GoDuBois.com

Liberty Boulevard Embankment Project Under Way In DuBois

mr.d

Liberty Boulevard Embankment Project Under Way in DuBois

DUBOIS – An embankment project on the top portion of Liberty Boulevard is under way, and current plans are for work to be finished prior to DuBois Community Days.

“It’s going to be as nice, if not nicer, than the Tannery Dam project,” commented City Manager John “Herm” Suplizio on Monday night

IMG_4969.jpg?resize=563%2C750&ssl=1

Council is also urging people to report potholes on city-maintained roadways so they can be patched by the road crew.

It was noted, however, that the city is not responsible for maintenance of every roadway within the municipality.

Council member Shannon Gabriel said most people believe the city is responsible for the roadway in front of Penn State DuBois.

She said she’s read pot hole complaints on social media, and while located in DuBois City, these roadways are overseen by PennDOT.

Council said other construction projects will resume in the DuBois area as warmer weather approaches.  

Council also voted to pass a resolution to apply for a state grant through the Department of Conservation & Natural Resources.

This PA DCNR grant will be used for improvements to the DuBois Memorial Park.

Some of the trees were indeed way past the time that they should have been removed. Various folks made the city well aware of this over the years as well as other problems with the area.  They also removed many perfectly healthy trees that were added during the last "renovation." Many of them were flowering ornamentals.  I hope more thought has been put into this renovation than the last one where ongoing maintenance was not taken into consideration. The embankment has been maintained, as well as could be managed, by volunteers for quite a few years. An impossibility and dangerous as well. It's a problematic area and needs professional care. I hope it will now be getting it. 

Many of those trees were planted in recent projects with a lot of time and expense.  The ones at the top of the embankment were dead and dangerous but the city ignored our requests to remove them for MANY years.  The ones actually planted on the hillside were quality specimens in perfect shape, planted by hand properly so they would grow and be healthy.

A lot of time and money went into relandscaping that hillside and reshaping it into a beautiful garden that was meant to last for decades.  If we had the time and money invested back, we could go on a long vacation instead of nursing sore backs and time lost with our families.

What will they plant in the future?  We can only hope they're trees unlike what was planted in the downtown because they were a fad.  They failed.  I hope they use their heads instead of their wallets when choosing the species and whether they are planted properly or just "plugged" into the ground.  

I think I'm mad!

Courier Express printed this. I love the transparent trees they are going to plant.;) Sorry I couldn't resist. Somebody playing with print shop. I hope they have more serious plans that take drainage and erosion into consideration.

safe_image.jpg

10 minutes ago, Gold Brick said:

Where is the water fountain they promised?

I would think that it would have to be on top. That doesn't look like a scale rendition of the embankment. Having climbed over every inch of it for the past 15 or so years it my feet tell me it isn't all that accurate. 

4 hours ago, lavender said:

Courier Express printed this. I love the transparent trees they are going to plant.;) Sorry I couldn't resist. Somebody playing with print shop. I hope they have more serious plans that take drainage and erosion into consideration.

safe_image.jpg

Is that a water fountain at the bottom right. My eyes are not that good tonight and cannot see very well

3 hours ago, Gator11 said:

Is that a water fountain at the bottom right. My eyes are not that good tonight and cannot see very well

image.png

I think the part I circled is the water feature/fountain.  It appears to be at the top of the stairs.

1 hour ago, lavender said:

And how will this investigation affect that project? Does it have something to do with where grant money is going?

Believe the investigation started before this project. Not saying there hasn't been money skimmed from this also.

Hah!  Now to watch the Domino effect!

From the gossip I heard, the water fountain will be something like what is at the ball field.  Something to shut off for most of the year and evaporate water for no good reason.

Yes, I guess I'm madder today than yesterday.  I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about the trees that are gone!

59 minutes ago, joestacey06 said:

Believe the investigation started before this project. Not saying there hasn't been money skimmed from this also.

I'd hate to see the whole embankment wash out onto the street with the spring rains. With the vegetation gone erosion will occur. They had better get those walls up quick. Hopefully, the whole project won't shut down. 

I doubt that any of the projects will be affected, more like money over and above the projects costs, possibly as kick backs?    Maybe small projects that were never done?  I'm sure we will be finding out soon.

2 hours ago, Petee said:

I doubt that any of the projects will be affected, more like money over and above the projects costs, possibly as kick backs?    Maybe small projects that were never done?  I'm sure we will be finding out soon.

What a shame this is🥺

12 hours ago, lavender said:

Think it is supposed to be a person. It appears to be on the sidewalk. 

12 hours ago, allboys said

image.png

Yep you are right. I see the top half of the person tonight. Plus I was looking for a drinking fountain and not a water fountain haha I misread the question. Blood sugar was a little high last night and my vision was blurry.

2 hours ago, Gator11 said:

image.png

Yep you are right. I see the top half of the person tonight. Plus I was looking for a drinking fountain and not a water fountain haha I misread the question. Blood sugar was a little high last night and my vision was blurry.

It is a funny looking person and it looks as though someone photoshopped a weird pair of pants on him so it isn't entirely your eyesight. 

3 hours ago, Gator11 said:

image.png

I had to blow it up and squint at it.  In today's digital age, you would think they would have been able to produce a better mock up than this.  This is more like an elementary kid's painting.  :lol:

9 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

This is what the project will look like after all three phases are done.

Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 9.15.15 AM.png

I just knew the roundabout would be utilized somehow. PennDot will just spend time plowing circle after circle.

9 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

This is what the project will look like after all three phases are done.

Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 9.15.15 AM.png