GoDuBois.com

March 23 1896

Borninabarn

116 Years ago today My Great Great Grand Father...Henry Harvey along with 12 others lost their lives in a coal mine...this mine was and is under the Du Bois Mall...

DuBois, Pennsylvania March 23, 1896 TERRIBLE MINE EXPLOSION.

13 Men Killed Outright

The following miners were killed today by an explosion in the Berwind-White mine:

Their names are as follows:

GEORGE HARVEY

HENRY HARVEY

REUBEN NOBLE

HENRYY SMITH,

JAMES GRAHAM, Sr.,

JAMES GRAHAM, Jr.

LINDSEY H. BRADLEY

JOHN MONROE

JESSE POSTLEHWAITE

GEO. POSTLETHWAITE

ANDREW NOWAK

DAVID BELL

GEORGE AINSLEY

The Accident at the Berwind-White Mine Was Caused by the Firing of a Charge.

BODIES FRIGHTFULLY MANGLED

The dead were kept below until their mangled bodies could be made presentable. They were washed, wrapped in blankets and then sent up, many wives, and mothers

who were crowding around the mouth of the shaft, fainted at the sight of the dead bodies.

The mine on the north side was wrecked, beams and supports were smashed into match wood. Rails were twisted and the roof caved in. The victims all met their deaths

from the force of the explosion.

I found Henry's grave at Rumbarger last year...

_du_bois_2_2995.jpg

0215010951b_6936.jpg

Various News Accounts

One of the companies that helped coal mining become a major industry for DuBois was the Berwind-White Coal Company. It purchased 2,000 acres of land southeast of DuBois and put down a shaft where the DuBois Mall is now located. In 1900, it was taken over by the Buffalo and Susquehanna Coal and Coke Company and became known as B & S Shaft #1. A new railroad, known as the B & S, was constructed from Sinnemahoning to Shaft #1, using a new tunnel dug at Sabula. The railroad line continued to Armstrong County. A second shaft known as B & S. #2 was opened just beyond Highland Street a few years later. Labor disputes in 1929 forced the closing of the B & S and Northwest Mining and Exchange Company operations, and they were never reopened. The shafts flooded, effectively bringing an end to deep shaft mining.

DUBOIS, PA., March 23.

Various News Accounts

One of the companies that helped coal mining become a major industry for DuBois was the Berwind-White Coal Company. It purchased 2,000 acres of land southeast of DuBois and put down a shaft where the DuBois Mall is now located. In 1900, it was taken over by the Buffalo and Susquehanna Coal and Coke Company and became known as B & S Shaft #1. A new railroad, known as the B & S, was constructed from Sinnemahoning to Shaft #1, using a new tunnel dug at Sabula. The railroad line continued to Armstrong County. A second shaft known as B & S. #2 was opened just beyond Highland Street a few years later. Labor disputes in 1929 forced the closing of the B & S and Northwest Mining and Exchange Company operations, and they were never reopened. The shafts flooded, effectively bringing an end to deep shaft mining.

DUBOIS, PA., March 23.

• 1 year later...