GoDuBois.com

M I McCreight Summer Home

Guest madre

Guest madre

Any information on this house?  Ever since the kids went to go check out the "Haunted house on the hill", I have been interested in its history, the original owner (Major I McCreight), who now owns it?  Any relatives out there?  PM me, if you wish.  It's a facsinating story from what I already know....he spent time out west and collected Indian artifacts and buffalo bones, was a banker here in Dubois in the late 1800's/early 1900's (?), hosted dinner parties for Buffalo Bill, wrote a lot about the history of DuBois...he sounds like he was an interesting man.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Wigwam":  Home of Major Israel McCreight

According to the Clearfield County Comprehensive Plan: History, Resource and Preservation Plan (2006), "The Wigwam", home of Major Israel McCreight, is at risk and in need of preservation.  The "Wigwam," is located on a high knoll in Sandy Township at the crossroads of an old Indian trail.  It stands as a structural testimony to a time in the history of the DuBois Area that cannot be matched. Unfortunately this caption is too short to recognize Mr. McCreight's contribution to not only the area but also the whole country. From banker, author, RR president, to writer of the Conservation Policy adopted by Theodore Roosevelt in 1906 for the United States, to rubbing elbows with important men like Henry Ford, Thomas Edison, and Luther Burbank, one colorful part of his career must be told.  As a young man, Mr. McCreight went west and eventually became friends with many Indian chieftains and the famous Wild Bill Hickok.  After returning to this area, he invited Hickok to come to DuBois with his Wild West Show.  He came on many occasions with his company, including Buffalo Bill Cody, Chief Iron Tail (whose face we see on the U.S. nickel), Chief Red Eagle, and Chief Flying Hawk (Chief of the Sioux tribe of North Dakota).  They erected their teepees on the lawn of the McCreight's home, sometimes as many as 150 tribe members.  At a ceremony held at the Wigwam during one of these visits, the Sioux adopted him into their tribe naming him Chief Tchanta-Tanka (Great Heart). In 1929, Chief Flying Hawk, successor to Sitting Bull, officially named Mr. McCreight his successor.  This honor was conferred upon him for his service on behalf of the American Indians and their welfare.  The ceremony was performed before the late John S. Fisher in Harrisburg.  The 400-year old Redstone tribal pipe was one of Mr. McCreight's most valued pieces in his extensive collection.  Another treasure was a carbine with which Crazy Horse killed General George A. Custer.  Mr. McCreight died in 1958 at age of 93."

See www.planning.clearfieldco.org/06Comp_Plan/06Chapter_4_-_History__Resource_Invent___Preservation_Plan.pdf

M.I. McCreight is my great-great grandfather.  my grandparents lived in the house for several years and I lived at the house for a few years as well.  A lot of the historical things and pics from the house have been distrubuted throughout our family and some given to the historical society before my grandmother passed away a few years ago.  It is sad now to see the house and the shape it is in because I have a lot of great memories from growing up there.  The house is now owned by people not related to our family and I have spoken to them a few times about what he is going to do with the house and he is unsure.

Any information on this house?  Ever since the kids went to go check out the "Haunted house on the hill", I have been interested in its history, the original owner (Major I McCreight), who now owns it?  Any relatives out there?  PM me, if you wish.  It's a facsinating story from what I already know....he spent time out west and collected Indian artifacts and buffalo bones, was a banker here in Dubois in the late 1800's/early 1900's (?), hosted dinner parties for Buffalo Bill, wrote a lot about the history of DuBois...he sounds like he was an interesting man.

he was, perhaps THE prominent citizen of a DuBois that no longer exists----before the war.  You are right in thinking he was an "interesting man". His history is well worth looking into.

M.I. McCreight is my great-great grandfather.  my grandparents lived in the house for several years and I lived at the house for a few years as well.  A lot of the historical things and pics from the house have been distrubuted throughout our family and some given to the historical society before my grandmother passed away a few years ago.  It is sad now to see the house and the shape it is in because I have a lot of great memories from growing up there.  The house is now owned by people not related to our family and I have spoken to them a few times about what he is going to do with the house and he is unsure.

Well do you have any memories or photos you could post for us too look at  then? How interesting . I have read books by him and find him a very important part of this towns history.

"Wigwam" is a PA historical site at risk and in need of preservation.   It would be great benefit to our community if the current owners, the McCreight Family and others interested in local heritage and history would begin a discussion for a preservation plan.  See more about Major Israel McCreight at http://manycoups.net/BuffaloBillAsIKnewHim_page1.html.  Let's preserve the legacy.

"Wigwam" is a PA historical site at risk and in need of preservation.   It would be great benefit to our community if the current owners, the McCreight Family and others interested in local heritage and history would begin a discussion for a preservation plan.  See more about Major Israel McCreight at http://manycoups.net/BuffaloBillAsIKnewHim_page1.html.  Let's preserve the legacy.

Rich00 I can't get the link to work .

Wow!  I had no idea of the history of this place!    I grew hearing about McCreight's mansion and knew where it was (basically over the hill from me) but never saw it up close.    Amazing!

It is not, and never was a 'mansion'. I also grew up in that neighborhood, in fact I met Major McCreight on several occasions, as a teen. He died in 1958, I think some one mentioned here. The house, on the hill above Lincoln Drive, is in ruins, having been neglected for many years. At present, it would not be safe to enter. I don't believe the house has a basement, and the floors are rotted and the roof has not kept the water out, over the years. It is, generally, in a state of advanced decay. It never was anything except a big house, nothing like we think of as a mansion such as the John DuBois Mansion.  I remember Major on the wrap around porch, and several of us kids talked to him ocassionally. That was in the late 40's and  early 50's..The house did have some indian artifacts, and I vaguly remember seeing a few of them. He owned all of the land around the 'Wigwam", and sold building lots all over the area and  over in the area of  S. Main Street Extension. He named that area Rhemvale, I believe, after his son.  The name never stuck. He was a major force in the DuBois area.

For those of us who live in modern cracker boxes, it was a mansion, but compared to the DuBois Mansion, no.  It did have large interestingly designed rooms and a lot of porches.  Hubby worked there doing a lot of the repairs for years and thought it might go this way, neglect.  

Has anyone checked with Sandy Township or Clearfield County to see who the current owner is?  It may be being held for building lots eventually.

It is not, and never was a 'mansion'. I also grew up in that neighborhood, in fact I met Major McCreight on several occasions, as a teen. He died in 1958, I think some one mentioned here. The house, on the hill above Lincoln Drive, is in ruins, having been neglected for many years. At present, it would not be safe to enter. I don't believe the house has a basement, and the floors are rotted and the roof has not kept the water out, over the years. It is, generally, in a state of advanced decay. It never was anything except a big house, nothing like we think of as a mansion such as the John DuBois Mansion.  I remember Major on the wrap around porch, and several of us kids talked to him ocassionally. That was in the late 40's and  early 50's..The house did have some indian artifacts, and I vaguly remember seeing a few of them. He owned all of the land around the 'Wigwam", and sold building lots all over the area and  over in the area of  S. Main Street Extension. He named that area Rhemvale, I believe, after his son.  The name never stuck. He was a major force in the DuBois area.

You are right on the fact that it is in ruins and not safe to enter.  It does have a basement, a fairly good size one, that is just a dirt floor.  I dont think that any of my family referred to it as a mansion growing up.  Most of the artifacts are gone but a few remain with some of the family members.

I was in the house as recently as a couple of years ago, with someone interested in buying the property. At the time that it was built, equipment to dig basements was not available, such as we have today. Many old houses in DuBois have partial basements, just holes, unlined,  under the house, maybe big enough to have a furnace. I assume the Wigwam was heated by fireplaces, as there are a few, as I remember...

Wigwam deserves preservation and an Historic Marker.

If Wigwam could be acquired by a non-profit organization, and the structure and grounds preserved and rehabilitated, does the McCreight Family own or have access to historic materials to display for visitors.  

Materials could be loaned to build an archive and collection, maybe run programs.

Crazycat, Thank you.

Here is the link to M.I. McCreight information by his grandson Robert A. Stumpf

http://manycoups.net/index.html

This is an excellent link Rich00. thank you for sharing it where do you come up with all your info? Its very interesting. Also love the saving the wigwam idea, but didn't someone on this thread already say the current owners don't no what they're gonna do with it? So someone must live there right?