GoDuBois.com
  • Keep Your Family Safe!
  • Keep Your Family Safe!
  • Keep Your Family Safe!

never forget

WMJ77

I have always been of the opinion that every teen should attend a military training camp during the summer between their last two years of school.  They could be paid toward college.  They should learn America's history, why freedom is necessary to survival and be encouraged to find their God instead of being left to run loose practicing everything that will eventually destroy them. 

Petee, even give college credit. Teach things in high school like keeping a checking account, even if you dont use checks. So much we knew before we graduated  that these children never learn. I had a helper that never heard of potato salad and lived on bologna sandwiches and mountain dew. No teaching of nutrition or making change or anything. I add in my head and am pretty close.

I agree, while potato salad is in the ranks of a very occasional treat for me, everyone should know how to cook!  Otherwise they live out of boxes, bags, cans and junk food.  

Our kids leave high school with very few life skills.

On 3/10/2022 at 11:01 AM, leahbarn said:

Petee, even give college credit. Teach things in high school like keeping a checking account, even if you dont use checks. So much we knew before we graduated  that these children never learn. I had a helper that never heard of potato salad and lived on bologna sandwiches and mountain dew. No teaching of nutrition or making change or anything. I add in my head and am pretty close.

Why in the world should schools teach your child how to keep a checking account.  That falls under a parent’s responsibility along with safe driving, how to do laundry, cook meals to survive, make and follow a budget etc…If your child doesn’t get counting and making change by age 12, that’s  on the parent. Too many parents don’t even teach values and morals anymore…

It seems that the schools are supposed to feed the kids, discipline them, teach them life skills, instill moral values and be responsible for those that have physical or mental problems and/or learning disabilities. Urban schools install washing machines so the teachers can wash clothes for those who come to school dirty and I know of several instances where teachers have bought shoes and clothes for kids. What happened to reading, writing and arithmetic? No one expects his dentist to wash his hair so why are teachers and schools expected to do the job of a parent? "Let the cobbler stick to his last" and let the teachers stick to academics. Nine out of ten kids can make a computer sit up and beg. They can google how to cook spaghetti. Yes, their parents should be doing it but if they are too lazy or just don't care then any kid with initiative has the resources to learn life skills on his own. Bad parenting stops with that kid. 

:goodpost:.....schools have pretty much always disciplined kids..now,  some parents dont like that... instead of giving them a good butt smack, they would rather be their bff and wonder why they act up in school when they dont get their way. Some life skills come from the above statement.....moral values...hmmm this is a tough one because some parents suck ! Some never should have kids but they do.

teachers should never have to wash kids clothes, call the so called parents to bring clean clothes if that dont work, CYS 

I know of several instances where teachers have bought shoes and clothes for kids. All this does is let the so called parent/s continue to not prioritize their kids...carton of cigs and a new tat or shoes for the kids...NOT TEACHERS JOB

let the teachers stick to academics AGREED   next time you buy something give the cashier enough money so you get a even $5 back and watch them have a mind melt   $16.15 give $21.15...right away they will try to give you that dollar back first

as far as cooking, I was told there is food in the kitchen and I learned to cook and that is before google..I like to cook....It would be interesting to see how many kids would like to have someone like dave ramsey come in and learn how to save money , plan for the things they want, show them how and why ...

ANYHOO...I agree with Lavender for what its worth...teachers teach

We learned about money & counting in elementary school. Each year we learned more about it, how to pay bills, balance a checkbook, etc. This was during math class.

We all, yes boys included, learned how to cook, sew & take care of a baby in Home Ec in the middle school.

In high school Home Ec, we learned more cooking skills, budgeting, planning a wedding, the costs of having a baby, the costs of buying or building a house, learning to crochet 🧶, taking care of a pet & costs involved, & a whole lot more!!

Loved my home Ec teachers…Mrs Sedlock & Mrs Lyle

2 hours ago, blueskylady said:

Nowhere….just asking for names

google search loudon county school district, fairfax school board, DOJ/HOMELAND SECURITY/ HECK SEARCH DOMESTIC TERRORIST YOU WILL GET ALL KINDS OF NAMES///sorry for the caps....making supper, yes Im cooking and no time to retype

3 hours ago, Bon said:

We learned about money & counting in elementary school. Each year we learned more about it, how to pay bills, balance a checkbook, etc. This was during math class.

We all, yes boys included, learned how to cook, sew & take care of a baby in Home Ec in the middle school.

In high school Home Ec, we learned more cooking skills, budgeting, planning a wedding, the costs of having a baby, the costs of buying or building a house, learning to crochet 🧶, taking care of a pet & costs involved, & a whole lot more!!

Loved my home Ec teachers…Mrs Sedlock & Mrs Lyle

I was going to say the same thing Bon but you already said it.

" how to pay bills, balance a checkbook, etc. This was during math class."

"In high school Home Ec, we learned more cooking skills"

I see nothing wrong with teachers doing this in Math Class and I liked home-ec well the cooking part especially when we got to eat all that food. haha but I did learn how to sew and if I was a single dad this skill would come in handy.

47 minutes ago, WMJ77 said:

google search loudon county school district, fairfax school board, DOJ/HOMELAND SECURITY/ HECK SEARCH DOMESTIC TERRORIST YOU WILL GET ALL KINDS OF NAMES///sorry for the caps....making supper, yes Im cooking and no time to retype

Thank you! I will check it out!