GoDuBois.com

Hahne house

crazycat

The wrought iron fence at the Hahne house has been damaged by a gigantic tree that fell yesterday during the storm. Its a very old tree and very old fence. What a beautiful house and grounds old Frank had looking over his brewary. Too bad it couldn't have been saved. I hope the fence can be fixed.

So would I . I can see it from my porch, love the cobblestone wall surrounding the porch. I hope the fence will be fixed they've been working on it all week doing something I don't know what though. At least the downed tree is cut up and gone.

So would I . I can see it from my porch, love the cobblestone wall surrounding the porch. I hope the fence will be fixed they've been working on it all week doing something I don't know what though. At least the downed tree is cut up and gone.

They are widening that intersection at Main Street and increasing the turn radius...A LOT!!! They were working on it before the tree came down and the hole in front of the tree may have weakened the root structure and contributed to it coming down...IMO.

I took these on the way home from work today with my cellphone. You can see the new curb and where the cones are is where the curb is/was. You can also see the hole in the fence from the tree in the 1st one.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mickeyvixie

I have seen the inside of the house briefly once.  We were taking a walk and the very nice lady who owns it was outside gardening.  My then 3.5 decided she had to go potty NOW!  We were quite a few blocks from home at the time.  We had been talking with the owner and she offered to let my DD use the bathroom.

From what I saw...WOW!  I tried not to be too nosy. But it was so pretty and the ceiling in the "drawing Room/entry????"  is super freakin' high.   SOOOOO much beautiful woodwork.  There is a powder room off there that my DD used.  I did compliment her highly on the house all the while trying not to sound like my eyes were taking everything in as I walked the 10 feet or so to the potty.  LOL   They have an awesome grand piano that my finger were itching to play as I passed it.  HEHEHE!

Love that house..Makes me feel like I am in another time since I can see it from my backdoor..

I felt awful when I saw the pics of the tree.   They seem like such nice people and seem to love the kids at Halloween if you trick or treat there.

The loss of the tree may be for the best. It fell away from the house therefor protecting it from later damAge.

But our city manager wants a city ordinance that no one cuts down a tree without replacing a tree.  This tree came down because of the contractor's disturbing the soil, etc. around the root system, weakening the tree.  This tree may have stood for another fifty years or more and I would like to see what the city will do to correct what their contractor caused.

Just maybe with the new business coming to the old Brewery location perhaps it needed widening then.

Not really.  The easiest entry is from Washington (I believe that's the name).  This will also give safer entry onto Main Street.

Further, if you look at the property maps for the Brewery location, you will see widening the road will be problematic for some property owners, whereas the other street would not.  Then again, this may just have been some of the "Block Grant" money that had to be spent and this looked like a good spot (again instead of fixing sidewalks in some of the areas of the city that are not so "prominent").  

Come on Herm, you can better.

If this is the case that is sad we had to loose that tree then. South Main Steet is so nice with them but I am sure the utility companies don't see it like that.

Don't think it was a utility company that did the damage, although the utility companies have butchered more than their share!

DuBois has way more that it's share of damaged, dead and dying trees in terrible spots.  As the town grew there was no program in place to replace these trees.  Look at the top of the embankment at the end of Liberty Boulevard.  The city has had an excellent tree program in their hands for years.  It's about time they started to deal with the dangerous trees and replanting for the future.  There are many grants they missed and it could have been applied well.  

• 11 months later...

With the last weeks storms and trees that fell, another one was lost in front of this house again. There was 4 now 2 are left. Both end ones are gone now. Weird... Last year took one and now again last week.

• 1 month later...