GoDuBois.com

M I McCreight Summer Home

Guest madre

"Wigwam" is a PA historical site at risk and in need of preservation.   It would be great benefit to our community if the current owners, the McCreight Family and others interested in local heritage and history would begin a discussion for a preservation plan.  See more about Major Israel McCreight at http://manycoups.net/BuffaloBillAsIKnewHim_page1.html.  Let's preserve the legacy.

I keep getting the page can't be found error!

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Wigwam - Summer 1928

I remember seeing this picture before. The little girl in front with the curls is my grandmother and the woman on the far left in the center row is my great grand mother. Wow that is amazing.

I hope that The "Wigwam" can be saved.That was my Great Grandfather's house.If it can be saved, I know where alot of M.I.'s collection is.My mother had some pieces,my Uncle had some pieces.There is a very kind gentleman in Canada that has a large portion of the collection.If the Wigwam is saved and turned into a landmark,I would glady donate the portion of my Great Grandfather's collection, that my mother (Marjorie McCreight) has had all these years.She has a hand woven rug,arm bands ,moccasins,peace pipe,tomohawk,water jug.And an oil painting of Chief Sitting Bull. i plan to take a trip ap to the Wigwam soon.I would like to see the house that had so many fond memories of summers spent there by my mother when she was a girl.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Chief Flying Hawk of the Sioux is Du Bois's most famous Native American.  Flying Hawk was a frequent visitor to The Wigwam for several decades.  The Wigwam was Flying Hawk's "Home" in the East when he traveled with Buffalo Bill and Wild West shows.  Flying Hawk often rested at the Wigwam, wondering through the virgin forests that once surrounded the area.  He hiked the nearby Indian trails, watched the game and silently smoked his pipe.  Flying Hawk was not only a chief and a warrior, he was an author, historian and philosopher.  It was during Flying Hawk's last visit to Du Bois that he and Major Israel McCreight wrote the classic Wild West narratives "Chief Flying Hawk's Tales: The True Story of Custer's Last Fight", and "Firewater and Forked Tongues.".  Chief Flying Hawk and his son, Felix Flying Hawk, corresponded with McCreight for over 30 years.

cfh_on_fb_3327.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Chief Flying Hawk's visit to St. Catherine's Church in Du Bois

Chief Moses Flying Hawk came for his last visit to The Wigwam in 1929.  He had been traveling with the circus, and the pony riding, war dances and inclement weather were weighing on his health at the age of 77.

It was Sunday.  Flying Hawk's leave of absence was about up and his visit to his white brother was coming to an end.  The old man had arisen with the sun and had taken a long walk in the woods to see the squirrels

and hear the birds sing, he said.  After breakfast, the Chief said that he wanted to go to church.  A car was brought around, loaded to capacity, and the old Chief, in full dress and just a little paint on his face to cover

his wrinkles, took place beside his host for a trip of two miles to the big Catholic edifice on State Street in the city's First Ward.  Throughout the sevice the Chief responded with dignity to every detail of the

long and solemn ceremony--and it may be said too that he attracted the gaze of everyone present.  When formal service ended, the popular Father McGivney came to take his hand in welcome and gave his

blessing, but it was long before the Chief was permitted to take leave of his friends and neighbors gathered about him to shake hands.  The Chief was visibly agitated and frequently referred to his disappointment

in having to go.  He said he would not likely ever come again; he felt that he would soon go to join his friends in the Sand Hills.

chief_moses_flying_hawk_676.jpg

How much longer did the old indian live Rich? Now I'm curious. I love when you add something new, I wait. Cool to know that he was at St. Catherines its right up the street from me. I can picture him and the Major driving up there and how the congregation felt to see them at church, wouldn't it have been a sight to see?

Chief Flying Hawk died at the age of 79 on December 24, 1931, on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota.  I believe we have a photo of the Chief at St. Catherine's and hope to post it.   Chief Flying Hawk was right, his 1929 visit to The Wigwam was his last visit to see his white brother, MI McCreight.