M I McCreight Summer Home

Guest madre

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Buying The Wigwam"

This writer was asked if "I" would like to "buy" The Wigwam.

My reply was, "Yes."  

But by contributing funds with other supporters and titling The Wigwam in the name of a 501c3 non-profit organization. i.e.

The Du Bois Area Historical Society, some other interested existing non-profit, or a new 501c3 named the "The Wigwam Trust", or something like that.

If you're interested, contact this writer.

Crazycat, thanks for helping with directions.

The Wigwam sits at the top of Catherine Avenue (named after one of MI's daughters), not Wigwam Avenue.  

Maybe someday the street names could be "switched" ,if it doesn't cause to much trouble for local folks who live on the streets.  

In the long run, less confusion and traffic.

The Wigwam and WPSU-TV

Thanks and appreciation to Penn State, WPSU-TV and Whitney Chirdon for telling the wonderful story of Major Israel McCreight, Chief Flying Hawk and The Wigwam.

Please support public television and WPSU-TV with a generous donation.

John Winslow McCreight (1821-1900)

John Winslow McCreight, born July 11, 1821, was the father of Major Israel McCreight.  John was the son of Andrew McCreight and Ann Sharp, one of 13 children.  He was a successful timber merchant and known in the community as

_jon_winslow_mccreight1_4386.jpg

It might be a good idea to clear up some wrong ideas here. The house is privately owned, as is the drive up to the property. It is in an extremely advanced state of disrepair, and decay. It is completely grown over with weeds and brush... The last time I was inside it, some years ago, there was a real danger of the floors falling through...It is posted "NO TRESPASSING", and is condemned as unsafe to enter...Sight seeing is not a good idea..

I am not interested enough to want to see the place. If it was along the road I'd look,

if not , no biggy. I would not go driving up a private lane to see it or peek in the windows.

Just wondered about where it was. My roots are not in DuBois.

I regret not buying the house and keeping it in my family while it was still in decent shape years back when my grandmother moved out. I did collect some very old family heirlooms before we sold the house so I am grateful for that.

The Wigwam

Here are floor plans of The Wigwam.

The plan was drafted by M.I.'s grandson, Richard (Dick) McCreight, a retired FBI agent in North Carolina.

Thanks to the M.I. McCreight Collection, Chet Baranowski, Steward.

The Wigwam would make an excellent museum and administrative offices.

An Education Center with Meeting Rooms could added to The Wigwam.

A formal site plan for The Wigwam is in order.

wigwam_floor_plan1_3165.jpg

wigwam_floor_plan2_9643.jpg

How about some sort of "historical chronological trail" for DuBois?  Something that could incorporate "The Wigwam", as well as "Rumbarger Cemetery", plus railroads (think of the "Greenway Rails to Trails project".  The town already has a historical designation, why not do "mapping" of the area, such as what Sam King did years ago?

A New "Sam King" Map of the Du Bois Region

A new "Sam King" map of our region is a great idea.  Here is a map of the Buffalo & Susquehanna (B&S) Railroad showing the coal fields in West Sandy and what is now Du Bois Mall.  This is the route of the proposed Du Bois-Sandy Greenway which passes through the Highland Street Tunnel, over Chestnut and Maple Avenue, and along the Sandy Lick Creek (across from the Beaver Meadow Walkway, to Leezers at Shaffer Road.  Preservation projects to restore Rumbarger Cemetery, The Wigwam and the Buffalo & Susquehanna corridor will enhance the community.

buffalo__susquehanna_map_9471.png

The Wigwam - Stationary Paper

Here's a copy of business stationary used by ole M.I. at The Wigwam.

Interesting vision?

Have any ideas for new stationary?

Thanks to The M.I. McCreight Collection, Chet Baranowski, Steward

wigwam_stationary_5567.jpg

Mohawk Longhouse at The Wigwam

Notice M.I.'s stationary reference to "Old Day Council House."

A Mohawk Longhouse was once located at the rear of The Wigwam.

It was used for Native American ceremonies.

Attached is an example.

mohawk_longhouse_1657.png

Major Israel McCreight at Rumbarger Cemetery

MI and grandchildren at the Dedication of G. A. R. Circle and Unveiling of Monument and Tablet, May 30, 1928.  MI was an honorary member of the G.A.R.

mi_at_rumbarger_cemetery_7424.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great story, Rich.

Re: floor plans - I have a vague memory of the attic as well - though that could easily be a child's dream memory.

Re:  the article on the Historical Society website - interesting that they obviously lifted images from my website (manycoups.net) for their slideshow and then

put this notice all over the article:

"IT IS FULLY PROTECTED BY THE WEBSITE'S COPYRIGHT AND MAY NOT BE COPIED, PRINTED, REFERENCED OR TRANSMITTED

WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION"

Perhaps that author could use a lesson from "Honest John" McCreight, eh?

Becky Stumpf (one of the great-grandchildren)