost another 2,750 CCs). Daughter brought her laptop up so i could see what is going on.

Glad to hear from you!  You've been missed!  Get well soon!

2 hours ago, mr.d said:

Hi, Have had a number of physical and medical issues dealing with. After a number of doctor visits ended up in Penn Highlands DuBois for 6 days(Jan.30 to Feb.4) where they removed almost 22 pounds of fluids from abdomen area. Said Cirrhosis of liver ,I never ever drank. Now at Christ The King Manor since past Friday (lost another 2,750 CCs). Daughter brought her laptop up so i could see what is going on.

The UPMC Center for Liver Diseases in Pittsburgh (UPMC Montefiore) is very good. Penn Highlands sent me there for treatment of my liver problems. 

12 hours ago, mr.d said:

Cirrhosis is not caused only due to alcohol. I have been dealing with it for about 3 years now. Doctors at The Center for Liver Disease in Pittsburgh think mine was caused by an autoimmune liver disease at some point in my life...no sign of it now. I've been through the fluid retention also.....take my advice get down to Pittsburgh as soon as you can. Penn Highlands ended up life flighting me to Pittsburgh....they said there was nothing more they could do for me...that was almost 3 years ago.

10 hours ago, Petee said:

Cirrhosis isn't a disease, but slow death of liver cells from eating habits.  It can be cured with foods and nutrients meant to develop new liver cells.

There are many causes of Cirrhosis...not just eating habits. How would food and nutrients help someone with Cirrhosis when there are 3 large blood clots around the entrance to the liver and the portal vein?

10 hours ago, Petee said:

Cirrhosis isn't a disease, but slow death of liver cells from eating habits.  It can be cured with foods and nutrients meant to develop new liver cells.

The Liver is one organ that DOES regenerate when needed. When I had emergency gall bladder surgery. They also had to take 1/3 of my Liver. I got the surgery pictures to prove it. I was told after a few years my Liver would regenerate after the diseased part was removed. Now that was 20 years ago.

Pop and fruit juices/drinks are one of the most dangerous things to drink, and I think we all cringe in horror when we are told that it's not safe to drink any more if you want to recover and live.

I've found that the unsweetened Bubly drinks are quite satisfying once you get used to the fact that they aren't sweet.  I get out a huge mug and put about an inch of the Bubly in it, then add and stir in a heaping teaspoon full of Monk Sweet which has to be ordered from Amazon.  Once that bubbling subsides, I pack the cup full of big chunks of ice, then I slowly add the rest of the can.  The flavoring and the small amount of sweetness compliment each other and trick you into thinking that you have a big serving of icy cold pop.

Monk Sweet is expensive but it is natural, sweeter than sugar and has no taste or digestive consequences.  It is actually healthy for your liver.  I've been using it as a sweetener for about three years now and it can't be beat on anything except price.  It is expensive although it goes a LONG way.  It looks and measures just like sugar but is about $35 for 5 pounds.  Hey, I did this to myself and now I have to pay for my years of indiscretions with sugar.  I can't complain.

I've finally gotten used to drinking coffee after 72 years of hating it.  I use a small amount of whipping cream and again a little Monk Sweet and a drop of the flavoring of my choice.  I use flavored coffee, add another 1/2 cup of boiling water to stretch the coffee.  It is sweet and creamy with a milder coffee taste but I love it and it is very filling and a good treat.

Taking the time to find low carb food and drink is a chore, but eventually you acquire a list of things that you can consume and actually enjoy.  Once in a rare while I grab a couple of my husband's French Fries but they only taste good for a few seconds, then they taste of nasty chemicals, not potatoes.

Learning to use less natural sweetener is part of the battle.  I can't drink or eat sickeningly sweet things very much anymore, but I managed to down Tiramisu tonight at Luigi's.  Although I thoroughly enjoyed it, it was a rare treat and I felt really sluggish with a hair of nausea by the time I got home.  The last thing I want right now is anything sweet, just lots of water.  Real treats on occasions remind you that you really have changed for the better.

You can adjust to healthier eating if you genuinely try and get your head out of the TV commercials that make you want anything that is junk food.  It really is junk food because it junks up your organs and then start looking at junk food as a tool of the enemy.