Jump to content
GoDuBois.com

Liberty Boulevard Embankment Project Under Way In DuBois


mr.d
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Petee said:

Every city applies for CBDG funds every year, and they must present a budget for spending it.  Minor changes can be made between the time the request is made and when the work happens, but it all has to be accounted for in the end.

The city makes the work decisions but it has to be done according to the budget that was originally submitted by the city and approved by the state and federal governments.

State roads run through almost every municipality, and the regular maintenance and major repairs are done by them unless they have an agreement with the municipality that the municipality will do it for the state in exchange for another section of road or equipment for that section of road and whatever else will benefit and save money on the overall job.  I think Main Street was given to the city and a plow truck was tossed in for doing it?  It saves the state from having to drive across those roads to get to another section when they can take care of the entire section in one swoop.  Someone else may word it better but it's an economic agreement between crews who maintain the roads.  Who owns the deed to the roads is usually the one who must maintain them, and the roadway in front of the embankment belongs to the state, not DuBois.

Since the embankment has problems that possibly will need to be integrated with the road repairs, it's probably a joint plan between the two entities.

Ditto with Maple Avenue.

That's my point.

 

The pollys use the tax payers money to buy their votes. No different than the WAM money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

with so much " GRANT " monies flying the city`s way surely all the road workers are getting their fair amount of pay AND benefits ( or are they ? ) .......Labor Dept can insure that those people get a prevailing wage , if that Dept cares enuff. Certified Payroll Audits are the onliest way..........or are the contractors reaping the harvest ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, redmill said:

with so much " GRANT " monies flying the city`s way surely all the road workers are getting their fair amount of pay AND benefits ( or are they ? ) .......Labor Dept can insure that those people get a prevailing wage , if that Dept cares enuff. Certified Payroll Audits are the onliest way..........or are the contractors reaping the harvest ?

Don't bet on prevailing wages being paid because there is grant money involved 

Crooked is as crooked does. The paperwork is amazing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/26/2022 at 5:27 PM, allboys said:

You still don't get it.  2 different pools of money.  That is the point, beginning and end.  They can't use the grant to fix the roads.  That road is a state road, so the city isn't going to fix it no matter how much anyone whines about it.  It isn't a CHOICE between the embankment and the road.  It might be a choice between the embankment and another area of the town that is not a road.

You don't get my point:  tax dollars are being used.  Mine and yours.  Tax dollars--that is what grant money is. (With the knowledge that SOME grant money isn't tax dollars but made by some rich soul who wants something done their way and offers to pay for it--but I'm sure that's not the case here) You can call it whatever you want, but it is OUR money that someone else took by way of taxes and earmarked it for something special to garner feel good vibes from certain people.  You can look at the pretty packaging all you want, but it doesn't change the contents.  WE are paying for it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, disgruntled said:

You don't get my point:  tax dollars are being used.  Mine and yours.  Tax dollars--that is what grant money is. (With the knowledge that SOME grant money isn't tax dollars but made by some rich soul who wants something done their way and offers to pay for it--but I'm sure that's not the case here) You can call it whatever you want, but it is OUR money that someone else took by way of taxes and earmarked it for something special to garner feel good vibes from certain people.  You can look at the pretty packaging all you want, but it doesn't change the contents.  WE are paying for it.  

Well, some of us are, but that's a different apple cart.  :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/27/2022 at 6:40 PM, redmill said:

with so much " GRANT " monies flying the city`s way surely all the road workers are getting their fair amount of pay AND benefits ( or are they ? ) .......Labor Dept can insure that those people get a prevailing wage , if that Dept cares enuff. Certified Payroll Audits are the onliest way..........or are the contractors reaping the harvest ?

Prevailing wage drive up construction cost for projects by roughly 20%. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

http://www.pabuildingtrades.org/prevailing-wage.aspx

 

The Pennsylvania State Prevailing Wage law requires that all workers on state funded construction projects that exceed $25,000 be paid the State Prevailing Wage.  The Federal Government requires the payment of Prevailing Wages for all Construction Contracts that have federal funding that exceeds $2,000, which includes federal, state and local public works projects. The Federal Davis/Bacon Act was signed into law by President Hebert Hoover in 1931 and amended in 1935 with wage conditions and amended again in 1964 to include the consideration of fringe benefits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, S_A_Hoov said:

http://www.pabuildingtrades.org/prevailing-wage.aspx

 

The Pennsylvania State Prevailing Wage law requires that all workers on state funded construction projects that exceed $25,000 be paid the State Prevailing Wage.  The Federal Government requires the payment of Prevailing Wages for all Construction Contracts that have federal funding that exceeds $2,000, which includes federal, state and local public works projects. The Federal Davis/Bacon Act was signed into law by President Hebert Hoover in 1931 and amended in 1935 with wage conditions and amended again in 1964 to include the consideration of fringe benefits.

Two different jobs funded by grant money.  One I was a boss on and the other I was an equipment operator.

Boss job, I was told that my part of the job was not covered by grant money. None of the work would have been done without grant money.

 

Operator job. Road washed out exposing a gas pipeline during a flood. My company was given the contract to replace the gas line before the road could be repaired. 

I called and questioned the agencies involved.  The first time in my life that I done such a thing.

I was asked to leave at the end of the week and told that I should never contact the company I was working for ever again.  

 

There is always a loophole to deny such things.

I worked for another crooked company that made me by stocks with my extra money paid by the prevailing wage.  It took me over a year to get some of MY MONEY back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, fedup said:

Two different jobs funded by grant money.  One I was a boss on and the other I was an equipment operator.

Boss job, I was told that my part of the job was not covered by grant money. None of the work would have been done without grant money.

 

Operator job. Road washed out exposing a gas pipeline during a flood. My company was given the contract to replace the gas line before the road could be repaired. 

I called and questioned the agencies involved.  The first time in my life that I done such a thing.

I was asked to leave at the end of the week and told that I should never contact the company I was working for ever again.  

 

There is always a loophole to deny such things.

I worked for another crooked company that made me by stocks with my extra money paid by the prevailing wage.  It took me over a year to get some of MY MONEY back.

Yep! Knew a guy that worked for a company that the owner would pay prevailing wage, then take him to the bank to cash his check.  Then the guy would kick back so much to the owner. Said he worked there until he could fined anther job.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's another one for you fed. How about a company paying Prevailing wage and taking out for 401k, but not paying into it.

Happen to a friend of mine. He got his money,  he turn in the company to get it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, S_A_Hoov said:

Yep! Knew a guy that worked for a company that the owner would pay prevailing wage, then take him to the bank to cash his check.  Then the guy would kick back so much to the owner. Said he worked there until he could fined anther job.

I knew a owner just like that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, S_A_Hoov said:

Here's another one for you fed. How about a company paying Prevailing wage and taking out for 401k, but not paying into it.

Happen to a friend of mine. He got his money,  he turn in the company to get it. 

Pretty much what happened to me.  A real piece of work.  He wouldn't repair the A/C's in his machines.  Told us he paid us enough money to suffer.

Being in a dozer or hoe cab without air is amazingly hot. I brought a thermometer and hung it in my cab. 110 degrees plus.

I bet the A/C worked in his 1/4 mil. Motor home.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Petee said:

Anyone know more schemes used to rip off the workers or the government?

Many Chinese immigrants who speak little English are exploited by their employers. Government audits usually  reveal  numerous violations of federal and state wage-and-hour laws. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like the idea of making the hillside safer to maintain.  I've often wondered and gave credit to the volunteers for how hard the work must have been on their feet and legs and near accidents while working there.  It was way too steep.  The only thing I wish is that Penn Dot would widen the turning lane to turn right at the light to go down the Blvd.  There are times when IF turning right you cannot turn once the light is green because the middle lane is too far over in my turning lane because of the oncoming traffic waiting to turn left to the Blvd and are out too far.  I've seen 1st hand many near accidents there and have had many cars to maneuver through when I was heading towards Walmart.  I'm also glad I don't have the responsibility in figuring out the roadways.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We go through several Round Abouts on our way to our daughter's house, and they come in all sizes and shapes.  If anyone had used their brain, one could have been designed for the intersection near the Harley Shop.  Money was available.  How come they didn't use it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, SunnyinPA said:

I like the idea of making the hillside safer to maintain.  I've often wondered and gave credit to the volunteers for how hard the work must have been on their feet and legs and near accidents while working there.  It was way too steep.  The only thing I wish is that Penn Dot would widen the turning lane to turn right at the light to go down the Blvd.  There are times when IF turning right you cannot turn once the light is green because the middle lane is too far over in my turning lane because of the oncoming traffic waiting to turn left to the Blvd and are out too far.  I've seen 1st hand many near accidents there and have had many cars to maneuver through when I was heading towards Walmart.  I'm also glad I don't have the responsibility in figuring out the roadways.

I've never experienced this or have I witnessed what you mention above.  What I have witnessed all across this area is the need for people turning right to swing very wide to their left, into the incoming lane or passing lane.  I cannot understand why drivers in this area do that.  Turning right onto West Long Ave from Main Street is a popular place for this stupidity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Cacao said:

I've never experienced this or have I witnessed what you mention above.  What I have witnessed all across this area is the need for people turning right to swing very wide to their left, into the incoming lane or passing lane.  I cannot understand why drivers in this area do that.  Turning right onto West Long Ave from Main Street is a popular place for this stupidity.

They all act like they are driving an 18 wheeler instead of a car/van/truck/SUV.  

I've never had a problem or seen a problem with right turns at that light or any other either.  I've have seen plenty of idiots that think the middle turning lane is just a lane to drive down and almost cause head on collisions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/2/2022 at 10:20 AM, S_A_Hoov said:

Here's another one for you fed. How about a company paying Prevailing wage and taking out for 401k, but not paying into it.

Happen to a friend of mine. He got his money,  he turn in the company to get it. 

Brockway Pressed Metals. and they never returned the money to the employees.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

DuBois officials: Maple Avenue project resumes; bids wanted for next phase of Liberty embankment

 
Maple Avenue project

The Maple Avenue construction project is in “full swing” again this spring and is scheduled to be completed by late summer.

Elaine Haskins
 

DuBOIS — The Maple Avenue construction project is in “full swing” again this spring and is scheduled to be completed by late summer, City of DuBois Manager John “Herm” Suplizio said at Monday’s council meeting.

“It’s going to be going on from now until probably July, August, September,” said Suplizio. “We’ll probably talk about it at every one of our meetings, but the project is moving along in full swing.”

This phase of the Maple Avenue project will include curbing, storm drainage and digging down the road at least 18 inches, bringing stone back up with proper packing and then repaving.

 

Last summer, the water line from Park Avenue down to the Oklahoma-Salem Road was replaced. The previous water line was well over 100 years old. The first phase of the project was the cutting down of at least 60 rotten trees along Maple Avenue in preparation for work on the new water line.

Residents should expect travel detours and delays along Maple Avenue as the project continues.

Liberty Boulevard project

The city council approved bidding out for the second phase of the Liberty Boulevard project.

In March, the city began the first phase of a rehabilitation project at the top of the embankment at the end of Liberty Boulevard, a focal point in the city.

Still underway, the first phase includes concrete sidewalks, benches and lighting, retaining walls, parking and a waterfall located on the right side of the embankment when seen from Liberty Boulevard, said Suplizio.

To the left of the embankment when seen from Liberty Boulevard, the second phase will not be as extensive as the right side of the embankment.

“This will be probably just a sidewalk, parking lot up top, and probably some miscellaneous trees,” said Suplizio.

Several council members emphasized for the public that there will be trees to replace the ones that were cut down.

New ball field

The council also authorized the city manager to bid out for a new softball field project at the city park around where the football field is located.

“We got a grant for this ... again, explain to everybody a thousand times ... we got the money for the park (to be) used for the park,” said Suplizio. “That’s a later in the year project. This is something that would be done in the fall. We wouldn’t try to tackle anything like that now. So it’d be a late summer, early fall project.”

 

During Suplizio’s recap of the various projects, Mayor Eddie Walsh interjected to tell the council that these items were originally on the agenda for the DuBois/Sandy Township Joint Board meeting held prior to the city council meeting. However, Walsh said, the township manager asked that they be removed from the joint board agenda because it’s “none of their (township) business.” Walsh noted that he believes it’s important that the township hears these updates from the city for the interest of transparency.

Small College World Series

Suplizio announced that the Small College World Series kicks off with the Home Run Derby and Award Ceremony on Sunday, May 15. It is scheduled to run through May 19. More details about the event will be coming, he said.

Also, the Pennsylvania State University Athletic Conference (PSUAC) finals will be played this weekend in DuBois, both softball and baseball, he said.

Suplizio also noted that DuBois will be hosting the PIAA playoff games on Memorial Day.

Condolences

Walsh and council members expressed condolences to the family of Marcie D. Brubaker, 38, DuBois, who died unexpectedly April 29. Brubaker was the daughter of former city Mayor Randy Schmidt and his wife Donna and Anita L. (Wruble) Heffner and her husband Mike.

“The various people that I have been talking with over the past couple of days, again, are just talking about how we’re in shock and what a person that we had here,” said Council Member Diane Bernardo. “And then I read her obituary and I thought, you know, for only 38 years of age, Marcie has accomplished more than a lot of people twice her age. And I don’t think in her vocabulary, you ever would hear the words, ‘I’m too busy to help.’ We are so lucky to have had Marcie, and again, I know her better now and she truly is an inspiration and a reminder to all of us to do much better than we have done.”

 

“The apple didn’t fall far from the tree with Marcie,” said Walsh. He recalled how he would see her approach various local organizations for donations for various projects.

“If she (Brubaker) asked you for money and you gave her $250, she wanted $500, and she always got it,” said Walsh. “Without her, Wasson PTA would not be.”

“She was just a symbol of love, I was thinking about that, again, not knowing her, I felt very strongly what a great symbol of love and a pure light that that young lady was and is,” said Bernardo.

“A tragedy for this whole community,” said Walsh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, spaghettiwasted said:

 

New ball field

The council also authorized the city manager to bid out for a new softball field project at the city park around where the football field is located.

“We got a grant for this ... again, explain to everybody a thousand times ... we got the money for the park (to be) used for the park,” said Suplizio. “That’s a later in the year project. This is something that would be done in the fall. We wouldn’t try to tackle anything like that now. So it’d be a late summer, early fall project.”

 

A new softball field is great.  However, I think that spot would be perfect for an "all-in-one" field.  A turfed field that can play football, soccer, lacrosse, and field hockey.  Those last two sports should become a thing around here, IMO.  Also, I hope this new field doesn't affect parking or the basketball courts.  Parking is already thin and those basketball courts are full most days.  Giving the kids an outdoor activity.

Also, INCREASE THE SIZE OF THE NETTING AT STERN FIELD!!!!  Too many foul balls into Heindl and there will be into this new softball field.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...