GoDuBois.com

History of Sabula

block

I'm not sure where your grandpa's old land was but there were several indian encampments in and around Sabula.The most notorious had over 160 bodies excavated in the late 70's.I have a bunch of old articles about it that are pretty interesting.There's a bunch of neat history about it but it's not easy to find.I wouldn't take a ride up there unannounced though unless you know the landowner.

can you post the old articles you have so we can all read them

I have no way to post them.They're just old courier articles that I actually got at the historical society.There are pictures of the bodies laying in a fetal position in the graves Basically,an archiologist named James Herbstritt did the dig in the late 70's.It was an old indian fort from about 900AD .I believe there were around 160+ bodies excavated and they were all buried beneath long houses rather than in a  traditional grave site.He claimed most died from dental problems but it was strange the way they were buried.Other theories exist like a meteorite hit the area but know one will ever know for sure.Supposedly,There were other encampments off of Showers rd and Hickory rd.I have a friend who's an archiologist and he's found artifacts all around Sabula.A lot of artifacts have also been found in Bundy's fields along rt 255 going into penfield.There's lots of stories and theiries that surrounded that dig site.Apparently,an old Indian trail used to go to it and then for some reason,the trails went around it and intentionally avoided it.

• 1 year later...
Guest tompepper

In the library under local history Hills of Home  is an excellent book about Sabula written by a lady named Katie  ? Maybe Shaffer or Bundy I'm not sure but, its there I've read it.

I have this book and if anybody is interested I want $40. for it.Signed by the author....PM

This book is also being reprinted. There was an ad in the godubois classifieds about a month ago to call to reserve a copy. The man's name is Calvin and I believe his mother was the original author. His number listed in the ad was 371-2453. I called and left a message and he contacted me.The ad was also in the Courier for quite a while. I think the price is around $50 to be paid when the book is picked up. I read this book from the library and it is fascinating.

The book The Hills Of Home by Jennie Smith Dixon should be ready by the end of this month. I retyped the book and it has been proofread and being sent back to the printer the final approved copy this week. The original book was typed on an antique typewriter. I remember watching my grandmother sit at the typewriter for hours. As kids we helped her put together the very first volume. Jennie was my grandmother and there are some good stories in the book. She used to tell us great stories when we were little. We LOVED hearing her stories. I also have a copy of her second book she wrote. It starts when her parents are married and  is a very rough draft. It is going to take some time to put it together. She had typed it up and went through making her changes throughout the book and that was as far as it got. It starts in the very early 1900's. It describes my great grandmother's wedding gown, at the beginning, which I have seen in a trunk and I believe still exists with a relative. It was a beautiful gown for the early 1900's. I have yet to read the entire book so I am not sure what the content is. The information Sanibel provided is correct above. Jennie was Calvin's mother.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Jt1985

I know my great grandma that was a Duttry lived in a huge white house at the dead end of a road in Sabula. I wish I knew more about that side of my family, but unfortunately don't.

my great grandma duttry lived in the big white house on the right.

I was exploring today and visited the Bish cemetery, it is in good order and not overgrown. The place is well secluded and isn't going to be easy to get to. I had to briefly use 4wd to climb the last hill. My kids thought it was neat that it was so far out in the woods.

Guest Jt1985

Clara and Amos Duttry was my Grandparents

Clara and Amos are my great grandma and great grandpa.. my gram and grandpa lived in the trailer across the road.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I don't know much about the Duttry side of my family though.  My father died when I was just a baby, so when the Duttry reunions stopped and my Grandparents didn't come in much anymore, I lost touch with most every body.  

Every so often though I will reconnect with someone on FB.

Angielala we could be cousins. LOL   :)

my gram used to explain how people were related to us. She would say "well, they would be your third cousin twice removed. Whatever that meant. We might be 12th cousins twice removed. :D

LOL maybe!  My grandparents were Vern and Thelma (Weaver) Duttry.  My dad was Bill Duttry, but he died in October of 1976.

• 1 year later...