GoDuBois.com

Du Bois-Sandy Township Greenway

rich00

• 2 months later...

TRAIL TOWN BROCKWAY

The Trail Town Brockway committee meets tonight at the Mengle Library conference room at 6:30. All are welcome, especially anyone who like to serve on a committee or volunteers to improve the Brockway-Allens Mills trail are welcome.

One goal of the plan is to connect Falls Creek to Brockway using the Wolf Run Trail.

Learn about the "Trail Town Model" for recreation and economic development.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest tompepper

Maybe if we had it Dr.V would still be with us.He rode the area alot.He lived out near the begining.May be name a section after him.

Maybe if we had it Dr.V would still be with us.He rode the area alot.He lived out near the begining.May be name a section after him.

That's a great idea! I know they have a walk or ride every year in Dr Varacallo's honor. I wonder where the money goes to that they raise from it? Does anyone know what they put it towards? The bike path would be a great way to memorialize him. Does any one know his grown children that you could approach them about having the DuBois section of the path named in his honor? They would probably get a lot of donations since he was so beloved and respected in our community.

• 1 month later...

There is now a proposal before the North Central PA Planning Commission to reopen the rail line from Du Bois to Curwensville. This would serve as a wonderful rail trail along historic Anderson Creek and bring substantial tourism and investment to Clearfield County.

The Du Bois-Sandy Greenway could serve as an I-80 "PA Wilds" traihead to Curwensville and Clearfield, north to Brockway, Brookville and Ridgway, and eventually east to Penfield and Elk Country.

I'm sure there will be local interest and support for such a study. Hopefully, the Corman Railroad Company will quickly clear all right of way legal issues to reclaim theis historic transportation corridor.  For those you interested in local history, the lower portion of the trail runs along the Great Shamokin Path to the Susquehanna River.

The safety of bikers and hikers is the prime concern. The first minute of this video from a popular rail trial near Jim Thorp shows how it is done.

Commercial rail service and bicycle tourism are highly compatible, and together they would bring sustainable economic investment and Clearfield County.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 10 months later...
1 hour ago, rich00 said:

Here is a video on the abandoned Highland Street Tunnel.  Maybe some day........

Thank you for the tour.  It was both interesting and beautiful!   Look into a grant process that could be available.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, rich00 said:

Many generations and many stories about adventures at the Tunnel. What is the chance of getting this project on the agenda of the DuBois-Sandy Consolidation Committee?

There is a survey being planned seeking recreational ideas from DuBois - Sandy residents.You can submit what you would like to be developed.  Should be ready in a few months.

Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 11.18.05 PM.png

• 1 month later...

GODUBOIS COMMUNITY

Many generations of former and current residents have related adventures, stories and local traditions about the Highland Street Tunnel, and voiced support of a Walkway connecting DuBois and Sandy through the Highland Street Tunnel by posting home made videos and photos on this GoDuBois thread.

A survey is now being planned by the DuBois-Sandy Recreation Subcommittee seeking recreational ideas from DuBois-Sandy residents on future unplanned projects.

Here is a proposal for the consideration of the DuBois-Sandy Recreation Subcommittee titled:

“Connecting DuBois and Sandy Township: Building a Walkway from a West Sandy Trailhead near Triangle Springs through the Highland Street Tunnel to Shaffer Road and the DuBois Mall.”

It is hoped that DuBois-Sandy residents and organizations will consider the merits of this proposal for discussion and inclusion in the upcoming survey.

Tunnel with Runners.jpg

Connecting DuBois ans Sandy Twp..pdf

• 1 year later...
On 5/17/2011 at 12:31 PM, soccermom said:

Thanks for the link. I've been searching for that book for years. My son and I have a very impression fossil collection from the Highland Tunnel. He found a trilobite and I have several mold and casts.

I've driven by the "pit" on Route 119 for many years and never once thought to stop there for a dig. We'll have to give that a try as well. I've been to the rail tunnel across the road, though, and it's not a very pleasant place because it's almost always filled with water.

Where is the "pit"? That sounds interesting