GoDuBois.com

WW2 letters

ak474me

In collecting numerous WW2 items, I have been able to come across some great WW2 letters between soldiers and love ones back home. Many are very touching and a great way to go back in time and see how ones dealt with war and love:) The newest set of letters are between a soldier in the Pacific from 1942-45 and his wife back home in PA. There are 150 letters and i have only gone through 5-7 of them so far. One of them still had a photograph in the letter....

77158_464365559555_777719555_5275298_878863_n_9598.jpg

When we moved in our house in 1984, I found a bunch of war letters. One of them told about my father in law getting wounded by shrapnel from friendly fire. I kept that one, though I don't know where it is, may have given it to my mother-in-law??? And like an idiot, I could kick myself, I think I burnt the rest. Now I make scrapbooks, and I am so mad at myself for that. Wish I could go back, and know what I know now...

That V-mail letter Tiramisu is really cool looking. It is pretty neat to read these letters and I shall try and scan couple of them as one of them is really loving and written from the heart.  I also have numerous Japanese documents and letters but cannot find anyone to translate them. These were captured on the battlefield. It would be interesting to know what they say. That is too bad Mabell1025 as I too have gotten rid of stuff I should not have :(

72479_456427154555_777719555_5151395_5901616_n_2747.jpg

69826_456427139555_777719555_5151394_3274557_n_1468.jpg

I have a case of WWll letters that are very interesting also but I don't know the authors (personally). I bought it at an auction locally. There were many other boxes of other historical items and I wish I had gotten more. So interesting. All were reponses to one woman over the course of the war. And from different men! But not at the same time. I havent read them all yet but the ones that I have read are touching and very interesting. Many of the men talked about missing family and friends and what they were going through. You could tell that the writers on both ends were trying to be positive though in the things that they mentioned.

That is great Smokefree..I also head to auctions and estate sales trying to find military and historical items. I have a letter from a German soldier on the Russian front to his wife. My German is not that good but still translated some of it. I also have 8 letters from a French Navy crewman who was writing to a penpal in the US before ww2 and during. There is even a nice  Free French Christmas card in it..But I really do not know much French. I did try and contact PSU to see if I could get the Japanese letter and documents translated but no one wanted to do it

scan0231_4291.jpg

scan0232_3974.jpg