GoDuBois.com

Liberty Boulevard Embankment Project Under Way In DuBois

mr.d

It’s harder than hell to get out of that area near fox’s let alone have a damn roundabout put in! I feel so sad that all of the hard work that these people put in trying to beautify that area is now ruined! I hope they are planning on really doing a job in the gardening area and I can understand the trees needing cut down since they have been so old and dead, and putting in lights for the kids going to PSU and making it more safer up in that area! 

To be sung to the tune of The Man Who Never Returned aka the MTA Song

Well, let me tell you of the story of a man named Charlie
On a tragic and fateful day
Put his keys  in his pocket, kissed his wife and family
Went out his bills to pay

Well did he ever return, no he never returned
And his fate is still unlearned 
He may ride forever on the roundabout in DuBois
He's the man who never returned

Charlie's wife goes down to the Beaver Meadow
Every day at quarter past two
Through her car’s open window she tosses  Charlie a sandwich
As his truck comes rumblin' through.

He's the man who never returned

Now you citizens of DuBois don't cha think it's a scandal
How the people have to pay and pay
Fight ball parks and the dog parks
And save Charlie from losing his way

He's the man who never returned :sarcastic:

3 hours ago, busrolls36 said:

It’s harder than hell to get out of that area near fox’s let alone have a damn roundabout put in! I feel so sad that all of the hard work that these people put in trying to beautify that area is now ruined! I hope they are planning on really doing a job in the gardening area and I can understand the trees needing cut down since they have been so old and dead, and putting in lights for the kids going to PSU and making it more safer up in that area! 

I'm sure the landscaping will be pretty cut and dried.  It takes personal dedication to create a unique, historic and top quality garden.  Anyone can plug in trees that should look nice and MAY suit the conditions, but we sought out top quality trees that would withstand the elements beyond our lifetimes.  We've seen the ravages of Silver Maples and Bradford Pears.  Both were considered great for their time, but over all, they created more mess and disappointment than anyone would have believed.

1 hour ago, Petee said:

I'm sure the landscaping will be pretty cut and dried.  It takes personal dedication to create a unique, historic and top quality garden.  Anyone can plug in trees that should look nice and MAY suit the conditions, but we sought out top quality trees that would withstand the elements beyond our lifetimes.  We've seen the ravages of Silver Maples and Bradford Pears.  Both were considered great for their time, but over all, they created more mess and disappointment than anyone would have believed.

When I come out of Penn State, I go across the top of the embankment (2nd Street?) and go to the street near Fox's. Then I shoot across to the street that comes down to the light at Jim's Atlantic, get gas or just head across toward Ace Hardware.  It's a little out of my way, but not worth hasseling with traffic.  With a little forethought, it's not hard to maneuver around the traffic jam.  Usually someone will let you out as long as you have your turn signal on so they know which way you are turning.

I've never seen the Tannery Dam project.  Obviously it's a little out of the average person's way, and I think a lot of those renovations were because ot the deterioration of the dam, and for fishermen, not necessarily for beautification.

One thing nice about the new roundabout is that it eliminates being stuck by the train traffic since the tracks go under the roundabout.  Construction of the 5.6 million project started April 1st

A round about at the Harley Shop would absolutely work and solve almost all of those traffic problems in the area but who has the vision to do it?  I can figure it out!  It's not that difficult to do.

Hopefully they have the common sense to salvage the blocks and soil from that embankment.  The soil alone has been nurtured for years.  Anything under it after it's been scalped will be pretty worthless so new will have to be added.  

I keep thinking about the hundreds of miles we traveled to find specific plants good for that garden, and the city even added a water bib for us to use.  Once we were done with the basic planting, there was very little erosion.  One garden club has maintained it ever since and what they alone dedicated to it was a marvel.  

Just so there is no confusion the Down to Earth Garden Club that has been taking care of the embankment gardens from the last renovation (10-15 years) until last summer, with occasional help from service groups from PSU and Tri-county church, (give credit where credit is due!) was delighted that the city was taking an interest in the area. We did what we could but it was no job for amateurs. Parts of the area were steep and dangerous. Mulch would not stay on it so there was no way to suppress weeds. I have pictures, where after a hard rain, the sidewalk was covered with mulch and dirt from the borders near the steps and the entire area to the right. Water poured down either side of the steps and undermined them. The cement blocks that we put in in an effort to terrace the area beside the stairs helped a bit but poor drainage was an ongoing problem. The trees were not cared for as it was a job for professional tree people with proper equipment. Much of the slope was just allowed to go back to nature. We just hoped that the pretty gardens and borders were a distraction from the weeds. 

The barberries, red twigged dogwood and grasses that were put in at the last renovation were close to the end of their lifespans. It was a nice south slope but the soil wasn't particularly good and was shallow. There were areas that were wet and muddy from seepage especially across from Harley-Davidson. The group cheered when it was revealed at a meeting that we would no longer have to make like mountain goats.

The only problem we had was that we were misled as to the time frame that we had to remove plants. We lost a lot of plants including rose bushes and peonies. Most of the plants were not visible this early and they couldn't be found. The cutting of the beautiful black lace elderberry was a crime and the cutting of the much babied weeping cherry was sad. Some of the stuff was too big to salvage if we could have found it. 

Our only concern at this point is that more thought is being put into maintenance than was put into the last renovation, which was none. And hopefully they will not run out of money before it is finished as they did last time. Planted areas need constant attention something that those who do the panning do not always realize. We have absolutely no problem with the city doing its duty to this area. We are cheering them on and hoping for the best. 

Traffic circles, aka roundabouts are quite effective and allow traffic to flow much faster.

However, the flow is based on drivers who follow the rules of the circle...that being:

1) Traffic inside the circle has the Right of Way!!

2) Stay in your lane!!

3) Pay attention to your driving.

If you want to experience a roundabout in this area, drive through St. Marys, around the diamond, during rush hour. It's not exactly a roundabout; it's close. 

Given the way the DuBois City Memorial Park and the Juniata Lake projects turned out, perhaps the power-that-be in DuBois should be given the benefit of the doubt over the results of the DuBois Avenue project. 

Landscape One was the contractor at Heindel  Field and they are the landscape contractor for this project according to the newspaper. I have seen some of their other work so I'm confident the results and plantings will be good.  

On 4/8/2022 at 12:44 AM, lavender said:

It is a funny looking person and it looks as though someone photoshopped a weird pair of pants on him so it isn't entirely your eyesight. 

That is a woman carrying a purse, not a man with weird pants.

Roundabouts?  Weird seeing many on here in support of them.  How times have changed.

I lived in the eastern part of the state for many years and each town has a "square".  Would be nice if DuBois worked one of those into their landscape.  

5 hours ago, beechboy said:

If you want to experience a roundabout in this area, drive through St. Marys, around the diamond, during rush hour. It's not exactly a roundabout; it's close. 

😂🤣😂 The only part that is close to a roundabout is from SMP to the RR going north (255) & turning where they tore 1/2 the block down going east (120).

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2022 at 9:43 PM, Petee said:

I've never seen the Tannery Dam project.  Obviously it's a little out of the average person's way, and I think a lot of those renovations were because ot the deterioration of the dam, and for fishermen, not necessarily for beautification.

The Tannery Dam project with the fence to "control geese" around half of the water? Because geese can't fly..... or walk...  

That said, I do like the sidewalk, the bridge, the lights, and of course the fountain to help keep the water from turning a revolting green. 

I'm sure that most of that was to make it look pretty for the hotel that, as far as I know, none of the people that lived around there really wanted to be built there.  We won't discuss who owns the hotel.....   

On a nice day, take a drive over and take a walk around.  It is a nice area.  

On 4/11/2022 at 7:04 AM, Lizard said:

The bank did look nicer than before being landscaped but DuBois could use so much more than a new pretty bank. Maybe it will save the area like all the money spent on ball fields. 

Suggestions?  No idea what you expect.  Progess is being made, but it will take years, if not decades to refurb the city as well as ongoing work to maintain it.  Bits and pieces.

I see that they chopped down the Pear Tree beside the dress shop near Luigi's.  I wonder if the others at the parking lot will go next?  They are Bradford Pears which are a poor specimen of an ornamental pear tree.  These are the Redspire.