GoDuBois.com

History of Sabula

block

A few years ago, I remember seeing a book published by one of the Dodd's from Sabula.  Was primarily about the Dodd family, but it gave quite a bit of information about the entire area.

I would like to read that book ,do you know how to get a copy? ;)

• 11 months later...

My grandmother Jennie Smith Dixon wrote The Hills of Home and the library used to have a copy. I have a copy but would never lend it out. Sorry. Clara Duttry, I knew her and she was a wonderful sweet woman.

With all due respect to the deceased, that cemetery looks like something out of Stephen King's "Creepshow". I think I'll stick to the more modern ones :)

I used to drive up there when spotting deer, yes it looks creepy at night. I remember someone having pics of that cemetery and some strange orbs floating around, be afraid be very afraid..  ;)

Are you asking about the Bundy Cemetery or the one back towards Rattlesnake/Fire Tower Road in the woods?

I think I might have been inquiring about Bundy cemetery. Is it closer to the Sabula area as opposed to the one on Fire Tower Road? I was referring to the one on Fire Tower Road being a little overgrown -- which is sad, in a way. It should be kept up if anyone can get out there routinely.

Also, where was the Indian burial ground in Sabula?

I think I might have been inquiring about Bundy cemetery. Is it closer to the Sabula area as opposed to the one on Fire Tower Road? I was referring to the one on Fire Tower Road being a little overgrown -- which is sad, in a way. It should be kept up if anyone can get out there routinely.

The rumor is the Bish Cemetery was, but apparently it is not nor has it ever been an Indian burial site: http://www.pagenweb.org/~elk/hortonsmallcemeteries.htm

Is this maybe the cemetery you're talking about? http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=591002

The rumor is the Bish Cemetery was, but apparently it is not nor has it ever been an Indian burial site: http://www.pagenweb.org/~elk/hortonsmallcemeteries.htm

Is this maybe the cemetery you're talking about? http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=591002

Thank you...so the Bish Cemetery is the small overgrown one, and the Boone Mountain one is obviously the other one, right? 

I think that there was a previous post that said something about a archelogical dig site being on a Kahlgren property.  That may be at least one of the sites you are refering to.

I believe so, but I could be wrong. It's been a while since I've been out that way.

Thanks, I at least know the locations. 

I think that there was a previous post that said something about a archelogical dig site being on a Kahlgren property.  That may be at least one of the sites you are refering to.

Not sure where the Kalgren property is, but that was going to be my next question (about the archaeological dig sites). It seems like the history of Sabula is shadowed by DuBois history in general. I think it'd be interesting to delve deeper into it. 

Thanks, I at least know the locations. 

Not sure where the Kalgren property is, but that was going to be my next question (about the archaeological dig sites). It seems like the history of Sabula is shadowed by DuBois history in general. I think it'd be interesting to delve deeper into it. 

Can't help you with the Kahlgren property location, although I'm sure someone from Sabula will chime in with more info.

As for DuBois' history, it evolved into the social and economic center of the area.  As people becam more mobile they seemed to travel to DuBois for their shopping, drinking and dining activities. That still remains true today, maybe to a somewhat lesser extent, since other areas have grown in their offerings of alternative choices.

It has always been somewhat confusing to me when I look around the area and see the lack of restaurants in many surrounding communities where we have an abundance of them.  Many of which are frequented by people from 30-40 miles away on a regular basis.  I suspect that I-80 has helped that in the more recent years, but that still doesn't explain towns like St Marys, Ridgway and Brockway where there is a distinct local support thinking and restaurants seem to struggle to stay in business. 

One of the Dodds that were the family that worked at the old DuBois Powdered Metals had it.  I believe it was self published.

Guess Dodgemans family didn't want to share their info with him .. lol. Maybe one of the libraries around the area have the book???

aunts & uncles? cousins?

Guess Dodgemans family didn't want to share their info with him .. lol. Maybe one of the libraries around the area have the book???

aunts & uncles? cousins?

The DuBois Public Library does indeed have two copies: one that circulates and one that does not. :)

Bundy Cemetery is on Bundy Settlement Road and is neatly kept.  The road has been renamed by some schmuck to say Sierra Heights.  I guess they can't tell the difference between the Rockies and the Appalachians.  It is on top of the mountain and has both stone steps up to it and a big stone with the Bundy Cemetery name in it.  While it is the property of the county, as are all non-commercial cemeteries, it is still overseen by a member of the Bundy Family.  There are no ghosts, orbs or any other sort of phenomena but there is a beautiful view of the sky for watching shooting stars.  The parking is horrible.  You reach it by turning up Kilmer Road at Sabula Dam.  On the way you can pass the original Pine Grove School house where my Mother attended.  She was Ellen "Louise" Bundy Hollobaugh.  Most of my direct ancestors are buried there

There is also a small cemetery that you pass at the Emmanuel Boone Mountain Church.  Also known as the Pine Grove Cemetery.

I'm not certain where the Bish Cemetery is located but there is one just off of the main road from Sabula to Penfield.  Elaine and Sam Spicher are buried there.  About a mile beyond Sabula you turn left onto a dirt road and it is also up on the  hill on the right.

The only confirmed indian encampment is located on Kilmer Road about two miles on the right near the Kalgren home.  There is nothing to see.  No indian burial grounds exist.  They have either been lost to time and nature or they were buried in cemeteries just like the English and other settlers.

The burial grounds are on my Grandpa's old land, he sold it years ago and they found neat stuff when they were excavating the land.. Its off of Kilmer road. ;)

aunts & uncles? cousins?

My Mom had the book for a while and then gave it back to the family, I'm not sure where it is now. :o

• 4 weeks later...

The burial grounds are on my Grandpa's old land, he sold it years ago and they found neat stuff when they were excavating the land.. Its off of Kilmer road. ;)

I'm not sure where your grandpa's old land was but there were several indian encampments in and around Sabula.The most notorious had over 160 bodies excavated in the late 70's.I have a bunch of old articles about it that are pretty interesting.There's a bunch of neat history about it but it's not easy to find.I wouldn't take a ride up there unannounced though unless you know the landowner.

Bundy Cemetery is on Bundy Settlement Road and is neatly kept.  The road has been renamed by some schmuck to say Sierra Heights.  I guess they can't tell the difference between the Rockies and the Appalachians.  It is on top of the mountain and has both stone steps up to it and a big stone with the Bundy Cemetery name in it.  While it is the property of the county, as are all non-commercial cemeteries, it is still overseen by a member of the Bundy Family.  There are no ghosts, orbs or any other sort of phenomena but there is a beautiful view of the sky for watching shooting stars.  The parking is horrible.  You reach it by turning up Kilmer Road at Sabula Dam.  On the way you can pass the original Pine Grove School house where my Mother attended.  She was Ellen "Louise" Bundy Hollobaugh.  Most of my direct ancestors are buried there

There is also a small cemetery that you pass at the Emmanuel Boone Mountain Church.  Also known as the Pine Grove Cemetery.

I'm not certain where the Bish Cemetery is located but there is one just off of the main road from Sabula to Penfield.  Elaine and Sam Spicher are buried there.  About a mile beyond Sabula you turn left onto a dirt road and it is also up on the  hill on the right.

The only confirmed indian encampment is located on Kilmer Road about two miles on the right near the Kalgren home.  There is nothing to see.  No indian burial grounds exist.  They have either been lost to time and nature or they were buried in cemeteries just like the English and other settlers.

I'm pretty sure the Bish cemetery is the one down fire tower rd.Many of the hilltops around Sabula had indian encampments.The only burial site that I know of  was on Kalgren's property but there were obviously more.That site has been cleaned up and there really is nothing to see there.Still,some pretty cool history.