GoDuBois.com

Du Bois-Sandy Township Greenway

rich00

I know I would too.  And I think that with the proper execution, the entire project would end up not only preserving the railroad history, it would also provide a scenic trail.  Its all in how it will be done.  I hope they get the grants and the go ahead.  I lived on Hillcrest as a kid, and remember the trains going through daily.  Our eighth grade class did a fossil hunt there, and it was great!  We're losing far too much of the great railroad history of our area.  My late father was a proud B&O man, and I think he'd like to see the RR history preserved somehow.  Preserving the no longer used tunnels, rail lines, and bridges, for Rails To Trails use, serves two great purposes!  

I say "just do it!"

OK ...so maybe we could set up a meeting for all who are interseted and start to plan where to take this next .... Rich from the PM you sent me it appears you have some experience in matters like these (where to begin and who to contact) ..... would you be able to take the lead ?

Yes, I can take the lead to help get things going.  But ultimately, there needs to be a board of directors with a 501c3 status, to receive community grants and private contributions, in kind or monetary.  Building a greenway is serious business and will take committed volunteers.   Greenways for pedestrians and bicycles are no longer just regarded as recreation.  They are now considered  "public transportation" by the Department of Transportation.  

This project would PRIMARILY be locally funded, with oversight and some funding from government sources.

The next step is to pick a date, time and place for a public meeting. This can be announced on this thread.

The Du Bois - Sandy Township Greenway Partnership is a suggested starting name, but certainly other names could be used.

So, any church, school or non-profit that would be interested in hosting the public meeting?

Time to start thinking about a "work crew" or "teams" to start clearing the Du Bois-Sandy "Rails to Trails" of rubbish and debris.  The Cottage Hill Tunnel (aka Highland Street Tunnel) area is especially messy with abandoned tires, furniture, etc.  The grafitti can be replaced with wall art.   The trail from the Tunnel to the twin rail overpasses at Chestnut and Maple is actually very lush and would make an excellent 'linear park' with the help of some green-thumb volunteers. We don't have to wait months/years for money to refurbish the overpasses.  With some nicely designed "way-signage", there could be well-marked safety crossings at Hillcrest, Chestnut and Maple Avenues for pedestrians, bikes, walkers, joggers and wheel-chairs to access the Beaver Meadow Walkway and Du Bois Mall.    This is something that could be done THIS Summer....

Photo's taken the Summer of 2010 of the Maple Avenue Railroad Bridge and Railroad tracks over the Creek on Maple Avenue.

If we were being sensible, we would be lobbying to get this eyesore railroad bridge removed from the location over Maple Avenue. It is a major hazard, and has not had any maintenance for decades. Or are we going to wait until it or the decking crashes down onto the roadway below. I wonder if it is ever inspected for structural integrity and safety..It would be a major boost to the area to have it gone. To try and preserve this monstrosity so a handful of bicycle riders can ride over it is pie in the sky stuff...

Time to start thinking about a "work crew" or "teams" to start clearing the Du Bois-Sandy "Rails to Trails" of rubbish and debris.  The Cottage Hill Tunnel (aka Highland Street Tunnel) area is especially messy with abandoned tires, furniture, etc.  The grafitti can be replaced with wall art.   The trail from the Tunnel to the twin rail overpasses at Chestnut and Maple is actually very lush and would make an excellent 'linear park' with the help of some green-thumb volunteers. We don't have to wait months/years for money to refurbish the overpasses.  With some nicely designed "way-signage", there could be well-marked safety crossings at Hillcrest, Chestnut and Maple Avenues for pedestrians, bikes, walkers, joggers and wheel-chairs to access the Beaver Meadow Walkway and Du Bois Mall.    This is something that could be done THIS Summer....

PM your contact number so I can forward to some young men who are willing to help with the cleanup down @ the tunnel.   This has been their neighborhood growing up & think it's a great idea.   Also, I know one specifically who is very interested in helping with the entire project to get it up & going.

Looking forward to this wonderful transition and, of course, will do what I can to help out.

(ok folks, here we go....!)

Du Bois-Sandy Township Greenways Partnership

The first meeting of the Du Bois-Sandy Township Greenways Partnership will be held on Tuesday, May 24th, 2011 from 5:30-7:30 PM at the Du Bois Public Library, 31 South Brady Street, Du Bois, PA.

Everyone is welcome and interested students are encouraged to attend.

Agenda:

Vision: The Du Bois- Sandy Township Greenway

Greenway Benefits

Forming a Greenway Partnership

Partnership Goals:  Short and Long term

Greenway Education Programs

Funding

Partnership with municipalities, DCNR and PennDOT

Memberships and Volunteers

Advisory Boards

Forming a Steering Committee

Scheduling Next Meeting

Adjourn

Things to bring:

Notepad and Pen

Questions

Suggestions

Google/Railroad Maps

Photos and Drawings

Guest madre

Great job getting this underway, Rich!  Don't know what our schedule is going to be like next week, but we'll try.  We're just finishing up another project we've been working on so the timing is good  8)

Okay, I'm "in" as well.

Doesn't the Maple Avenue Bridge go along Shower's Field? Are you looking to tie the trail into the new bridge to the Beaver Meadow Walkway or are you looking at coming out at the mall in a different location?

Dear Soccermom,

Good question.   Showers Field and the Beaver Meadow Walkway could be accessed from the Du Bois-Sandy Greenway with a short exit trail/ramp at the end of the Maple Avenue Bridge.  Meanwhile, pedestrians, runners, bikes etc. could proceed directly from West Sandy to Shaffer Road near Leezers at the Du Bois Mall.  This option would use the full length of the railroad easement and intersect with the Beaver Meadow Walkway at two locations.

Another question is where to develop trailheads in Sandy Township?    What locations would be best for public parking?

This is why we'll need to be looking at maps.

If you jog or ride your bike around the curve by Keller Brother's Dry cleaning you are taking your life into your hands.  There is NO room between the cars and the curb as you head towards Sheetz.

That is just one of the many reasons this area needs this trail way  ..... think of how many times the runners / joggers / walkers and bike riders of the area  have come up against the very situation you just mentioned ...... I know I'll be at the meeting on the 24th ..... and I hope all of you will be also....   :)

Dear Soccermom,

Good question.   Showers Field and the Beaver Meadow Walkway could be accessed from the Du Bois-Sandy Greenway with a short exit trail/ramp at the end of the Maple Avenue Bridge.  Meanwhile, pedestrians, runners, bikes etc. could proceed directly from West Sandy to Shaffer Road near Leezers at the Du Bois Mall.  This option would use the full length of the railroad easement and intersect with the Beaver Meadow Walkway at two locations.

Another question is where to develop trailheads in Sandy Township?    What locations would be best for public parking?

This is why we'll need to be looking at maps.

I could see one trailhead maybe near the Triangle Springs baseball field. The line crosses just above there. That might be a good place to start.

Guest mickeyvixie

I think the trail is a great idea.   Love the walkway ,but it does get a bit crowded and my DD makes me nervous when we pass people.  I am always afraid she will wind up over the hill into the creek.   ??)   Plus a lot of the people that are walkers and bikers on there do not understand the "ON YOUR LEFT"  courtesy shout out when passing others.  We have actually had to stop our bikes and SHOUT "EXCUSE ME" at people because they weren't paying attention (no headphones too :-/   *shrug????)  and there were others coming the opposite way, so no room to pass.  It was one of those either stop or down the bank or up their butts we go.   ;D  Riding in the grass is difficult at best.  It is very narrow for the traffic it gets.

Tho I am still not sure exactly where it is planned, I have a general idea from soccermom's suggestion and if I am right that would be a great place to have a trailhead.

We will try to be there but regardless keep us updated on developments on here.

Guest mickeyvixie

LOL @ Cando   I think a cattle prod would be a better tool at times. ;D

I sent the info for the meeting out to Girl Scouts and asked them to send it on to others like church groups, schools etc.   Hopefully we can make this become a reality.

I would love to come to the meeting, but my husband works that day.  Is it okay if I bring my 3-year-old with me?  I agree that we need some sort of decent trail in the area.  Hubby and I also use the Brockway rails to trails frequently in the summer and do the whole ride from Brockway to Ridgway.  I would love to have a trail in town to ride and I hope that they also get the funding they are looking for to connect DuBois to the Brockway trail.

Guest mickeyvixie

Thank you for the map Rich.   Now I know where it is.  I do much better with visuals.  :)

Okay, I like the idea of keeping the path on the opposite side of Sandy Lick AWAY from the walkway. Maybe put a trailhead right there where the new footbridge is located. Can you actually see the old rail bed on that side of Sandy Lick? I've never gone the whole way on that side of Maple Avenue.

As to the rail bed from the Tunnel to Triangle, that side should be no problem. There's nothing really there. If you walk halfway from the tunnel towards Triangle and cross a small stream to the left of the rail bed and climb a small hill, there's actually an old foundation up in the woods. It looks like it might of been an old car garage or something similar. Does anyone know anything about it?  Might be an interesting and historical fact for the trail. I don't have any idea who owns the land through there on either side of the rail bed. It's mostly swampy.

Here's a photo showing the South bank of the Sandy Lick Creek, across from the Beaver Meadow Walkway.  The upper level is the proposed Du Bois-Sandy Township Greenway and is slightly elevated over the lower level access trail.  This would allow pedestrian and bicycle traffic on both sides of the Sandy Lick Creek and decrease traffic congestion.

south_bank_sandy_lick_creek_6482.jpg