GoDuBois.com

Du Bois-Sandy Township Greenway

rich00

Seriously, why on earth do we "need" a bicycle tunnel from nowhere to nowhere?...Isn't Sandy Township and DuBois already connected? It sounds like another scheme to use up some money, from somewhere...What is the picture of? not the tunnel being discussed......Can you imagine the mischief magnet that would be?

As long as it is from private funding I'm OK with it....as a state or a country we cannot spend monies on programs like this.

True.. A person can still spend their own money on anything they want..If this project is totally, privately, built and maintained, and insured, and endowed, ...go for it..

I think it is a wonderful idea ....... I grew up in the area of the tunnel back in the 60's   and remember when trains used it daily ..... I would love to see not only the tunnel but also the two bridges ( 1 over Maple ave and 1 over Chestnut) converted to walker / rider use and even completed the entire way to Shaffer road (the mall area)  instead of becoming an eyesore and dumping ground  .... If you have never been on a rails to trails bike / hike path.... you should try it ..... we use the one in Brockway all the time and have ridden just short of being in Ridgway it is very a peaceful and very beautiful trail ....  I believe it would be a welcomed addition the  community and would also cut down on the congestion of bike and walkers on beaver walkway.    :)

I'm not from around here originally, so I could be wrong, but by looking at that map on the link.....isn't that out in the middle of no where? It looks like it may be near the elementary school.

How does a bicyclist or walker get from point A to point B now?

I'm not from around here originally, so I could be wrong, but by looking at that map on the link.....isn't that out in the middle of no where? It looks like it may be near the elementary school.

How does a bicyclist or walker get from point A to point B now?

The former train rails that could be used for rails to trails actually could start out behind the car wash on Brady street  by "number two shaft road" and run the entire way to Lezzers. I once knew how many miles it was between those two points.... but I dont remember anymore  :-/   but it could also be made to tie into the beaver walkway by branching off of the railway and going behind the creamery and tie into the walkway bridge by Showers field ...... many years ago the train tracks actually did "Y" off back there and ran across the creek to where Martins is now ..... If you ever get the chance go and check out  the rails to trails in Brockway I think you'll be amazed at just how nice and popular it really is ....

All of the old rails to trails will need volunteers.......They're great ...Only a few will ever use or appreciate them..WE who understand can make some here..,,,,Own a bike..Get together with the planners,join a work group, and do some of the work...... maybe just by yourself.......I think the old Highland Street tunnel shown runs under that school property....

2007:

http://www.americantrails.org/resources/fedfund/MakeRTPwork.html

The demand for projects is very heavy in Pennsylvania. Last we received 67 applications with a total project cost of over $6.5 million and requesting over $4.1 million in grant funds. We were able to fund 39 of those projects. Pennsylvania is very fortunate in that we received slightly more than $1.0 million in federal TEA21 funds for the Recreational Trails Program. Last year the Pennsylvania State Legislature also gave the program another $1.0 million to fund recreational trails projects. As a result, we were able to provide over $2.0 million for Recreational Trails Projects. The Legislature has provided another $1.0 million for the current grant round as well.

Another exciting event in Pennsylvania is the new Growing Greener funding program, which will provide adding funding for the planning, acquisition and development of all types of conservation and recreation projects, including recreational trails. This new initiative will actually allow us to expand the scope of recreational trail projects that can be funded. Trail organizations will now be eligible to apply for planning or feasibility studies, which is currently not allowed under the federal Recreational Trails program.

Unlike the walkway, there is nothing "scenic" about that area. As I remember it from years ago, it is a pretty nasty place. It certainly is as remote as you can get. I wouldn't go there alone, especially in the old tunnel, and definately not a place you would want kids to go.

Unlike the walkway, there is nothing "scenic" about that area. As I remember it from years ago, it is a pretty nasty place. It certainly is as remote as you can get. I wouldn't go there alone, especially in the old tunnel, and definately not a place you would want kids to go.

I agree .... there is nothing very scenic around the tunnel area but once you get past the Maple ave. bridge the scenery does get better and the tunnel area has become a pretty nasty place because.... we have let it become a pretty nasty place ...... I'll bet these rails to trails (on the link below) were most likely in the same condition when they first started ..... from the pictures on the website it looks like a really nice place today .... I know I do plan on going there to ride soon and will take some pics to post on here ....   :)

http://www.avta-trails.org/allegheny-samuel-trails.html

I used to run from Highland St. & down across Maple bridge & out to the mall years ago.  There was a path then & a train also out to the mall.  Got caught one day between the water/bank & climbed up the steep bank waiting for the train to pass, only slightly frightened hanging onto some weeds for support.

Anyway, I think any improvement would be great.  The plan, if I'm correct, is to eventually connect with other trails/towns.  That'd be amazing.  

This thread is not for couch potatoes.  They cannot understand the natural euphoria experienced with being in touch with nature.   More people should get out, they might like it.  Biking is easy, fun, and a great stress reliever.

By the way, the Brockway to Ridgway trail is such a beautiful & flat trail.   Definitely one of my favorites!  

I used to run from Highland St. & down across Maple bridge & out to the mall years ago.  There was a path then & a train also out to the mall.  Got caught one day between the water/bank & climbed up the steep bank waiting for the train to pass, only slightly frightened hanging onto some weeds for support.

Anyway, I think any improvement would be great.  The plan, if I'm correct, is to eventually connect with other trails/towns.  That'd be amazing.  

This thread is not for couch potatoes.  They cannot understand the natural euphoria experienced with being in touch with nature.   More people should get out, they might like it. Biking is easy, fun, and a great stress reliever.

By the way, the Brockway to Ridgway trail is such a beautiful & flat trail.   Definitely one of my favorites!  

:clap:

You are so right about it being a stress reliever ...... When I'm riding ...I think of nothing but riding .... We always stop at the swinging bridge when riding from Brockway to Ridgway .... I found it a great way to leave my worries far behind  (if only for a little while)

Wow ... how that has grown over .... I remember putting pennies on the tracks so they would get flattened and stretched by the trains that went by .... that had to be 40 years ago .... I guess you really can't go home again .....   :-/

10_1557_4015.jpg

Aerial view of the Railroad tracks and the tunnel located in between Tozier Avenue & Highland Street School.

In the lower left corner is Triangle Auto Springs. In the middle right is the Highland Street School and in the upper right hand corner is Hillcrest.

tunnel_6124.jpg

Guest madre

I agree charvel, there is no place to ride here and that would come out pretty darn close to our house!  I'm in!

This would be awesome. There is nowhere to bike ride in this town and to have something like what brockway has would be money well spent and something well used in this area.

OK ..... so lets not just talk about it ....lets see if we can get something started and built .....whether you   hike .... jog ....or ride a bike ....   it would benefit all .... so lets see a show of who would be in .... it may not be easy  and may take some time but I feel it would be well worth the effort ....