GoDuBois.com

Rumbarger Cemetery

Ignatius

The Rumbarger Cemetery Preservation Society Public Meeting at the VFW, DuBois, PA, April 27, 2011

Society Solicitor: Richard Levine

Officers: Paul Sprague, President, Carol Laughlin, Secretary, Historian, Amy Sprague, Trustee, Melanie McGinnis, Treasurer

Missing from Photo was Scott Farrell, Vice President

042711_2_8208.jpg

042711_1_9287.jpg

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a reminder, we hope to see you there.

Rumbarger Cemetery is part of this clean up day!

Community Clean-Up Saturday, April 30, 2011 is Clean-Up Day for the Greater DuBois Area and community organizations and groups. After meeting at the City Park at 9:00am, the various groups will travel to all parts of the community to restore the beauty and warmth as summer approaches.

Once finished, all registered groups will report back to the City Park pavilion for a complimentary lunch provided by area businesses.

Rumbarger Cemetery Clean-Up Day.  

Thanks to Kaitlyn Carpinello and Eric Fustine from Mohney-Yarger Funeral Chapel for helping to rake leaves around the Soldiers Circle and Childs Mausoleum, sweep the sidewalk, level dirt on sunken graves and hauling broken branches.

Lots more to be done before Memorial Day! Call 814-661-4596 and leave a message if you want to help.

043011_3_2673.jpg

043011_4_5215.jpg

043011_5_8502.jpg

043011_6_2597.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The new Rumbarger Cemetery Preservation Society needs volunteer families, churches, schools, clubs and non-profits to help maintain the Cemetery by adopting a single grave, group or section.   This is a special opportunity to partner with others in the community to make this historic cemetery a wonderful green place on Main Street in the City of Du Bois  The Society also needs people to serve on committees for special design projects, fund raising and veteran's affairs.  To git' involved:

The Rumbarger Cemetery Preservation Society is a 501c3 Tax Exempt Organization and is ready and able to receive Charitable Donations, monetary or in-kind materials/service.   Receipts will be sent to you for your donations. Keep your receipts for your tax records.   Please send donations to the address below.  We accept in kind contributions of maintenance and construction materials and other services.

Rumbarger Cemetery Preservation Society

534 S. Main Street, PO Box 264

DuBois, PA 15801

Email: rcpsduboispa@gmail.com

Telephone:  814-661-4596

Please call us...

• 4 weeks later...

I was very disappointed to see the cemetary not mowed at Memorial Day. After doing 6 other gravesites, I wasn't able to plant my flowers as the grass was too high. Very sad to see this. I would think the city of DuBois would have helped with the maintainance of the cemetary as it is the one of the oldest cememtaries in our town and being it's close location to the city and one of the many attractions of our town it would be maintained.

I was very disappointed to see the cemetary not mowed at Memorial Day. After doing 6 other gravesites, I wasn't able to plant my flowers as the grass was too high. Very sad to see this. I would think the city of DuBois would have helped with the maintainance of the cemetary as it is the one of the oldest cememtaries in our town and being it's close location to the city and one of the many attractions of our town it would be maintained.

Yes, that is sad.

I like the idea of adopting a part of it.  My family's on board.

Get a plot with a perpetual care contract.This Rumbarger thing should show us that our neighbor or schoolkids or some disabled do-gooder and certainly some local municpality will never show up to tend your momma's grave...If you buy it it's your property and how it looks FOREVER depends on you...

There are some volunteers mowing and trimming when they can.  Most are not from DuBois.  One man drives from Mahaffey to work on the cemetery; how sad is that when the people who live in DuBois don't care enough to help.  The people buried there thought someone would take care of their graves.  It's right there in the city so you know no one would abandon it.  I guess the joke was on them.  There is a contact number listed different places.  Visit Facebook then shut off your computer and go do something physical.  Don't just say somebody should do something...be a somebody.

The Society is still new and growing thus going thru growing and learning pains. There are several things we do need.

The main focus is cutting and trimming the grass and for that we need people. Due to legal issues that are still being worked thru we cannot "sell" an area, although that might work in the future.Right now our "Adopt-a-Grave" will be simply an area that you agree to care for. If your place of business, work, church, or family wants to volunteer for a "work day", please let us know! Anyone willing to set up a "GoDuBois Rumbarger work day"? The people that are mowing it now are doing a great job with what they have to work with... Remember the cemetery is almost 8 acres with over 1500 stones to trim around with no payroll and at this point very, very few people to mow.

We are also trying to set up several Committees to work with our Board of Trustees. This will bring ideas to the table as well as give us a resource of people to help spread the work out.

The United way is a definite possibility, just haven't had the time to research it yet, although I do know that even though we are not a Member Agency you can still make your pledge to us.

We have three Boy Scouts that are hoping to do their Eagle projects there. We also have plans that we would like to carry out but the lawn care is priority right now so please bear with us and help us where you can!

Be part of the solution, not part of the problem!

Maybe a volunteer secretary could call the last names on the headstones to see if their children or grand children want to help take care of their cemetery.

Have to say, our Secretary / Historian can't be beat. Lots of people to go thru as families start to branch out and she has info on lots of them. A job for more than one person. Check out www.findagrave.com for info on all the stone in the cemetery. Lots of "Behind the scenes" work being / been done!

I'll announce it here, hopefully it doesn't come back to bite me. The DuBois VFW wants to do a re-dedication / James J. Patterson ceremony later in the summer, watch for details!

Maybe a volunteer secretary could call the last names on the headstones to see if their children or grand children want to help take care of their cemetery.

My great grandparents are there, but they haven't let me know, from the other side, if they are concerned about their graves...Some things just don't matter...

My great grandparents are there, but they haven't let me know, from the other side, if they are concerned about their graves...Some things just don't matter...

Well then, Foxfan, that's your prerogative to just lie there, on this side, & do nothing.

OK, we'll try it this way...Saturday, July 9th... Who's interested in coming to the "GoDuBois work day at Rumbarger Cemetery" ?

I am willing to come, give me a time, the only thing with me is I just had recent shoulder surgery and know I can't do any major lifting but, will do whatever I can to help out awhile. If my relatives were there I think I would be ashamed of not trying to help out,  thankfully mine are in tended and cared for cemetaries. Never the less I want to help out in some way,I can't stand looking at it and not doing anything about it  anymore.

My great grandparents are there, but they haven't let me know, from the other side, if they are concerned about their graves...Some things just don't matter.   It does matter. The freaking cemetary sits right on MAIN ST and needs upkeep.   Laziness on the part of relatives that actually have kin there. I would be embarrassed to even admit I have relatives there. and sit by and do nothing about it.

Maybe the "reach" is too small!  Maybe a comprehensive plan to restore the wall along Main Street and perhaps a restoration of the G.A.R. Circle to its original look?  Because of the G.A.R. Circle, maybe having the cemetery designated a true "historical" spot?

Look beyond the simple mowing and it may be easier to cut the grass.  Might be far easier to raise funds.

If you check under the Local History forum there is a picture of the GAR circle in 1928.  It has not changed much except that there are some cannonballs missing.  If it could be designated as a "Historical" cemetery there might be funds available.  Although it is historical to our community, it doesn't meet the criteria.  There can't have been any burials in the last 50 years and there have been a number of them.  Also there are people with family plots who plan to be buried there.  So we aren't trying to preserve this cemetery just for the people who are long gone, but for the people who still want to buried with their family.  I'm glad people are reading these posts and thinking about the problems.  The committee had a public meeting and only about 10 people showed.  Perhaps we could try again and get a better response.  In the meantime, if you would like to donate, the address is: Rumbarger Cemetery Preservation Society, P.O. Box 264, DuBois, PA 15801.  Any ideas on how to raise money would be appreciated too.