GoDuBois.com

Du Bois-Sandy Township Greenway

rich00

Du Bois-Sandy Township Greenway

Gastropods at the Cottage Hill Tunnel

The hillsides immediately South of the Cottage Hill Tunnel in the City of Du Bois are a "fossil zone."  Generations of Du Bois area residents, and their children, have enjoyed the excitement of searching for and collecting fossils.  In fact, the "fossil zone: is well documented in "Fossil Collecting in Pennsylvania."  Interpretive signage and educational programs should be considered.

gastropods_at_du_bois2_4204.pdf

fossil_sign_6979.png

interp_panel_3519.jpg

gastropods_at_du_bois_5891.jpg

Guest madre

Had to try and give a fossil hunter directions to the area about a week ago...ended up asking my son, as all the kids know where the tunnel is.  They say it's haunted...notice the orbs?   ;)   I haven't made it up there yet, but one of these "free" days, I might take a hike up....maybe even walk the entire span you have covered on the map.

Dear Soccermom,

I don't have a complete copy of this book. However, the document on the link below has the pages devoted to Du Bois.  Included is a photo of some cool things in my (and brother Lewie's) "Tunnel" fossil collection.  Thanks to Carmen Parziale for bringing this book to my attention.

https://files.me.com/richlevine1/1ozv1y

Thanks for the link. I've been searching for that book for years. My son and I have a very impression fossil collection from the Highland Tunnel. He found a trilobite and I have several mold and casts.

I've driven by the "pit" on Route 119 for many years and never once thought to stop there for a dig. We'll have to give that a try as well. I've been to the rail tunnel across the road, though, and it's not a very pleasant place because it's almost always filled with water.

Thanks for the link. I've been searching for that book for years. My son and I have a very impression fossil collection from the Highland Tunnel. He found a trilobite and I have several mold and casts.

I've driven by the "pit" on Route 119 for many years and never once thought to stop there for a dig. We'll have to give that a try as well. I've been to the rail tunnel across the road, though, and it's not a very pleasant place because it's almost always filled with water.

I hope that you will consider posting pictures of the triolobite.   I have never seen one of these at the Tunnel, and think the find is exceptional.   Bet lots of local folks have interesting collections.   If there is an interest I can post pictures of the most common.

I hope that you will consider posting pictures of the triolobite.   I have never seen one of these at the Tunnel, and think the find is exceptional.   Bet lots of local folks have interesting collections.   If there is an interest I can post pictures of the most common.

I'll have him dig it out for a photo op. He keeps it put away in a box. We've also found many beautiful fern fossils at Highland. We found a very interesting fossil at Parker Dam which we've never been able to identify. We also have a very large fossil from the DuBois area that looks a lot like the picture on the front of the Fossil Collecting in Pennsylvania book.

fossil_2962.jpg

Guest madre

"He keeps it put away in a box."   Yours too?  

Ours is in a box, in a chest that is locked with the only key inside a safe that I don't have the combination for!   ;D

Du Bois-Sandy Township Greenways Partnership

The meeting at the Du Bois Public Library on Tuesday May 24th will begin at 5:30 and adjourn at 7:30 in accordance with library closing hours.  

Julie Stewart has kindly reserved a table for folks to continue the discussion at "Stew's Brew" just across the street and will remain open until 9:00.

Thanks for your support Julie!

greenway_tunnel_8461.jpg

Guest madre

So, how'd the meeting go?  We have too much going on right now to get fully involved, but when it comes time to cleanup we might be able to spend a day or two over there.

We had a very successful meeting.  Got to look @ some maps, also got some real good info & history from Rich.  We talked short term & long term goals.  If anyone wants to take a Sunday AM walk to check out the proposed greenway (trail) just meet us @ Shower's Field @ 9 am sharp (behind magistrate's office on Maple Avenue).   That's this Sunday.  Will take prob. an hour or two.  Wear hiking gear & some spots will be wet.  There is so much to do and this is such an exciting project!  There has already been some cleanup going on.  We are only in the very beginning stages but will have much more to report on soon.  Please join us if you can!

Guest madre

Already have a cleanup event to go to on Sunday, which happens to start at 9am also  :-/  We'll get out one of these evenings with a garbage bag...promise!

DON'T FORGET the DuBois-Sandy Township Greenway Partnership is having a Sunday AM walk to check out the proposed greenway through the Highland Street Railroad Tunnel. Meet them @ Shower's Field @ 9 am this Sunday, May 29, 2011 (behind the District Magistrate office on Maple Avenue).

9_7654.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Du Bois-Sandy Greenway Partnership

Here's a video of the Montour Tunnel in Allegheny County.

It serves as an excellent model for upgrading the Highland Street Tunnel as a pedestrian and bicycle transportation corridor.

Check it out!

Du Bois-Sandy Greenway Partnership

Du Bois-Sandy Greenway Partnership volunteers have been busy.

Deacon Paul Boboige is Trail Steward of the Wolf Run Trail that goes from Falls Creek to McMinn's Summit.  He is an experienced trail builder in our part of the PA Wilds.

Deacon Paul recently made a video tour of the proposed Du Bois Sandy Greenway.

It is in two parts.

Come along, take the tour!  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

TRI-COUNTY RAILS TO TRAILS

Tri-County Rails to Trails invites everyone to a public annual meeting at the Brockwayville Depot, Thursday, January 26 at 7pm. You will receive an update on the Brockway Trail Town project and trail connector to unite the three trails. The meeting is informal. Speakers from North Central Regional Planning and Development Council and PA Great Outdoors tourist bureau will be there.

I need to mark my calendar to check this out.

I grew up a couple houses above the Chestnut Ave bridge so this was my stomping ground.

I tried to explain to my kids things we did before the electronic age.

The hill on the side of that bridge was great to slide down on cardboard that we got from wards warehouse.

I still remember people getting coal off the hill from when some of the train cars tipped.

Ooh if those rails could talk.....The stories of young kids with too much time back in the day!

How is the group coming with plans for a Rails to Trails in DuBois? Heard a lot about it last year on here, then it seemed to fizzle out.In today's Sunday paper it said Brockway is having a meeting about Rails to Trails this Thursday at 7pm at the Brockway Depot. it states they will be discussing connecting Falls Creek to Brockway and Falls Creek to Allen Mills. Isn't their enough bike riders in DuBois to get involved and bring the trail thru DuBois? Maybe in honor of bicyclist Dr Varacallo? Maybe DRMC could help with the costs and name the part of the DuBois section after him. Maybe the Varacallo family could spear head this project in his honor. I know they had a ride last year in his honor, but why don't they do something permanent in his honor that would benefit the whole area he loved to ride in. Just some suggestions.

if on main street headin gout towards Brookville it is off on side street to the right but I can't remamberwhat street to turn right on

Turn right at 5th Street. The Depot is located back there about 1 block along the railroad tracks.

Guest guess_who

Turn right at 5th Street. The Depot is located back there about 1 block along the railroad tracks.

Ok, thanks.  I think I can find it now.  :)