GoDuBois.com

Liberty Boulevard Embankment Project Under Way In DuBois

mr.d

On 4/11/2022 at 7:04 AM, Lizard said:

The bank did look nicer than before being landscaped but DuBois could use so much more than a new pretty bank. Maybe it will save the area like all the money spent on ball fields. 

There was quite a bit of grant money spent on ball fields, however do you know the amount of revenue those fields are bringing in to the area?  

27 minutes ago, L8RG8R said:

There was quite a bit of grant money spent on ball fields, however do you know the amount of revenue those fields are bringing in to the area?  

I think the city keeps tabs on that and they should be able to provide exact figures.  I remember reading in the Courier that the Clearfield county something-or-other said that the revenue generated paid for the renovations after 1 year.  I can't find the article, but I think it was from 2019.  

6 minutes ago, Cacao said:

I think the city keeps tabs on that and they should be able to provide exact figures.  I remember reading in the Courier that the Clearfield county something-or-other said that the revenue generated paid for the renovations after 1 year.  I can't find the article, but I think it was from 2019.  

The city isn't going to have revenue numbers of the local businesses that have benefitted from the fields.  During the summer months, it is not uncommon for every hotel in the area to be full of players and parents.  Those parents are eating, drinking, shopping, etc at our establishments.  They are tipping our servers and spending a lot of money here.  As for what the city is making on the fields, I could care less.  There probably isn't a ton of profit if you consider the wear and tear those fields take.

2 minutes ago, L8RG8R said:

The city isn't going to have revenue numbers of the local businesses that have benefitted from the fields.  During the summer months, it is not uncommon for every hotel in the area to be full of players and parents.  Those parents are eating, drinking, shopping, etc at our establishments.  They are tipping our servers and spending a lot of money here.  As for what the city is making on the fields, I could care less.  There probably isn't a ton of profit if you consider the wear and tear those fields take.

Not sure why you're so grumpy.  I did not insinuate what profit the city is getting. BUT, the city probably does have the revenue numbers or could direct you to the organization who does. 

There is minimal upkeep on those fields and they're designed to handle wear and tear.  If coaches sprinkle the pellets in heavy traffic areas from time to time, the "carpet" will a long time.  

Gets me how people b**** about how the City applies for grant money with a specific design for certain projects to improve the City and then uses it as designed if rewarded. It’s grant money that we all are taxed for like it or not and if rewarded it MUST BE used for the project and design applied for, if not it will be forfeited. And if the City doesn’t apply for these grants or use it as intended it will go to some other town/city.

That embankment has been an eyesore for years and yes it was improved a bit with the volunteer work that was done but it needed much more work done. There is no way that volunteers would be able to do that work on a project that size and maintain it, especially this day and age. I’m sure that the smaller projects that the volunteers have done like on the walkway have been appreciated and do look nice.

Just can’t please everybody. 🙄

2 minutes ago, Eastman said:

Gets me how people b**** about how the City applies for grant money with a specific design for certain projects to improve the City and then uses it as designed if rewarded. It’s grant money that we all are taxed for like it or not and if rewarded it MUST BE used for the project and design applied for, if not it will be forfeited. And if the City doesn’t apply for these grants or use it as intended it will go to some other town/city.

That embankment has been an eyesore for years and yes it was improved a bit with the volunteer work that was done but it needed much more work done. There is no way that volunteers would be able to do that work on a project that size and maintain it, especially this day and age. I’m sure that the smaller projects that the volunteers have done like on the walkway have been appreciated and do look nice.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

18 minutes ago, Eastman said:

While your point is valid that it's better "we" get it over "them", grant money is still usually from tax dollars.  I would prefer to have my tax dollars go to fixing our horrible streets first.  Priorities get skewed.  The appearance of that bank does not matter if the town is full of potholes.  Can you imagine the people passing through, "Boy that park up there looked nice, but man, I broke a shock just down the road from it."    

It's great seeing all the kids on the fields and not glued to their phone. Some won't be happy no matter what. Businesses do well, people come to the area and get to see other attractions this area has to offer. The Challenger Field is also a very nice addition. Haters gonna hate, without forward thinking we would have nothing. Can we do even better, yes, things take time and we are moving in the right direction.

7 minutes ago, disgruntled said:

While your point is valid that it's better "we" get it over "them", grant money is still usually from tax dollars.  I would prefer to have my tax dollars go to fixing our horrible streets first.  Priorities get skewed.  The appearance of that bank does not matter if the town is full of potholes.  Can you imagine the people passing through, "Boy that park up there looked nice, but man, I broke a shock just down the road from it."    

Are you bitching about City of DuBois roads or Penn Dots roads? Yeah sounds stupid they are in the city but supposedly maintained by PADOT.

12 minutes ago, disgruntled said:

You seem to be comparing apples and oranges.  All of the money used is from tax dollars, but it's not one giant pot of money they pull from and use where ever.  The roads are a budget item for the city and state.  A certain amount of tax dollars, either state or local, are allocated to each budget item.  The local governing body adopts the budget and it takes a vote to reallocate funds within that budget.  You can prefer to state where your tax dollars go all you want.  However, your tax dollars that pay for the roads and your tax dollars that are paying for the bank are not in the same "pool" of tax dollars.

The state also takes a certain amount of state tax money and sets it aside for grants available to every city, borough, municipality, etc in the state.  These funds must be applied for with a grant proposal stating what they are going to use the funds for and they have zero leeway.

You can have perfect roads, but if the surrounding area looks like a crumbling zombie town it won't matter because no one will be driving on those roads at all.

2 hours ago, Cacao said:

Not sure why you're so grumpy.  I did not insinuate what profit the city is getting. BUT, the city probably does have the revenue numbers or could direct you to the organization who does. 

There is minimal upkeep on those fields and they're designed to handle wear and tear.  If coaches sprinkle the pellets in heavy traffic areas from time to time, the "carpet" will a long time.  

I'm not grumpy one bit.  And believe it or not, there is more to maintaining the turf than "sprinkling the pellets".  The batters boxes and mound need replaced multiple times a year, the cages need replaced, padding that is ripped or torn, broken lights, broken advertisement screens, scoreboards that get hit with balls, speakers, microphones, broken seats from vandalism, etc.  The field does not need dirt and daily maintenance, that is correct, however there is a lifespan on the turf.  Typically around 10 years.  If you want to see what happens to the turf when it is not maintained, visit Pullman Park in Butler.  

1 hour ago, L8RG8R said:

I'm not grumpy one bit.  And believe it or not, there is more to maintaining the turf than "sprinkling the pellets".  The batters boxes and mound need replaced multiple times a year, the cages need replaced, padding that is ripped or torn, broken lights, broken advertisement screens, scoreboards that get hit with balls, speakers, microphones, broken seats from vandalism, etc.  The field does not need dirt and daily maintenance, that is correct, however there is a lifespan on the turf.  Typically around 10 years.  If you want to see what happens to the turf when it is not maintained, visit Pullman Park in Butler.  

I can't speak for other fields, only speaking about the 3 in DuBois.

Batters boxes and mounds do not need replaced multiple times a year.  Heavy traffic areas will last longer with more pellets.  I've been working on 2 of the 3 fields since they were built.  Showers had their boxes and mound area replaced mostly caused by metal cleats.  Stern hasn't had any problems.

3 hours ago, Cacao said:

I can't speak for other fields, only speaking about the 3 in DuBois.

Batters boxes and mounds do not need replaced multiple times a year.  Heavy traffic areas will last longer with more pellets.  I've been working on 2 of the 3 fields since they were built.  Showers had their boxes and mound area replaced mostly caused by metal cleats.  Stern hasn't had any problems.

Denny Heindl, a Ridgway resident, is giving $10,000 a year for forever to be used to maintain the field.

DuBOIS — Teams traveling to DuBois and Clearfield County for the 2018 City of DuBois USCAA Small College World Series are expected to begin arriving to the area this Saturday.

A total of nine traveling small college baseball teams, along with Penn State DuBois, and 10 traveling softball teams will compete at Showers and Heindl fields for their respective national championships this coming week starting on Monday.

Overnight bookings have come in higher than originally estimated, according to Matthew Checchio, president of Magnus Marketing.

When initial planning was under way in the fall, the planning committee estimated approximately 750 room nights with local hotels. However, more parents, fans and school officials are expected to be traveling with the teams as the estimated room count was approaching close to 1,000 room nights at hotels and lodging locations within the county as of Wednesday. The event is expected to bring the largest number of room bookings by a single event in Clearfield County history.

23 hours ago, allboys said:

You seem to be comparing apples and oranges.  All of the money used is from tax dollars, but it's not one giant pot of money they pull from and use where ever.  The roads are a budget item for the city and state.  A certain amount of tax dollars, either state or local, are allocated to each budget item.  The local governing body adopts the budget and it takes a vote to reallocate funds within that budget.  You can prefer to state where your tax dollars go all you want.  However, your tax dollars that pay for the roads and your tax dollars that are paying for the bank are not in the same "pool" of tax dollars.

The state also takes a certain amount of state tax money and sets it aside for grants available to every city, borough, municipality, etc in the state.  These funds must be applied for with a grant proposal stating what they are going to use the funds for and they have zero leeway.

You can have perfect roads, but if the surrounding area looks like a crumbling zombie town it won't matter because no one will be driving on those roads at all.

Key word in your first sentence: "seem"  

Crumbling zombie town with great roads or pretty "spots" with crappy roads?  Seems like an unfair choice.  My overall point is it shouldn't have to be a choice.  Designating money for pretty when you have failing infrastructure is silly and we can thank politicians for that.  To overly simplify, that is like putting a new front door on your house when all of the windows are broken when the door worked just fine.

So call Penn Dot!  They are the problem, and my guess is that this work needed done before they will do the needed road work below the embankment.  Water has leaked constantly down both ends of the embankment.  Again, my guess is that the city didn't have the money for these repairs for one reason or the other, so they applied the CBDG funds to rebuilding the area so it would come under a grant instead of out of their own funds.

Penn Dot may be able to answer your questions, and while a private phone call might net you that info, I seriously doubt that they would post it in a newspaper article unless the newspaper called them for it.  Any newspaper reporter who does an article that upsets a local apple cart also would probably not have a job for long.

6 hours ago, disgruntled said:

Key word in your first sentence: "seem"  

Crumbling zombie town with great roads or pretty "spots" with crappy roads?  Seems like an unfair choice.  My overall point is it shouldn't have to be a choice.  Designating money for pretty when you have failing infrastructure is silly and we can thank politicians for that.  To overly simplify, that is like putting a new front door on your house when all of the windows are broken when the door worked just fine.

You still don't get it.  2 different pools of money.  That is the point, beginning and end.  They can't use the grant to fix the roads.  That road is a state road, so the city isn't going to fix it no matter how much anyone whines about it.  It isn't a CHOICE between the embankment and the road.  It might be a choice between the embankment and another area of the town that is not a road.

1 hour ago, Petee said:

So call Penn Dot!  They are the problem, and my guess is that this work needed done before they will do the needed road work below the embankment.  Water has leaked constantly down both ends of the embankment.  Again, my guess is that the city didn't have the money for these repairs for one reason or the other, so they applied the CBDG funds to rebuilding the area so it would come under a grant instead of out of their own funds.

Penn Dot may be able to answer your questions, and while a private phone call might net you that info, I seriously doubt that they would post it in a newspaper article unless the newspaper called them for it.  Any newspaper reporter who does an article that upsets a local apple cart also would probably not have a job for long.

Any newspaper reporter who does an article that upsets a local apple cart also would probably not have a job for long.

That's why I've been saying for a long time that we need a good no BS bull dog type of investigative reporter in our area. That's not afraid of repercussions. And I'm getting ready to start a new post regarding something else. Which should be looked into as well.

3 hours ago, fedup said:

If we have to deal with vote getting "grant money", why can't the local government decide where that money is spent?

Every city applies for CBDG funds every year, and they must present a budget for spending it.  Minor changes can be made between the time the request is made and when the work happens, but it all has to be accounted for in the end.

The city makes the work decisions but it has to be done according to the budget that was originally submitted by the city and approved by the state and federal governments.

State roads run through almost every municipality, and the regular maintenance and major repairs are done by them unless they have an agreement with the municipality that the municipality will do it for the state in exchange for another section of road or equipment for that section of road and whatever else will benefit and save money on the overall job.  I think Main Street was given to the city and a plow truck was tossed in for doing it?  It saves the state from having to drive across those roads to get to another section when they can take care of the entire section in one swoop.  Someone else may word it better but it's an economic agreement between crews who maintain the roads.  Who owns the deed to the roads is usually the one who must maintain them, and the roadway in front of the embankment belongs to the state, not DuBois.

Since the embankment has problems that possibly will need to be integrated with the road repairs, it's probably a joint plan between the two entities.

Ditto with Maple Avenue.

3 hours ago, BillyC said:

Any newspaper reporter who does an article that upsets a local apple cart also would probably not have a job for long.

That's why I've been saying for a long time that we need a good no BS bull dog type of investigative reporter in our area. That's not afraid of repercussions. And I'm getting ready to start a new post regarding something else. Which should be looked into as well.

Hooray!  Go for it!  Someone has to.