GoDuBois.com

Rumbarger Cemetery

Ignatius

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no  decedants in  Rumbarger ( that i know of ,  not originally from here) I wish i could help more... Saying that..  it ticks me that the city lets  and let that cemetary go for years and .. years untouched !  ( when i was a kid it was in shambles some  30 years ago.. might i add the grass was never cut for well over 30 years!) Go to rubble so to speak yet fines people for  not mowing.. doesn't make sense to me..  Dubois as a whole needs to have more respect  for our heritage.. and it's elders  Those  people made our town what it is today .. complain all you want it's true.. Rumbarger is part of our history as a town!! The city should put something aside to help. If they can pay  overrated charges  to mow yards around town that haven't been mowed  surley they can pay  to mow that cemetary out of respect  for those buried there and  historical preservation..  I see Rumbarger as a top priority...JMO

I have learned that some people can be inspired to help and you're wasting your breath on others.  There are people who want to make a difference in their community and others who think only of what's in it for me.  Regardless of who didn't do this or do that, the cemetery will be cared for, whether it's a half-dozen people or fifty.  More participation makes it easier but if that's not possible, so be it.  If you are interested in helping, whether it's your time or money the contact information is on this thread.

I have learned that some people can be inspired to help and you're wasting your breath on others.  There are people who want to make a difference in their community and others who think only of what's in it for me.  Regardless of who didn't do this or do that, the cemetery will be cared for, whether it's a half-dozen people or fifty.  More participation makes it easier but if that's not possible, so be it.  If you are interested in helping, whether it's your time or money the contact information is on this thread.

Now you've got it.....

Has anyone checked with the county jail to see if you can get the inmates to help clean it up?

County jail is "stretched thin", not enough people to watch everyone. Have a call into Adult Probation, but one problem there is coordination... having someone at the Cemetery the same time the person on Probation is there... Can be done, just takes some work. Speaking from experience in years past, we have had more people   not show up than show up when they told us they would be there to do their service time. I don't mean to say that everyone is that way or we won't use it in the future, just that we can't rely on it to solve all our problems.

Ok, I have someone requesting I take a picture of a headstone they aren't even sure exists located in Rumbarger Cemetery.

Any one that cuts the grass up there...have you noticed a headstone for "Samuel B. Coyne" who died in 1906 ?? Or even a push in the right direction would be wonderful! Feel free to PM and thanks in advance!  :)

Ok, I have someone requesting I take a picture of a headstone they aren't even sure exists located in Rumbarger Cemetery.

Any one that cuts the grass up there...have you noticed a headstone for "Samuel B. Coyne" who died in 1906 ?? Or even a push in the right direction would be wonderful! Feel free to PM and thanks in advance!  :)

Monroe, Looking at our book of names that appear on headstones, there is a Samuel B. Coyne 1845-1906, Civil War Vet. Looks like he is in the front of the cemetery, off to the left...also under Coyne... Amelia, infant, R.F., William. Hope that helps!

Monroe, Looking at our book of names that appear on headstones, there is a Samuel B. Coyne 1845-1906, Civil War Vet. Looks like he is in the front of the cemetery, off to the left...also under Coyne... Amelia, infant, R.F., William. Hope that helps!

That helps tremendously!! I walk passed it every day with my daughter and we were looking at the top half. So I was way off. Some of the headstones are so hard to read too. This at least gives me some direction! And lets me know that it does exist. The person asking for photos was not sure it even existed.

• 1 month later...

Thank you to Dr. Beverly Chiarulli and the IUP students for all your help Friday, September 16, 2011 at Rumbarger Cemetery to try to locate unidentified grave sites.

The efforts of Dr. Beverly Chiarulli, the IUP students and Paul Sprague, President of the Rumbarger Cemetery Preservation Society were featured on WJAC-TV at the following link.

http://www.wjactv.com/video/29211824/index.html

If anyone has a spare hour any time please feel free to go the Cemetery to mow or trim. You can pick any place you would like to work on and at any time. There is no sign up, just show up, pick a place and mow or trim. Your time and effort would be greatly appreciated by the Society and the Community.

• 1 month later...

For those of you that may have missed it, the Rumbarger Cemetery Preservation Society was awarded ownership of the Rumbarger Cemetery on September 21st, 2011 by Judge Ammerman  . . .  We now own the Cemetery and as president Truman said, " The buck stops here!". Good, bad, or otherwise we are now responsible for everything that happens at and to the Cemetery. . .  wish us luck and please help us out if and where you can!

Good luck to you all!

When I opened this thread, it took me to page 1, from May 2010, where the OP had described the cemetery in such terrible shape.  I wonder BigTO, does it seem better to you now?  I think it does.

Many years ago when my daughter was at Central, it might have even been when she was in kindergarten which was over 20 years ago, we went walking in the cemetery one day when we were very early. We came upon the grave of a young girl, which was under a tree. There was no one else buried anywhere nearby that I remember. It was sad. If someone can point me to where it is located I'm willing to do some planting next summer........weed pulling, weedwacking, whatever.

This holiday season The Rumbarger Cemetery Preservation Society would like to remember the soldiers that gave the ultimate sacrifice and are to rest in Rumbarger Cemetery.  Our goal is to place approximately 100 wreaths on the graves of those soldiers.  For a donation of $15.00 you may purchase a wreath to be placed on Saturday, December 10th, at Rumbarger Cemetery.  We will need several volunteers for this project so please come and participate if you are able or call 661-4596 for more info.  Please send your check payable to:  Rumbarger Cemetery Preservation Society, P.O. Box 264-534 South Main Street, DuBois, PA  15801. Deadline is Thursday, November 17th, 2011

For more information on the Wreaths Across America Program please go online to http://www.wreathsacrossamerica.org(http://www.wreathsacrossamerica.org/)

This was in my Chamber news letter so I thought I would post it so everyone could have the chance to help if they wanted too.

• 2 weeks later...

Rumbarger Cemetery is on the DuBois ornament for 2011.  The cost is $10 and they are available at various locations in DuBois.  They will also be sold at the mall on December 3rd.  They are a collector's item and make a great Christmas gift!

100_0776_4923.jpg

100_0777_8528.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

With help from many generous contributors, the Rumbarger Cemetery Preservation Society has purchased Christmas wreaths from Wreaths Across America http://www.wreathsacrossamerica.org/ to be placed on the Veteran's graves at Rumbarger Cemetery.  The ceremony will begin tomorrow, December 10, at noon.  Everyone is invited to come help place wreaths or just be there to honor the veterans.  The Preservation Society is proud to be able to do this and appreciates the support of the community and donors.  

The Christmas ornaments are still available at the following locations:

Gardners Candies at the Mall

S&T Bank at the Mall

S&T Bank on Liberty Blvd

S&T Bank on Scribner Avenue

The Corner Restaurant

Brady St Florist

Hockmans Candies

The Chamber office

Merle Norman

Stew Brews Coffee

Mom told me not to buy one I'm getting one from santa... woo hoo! Off subject I have all of them but, am missing the mansion due to smashing it a few years ago if anyone knows of somewhere I could get a replacement it would make my day, xmas. I was heartbroken when I broke it and unless someone actually has one to part with you can't buy those ones anymore..wish they would make a few more of past ones for this reason.

Don't be mad at me Crazycat but I have to say, I stopped at Peaceable Kingdom today and there on the counter were 5 ornaments . . .  One each of The DuBois Mansion, DuBois High School, and St. Catherine's School . . . all sold out ornaments from the past! They were cleaning out their storage area and found them. Needless to say, since I needed them for my collection I bought them . . .  Merry Christmas to me ! The other two ornaments were ones that Lakeside U.M. Church put out a few  years ago. Very nice but not a part of the Downtown series. Hang in there Crazycat, another Mansion will turn up!