GoDuBois.com

History of Sabula

block

Guest McCharity

I am from Sabula also.. I am (or was before marriage) a Duttry. People ask me where i am from on a daily basis and i say i was a Duttry. That always explains itself. And people always know a few of us. LOL. Sabula also does have Indian background..

I always heard that one of the Bundys in the original settlement had a servant named Buleah.quite a talkative type who got around alot ..When people met her and always knew she'd have something to say,they'd usually say,"What say Buleah?   ( SABULA).  

That reminds me of my dad telling a story of how "Ben" was eaten by a bear.  "Ben is ette"   He called it "Bear ate Benny."  

I am from Sabula also.. I am (or was before marriage) a Duttry. People ask me where i am from on a daily basis and i say i was a Duttry. That always explains itself. And people always know a few of us. LOL. Sabula also does have Indian background..

Yea we indians are from Sabula!! lol

You may be related to my husband then.  His mom was a Duttry.  But then again, I understand that there are quite a few Duttry clans, as his sister married into another Duttry clan lol

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest socrates2

Bish cemetary is a creepy place. I recommend checking it out if you have the time, its not too hard to find and rather easy to get to in any vehicle in good weather.

Guest jduttry

I'm a duttry. My great grandparents lived in the big white house at the end of hungry hollow road. Seems to me if our from sabula ur relatated hahaha

Guest jduttry

Do you mean these Duttry's

I know Amos and Clara were my great grandparents. I was very young. I remember my great grandmother a little bit. My grandma and grandpa put the trailor across the road with the shanty in the back

Guest jduttry

No my grandmother Lorraine and grandpa Gerald lived in the white trail or across the road. Larry and Ruth live in the trailor on the hill behind the white house..

• 1 month later...

My great grandmother was a Duttry and great grandfather descended from the Bundys. (Both born 1870-1880.) Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the Hills of Home by Jennie Dixon? I've heard about it from several sources and would love to read it. Can't find it available online anywhere.

according to Charlie Moore it was settled by the Bundys and the Duttrys and they are allways feudin'. So keep yer head down.:wflag::wflag:

Charlie Moore is wrong. The first settlers in a 10 mile radius of sabula were Henry & Mary Osborne who built a cabin on Hungy hollow road around 1838 - 1840. The second settler was Alonzo & Sarah Dixon shortly after. Their farm is still family owned on Solada road. The 1st clan of Duttrys came several years later and the bundys were way after that. And there was never any fued between the Duttrys and Bundys I ever heard of. Charlie Moore wanted to tell high drama stories that were interesting. His were the "hollywood verson" to keep peoples attention. Unfortunetly, the facts were not always used, or just plain stretched to make things interesting.