GoDuBois.com

Take a look and see if you know the year this picture was taken

AT_PSU_07

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Packard is a 1949-1950 and is in pretty nice shape. With the best resolution I can get, the flag looks like a 48-star, which would be pre-1959. The parking meters are of a newer design, probably early 1950's. The Federal Building still has 12-light single-pane sash that looks like it needs painted. The recruiting posters appear to be Korean War era. I would be inclined to guess1952 for the year of the photo.

Car parked illegally!  Can make out the US Route 219 sign clearly.  Can also make out the recruiting sign of the three branches of the military.  Don't appear to be leaves on the shrubbery.  With flags at half mast, I would put the date at sometime after JFK's funeral.  If I remember correctly the day of the funeral was bright, sunny, but cold (a Monday).  The previous day was overcast and rainy (Sunday, Sykesville).  I remember sitting in front of the fireplace in my parents home, Sunday lunch, but eating a bowl of home made chicken noodle soup, watch everything on TV.  All of a sudden right in front of the world, Lee Harvey Oswald was murdered.

.....I remember that day, too.....

I'm 73..The car is a Hudson..(from Eastside Garage)... What gets it for me.Is the new parking meters(people hated them).(One appeared in front of our house) and the delibert disregard for them by the driver of the car..(DuBoisites hated them).... I think it's 1951(+/-) just after we declared war in Korea..The recruiting posters show the war was cranking up..Many DuBois reserves went after marching around in the Reserve Training Facility (now The Hitching Post) and bivouacing up where Coke Hill is now..I rode my bicycle up to watch them just before they went.....

I agree for best thread of the week!  How about some more "guess the date pictures"?

On a sidenote, for those who like this thread, do yourself a favor and take a walk through the downtown area in the evening (no neon glow) to get a feeling of what this town was (and also what it can be again!).  Even with many of the old buildings gone, there remains many architecturally interesting sites.

Sorry! No prize!

I do NOT know the year the picture was taken. My dad had this picture from his parents in a box. I thought it'd be neat to see some guesses from DuBois people and some older folks.

I had guessed the car to be a late 40s Desoto but this is way before my time!

With the best resolution I can get, the flag looks like a 48-star, which would be pre-1959.

I really don't see how you got 48 stars? I have a much higher resolution scan of this picture and I don't even see 10 stars. But maybe you found something I didn't see?

I will agree that the picture is from the early 50s but THERE IS NO DEFINITE ANSWER since the person(s) who could have taken the picture are no longer with us.

It's still fun guessing right?

I'll see what else I can find and do this again.

• Administrators

I'll give a prize out if we can determine out the correct date.

Evo Facchine from the Historical Society would probably know.  They probably have that photo there.

I will be meeting with him next week, I'll see if I can come up with something.

Sorry! No prize!

I do NOT know the year the picture was taken. My dad had this picture from his parents in a box. I thought it'd be neat to see some guesses from DuBois people and some older folks.

I really don't see how you got 48 stars? I have a much higher resolution scan of this picture and I don't even see 10 stars. But maybe you found something I didn't see?

I will agree that the picture is from the early 50s but THERE IS NO DEFINITE ANSWER since the person(s) who could have taken the picture are no longer with us.

Picture thief ........    ;D   just kidding  ...... I'll  check with your uncle ...... he may know

How about you long term DuBois residents getting another "what year is it photo up"?  One that you know the answer to!  Also, how about some of the older DuBois fireman on the forum, post some pictures of some of the devastating downtown fires that occurred in the 50's, 60's & 70's?  Maybe Dub has something from the Courier archives?

Sorry! No prize!

OLDER FOLKS?......I resemble that remark!.......