GoDuBois.com

Rumbarger Cemetery

Ignatius

I just returned home from a visit to Rumbarger Cemetery.  Being Memorial Day, I wanted to visit the GAR Circle, and just take a walk around the grounds.  To say the least, I am almost speechless at how at cemetery well within the city limits, could be left to deteriorate as much as it has!  Particularly troubling are the number of veteran graves, from the Civil War through WWII (I didn't see any Viet Nam veterans, but that doesn't mean there may not be any) that need attention.

Additionally, many of the names on the stones reflect well known personages from the beginning of DuBois, as well as names formerly unknown to me.

I certainly respect and applaud the efforts a few volunteers have made to beautify the cemetery, but it will certainly take more than those volunteers.  I know we've discussed this topic previously, but on Memorial Day, it seems fitting to see what can be done to actually start something.  What say any of you?  How can we get this started?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get the city to admit it owns it....or know who actually does.  It seems whenever the city doesn't want to deal with something, it claims it can't "find" the owner:  brewery, Wilson School, Rumbarger....

This is some research that I did, and discussed with Judge Cherry as to the ownership.  It cannot ever be a business/cemetery again except for those who already have lots there with markers because there is no reliable map as to where everyone is buried.  However, it can be placed under a trustee agreement with the county and there is even a small grant available through the vounty but it has to go to a permanent group.  For that information you can contact Ryan Sprague's father.

DuBois - Rumbarger Cemetery  

Thank You Cheryl, this answers quite a few of my questions I have had. Still something needs to be done and I will work with whoever to get it done, as I believe as quite a few do that this cemetary needs our attention.

The land for the Rumbarger Cemetery was set aside by John Rumbarger in 1877.  Upon his death all his property was to be sold and the cemetery was sold to a group of three men, a Grier, Weber and Terpe in 1890, which was the beginning of the DuBois Cemetery Company.  Sometime in the early 1900's it passed to Herbert A. Moore (not to be confused with N. R. Moore, the undertaker who was involved with Morningside Cemetery) and A. L. Cole.  They continued with the DuBois Cemetery Company and it is my understanding that it  has never been dissolved.  It was run as a "for-profit" company and the money was split with no thought to the future of the cemetery.  The "quit-claim" deed  filed by Wallace Lindsay was declared invalid by the court.

The cemetery actually looks very good right now although there are a lot of things that need done.  There is currently a group forming and preparing an application for a 501©3, non-profit organization. It will take a lot of money and things will not happen quickly.  In the meantime, it will still need mowed and trimmed.  Volunteers are always welcome. Cowan's have been helping reset stones and the city is now providing the gas for Sam as well as helping in other ways.  It will be important to form an organization that will provide for perpetual care for the cemetery.

That is exactly what has needed to be done and ALL donations need to be run through it first, then dispersed to workers as needed.

The DuBois Cemetery Company has long since been defunct as a non-operational entity but this is what a court need to decide in detail so the place can be kept officially as a historical site.  I don't remember the name of the lawyer who is doing the legal work, Grinnen maybe, but he deserves a big hand for doing it.  

No offense taken.  It does need a lot of work.  The walls are crumbling, there are stones that need repaired or replaced and the Child's mausoleum must be repaired, just to name a few projects.  There is another meeting scheduled for next week and hopefully there will be something to post here.  We haven't even decided on a name yet as this is just in the formative stages.  Any suggestions?

No offense taken.  It does need a lot of work.  The walls are crumbling, there are stones that need repaired or replaced and the Child's mausoleum must be repaired, just to name a few projects.  There is another meeting scheduled for next week and hopefully there will be something to post here.  We haven't even decided on a name yet as this is just in the formative stages.  Any suggestions?

What you have mentioned are the items I've noticed.  Where and when is the meeting?  If some of us from GoDuBois attend, can we keep our presence at the meetings away from a public forum?

• 2 weeks later...

I was working with Sam the one that takes care of it but I stopped because the chamber of commerce was supposed to step in and take charge. I have some information that I collected when I was helping out there I will gladly turn it over to whoever is in charge of your group.

Thank you

Trisha

Ditto!  I'm glad there is finallly an official group forming and I hope they soon have a public meeting so those who want to help can do so in an organized manner.  No one has ever had any idea of where the money was going, and there are grants to be had for doing some of the work.  

It's time!

• 1 month later...

Finally found the map of the cemetery Mr. Lindsay had given me, and I want to make a copy of it and I'll be glad to share it with anyone who wants it.  I'd like to attend the meeting too, if i can.  My great grandparents, Axel and Josefina Swanson, and great great grandma Johanna Johnson are buried there.  

• 7 months later...

I see no one has  written anything on this thread topic since July, I am wondering why it couldn't be used as a project for people who need to do community service. Like people on probation ( even if not better juvenile probation), these kids could do general upkeep of the grounds like weedeating,mowing, etc. and it could be counted towards their service. It is in our community and really with its location, needs upkeep all seasons.Just to walk up that way in the winter, no one takes care of the shoveling of the Main st. sidewalk out front of it.  I don't know who would be the one to contact, if anyone knows about who divies up community service jobs and a contact number post it please.