GoDuBois.com

photo of '72 DuBois Flood

Pompeii

I have several pics of the flood. The boulevard, PT, Riverside all underwater. they are film pics so I have no idea how to post them.

If you have a scanner, you can scan them and save them to a folder on your computer, then post them from there.

• 1 month later...

I remember this very well as i graduated then. I believe the rain actually started on Friday and just kept coming.  The post at the time was the H and H pizza shop. There was a picture also of a car down by the Big O that all you could see was the antenna sticking out. Shortly after that is when the city decided that maybe they should start a flood project with the Sandy Lick. However still don't believe we could withstand that much rain again in a short period of time.

I went to work at Rola-Jensen at 7 am the day the storm hit and did not get home till the next day sometime, we spent the day and noght moving everything like electric motors from machines and most everything valuable upstairs. the fireman came with a boat to get us out and the boat got hung up on something by the blvd and we had to walk the water was chest deep. I remember being really happy to pass the Hitching post and the tracks.

I was 15 the year of the flood and we always blamed my dad for it because he didn't want to give us money to go to the fair.  :)

Our boy scout troop meet in the church located at the corner of Main and Quarry and we were doing a recycle thing and had a room full of newspaper and glass when the flood was over I can remember going in to try and clean up that mess as I recall that was the end of the recycling for our troop we did something else to fund raise after that.

I used to have pictures but don't know what ever happened to them.

I remember my mom talking about this.  She worked at a place I believe may have been called Larson's downtown and couldn't get to work.

Larson's was down on Long Ave. close to Jared Street in the area where E & G Auto Parts was last before they closed.

I was a paper carrier then in 10th grade and kept the special edition of the paper. I don't know if I have it anymore or if it was still at my Mom's house when she died...maybe Denny can look it up in the archives. ;)

• 3 months later...

Wow!  Love the pictures.  Would love to see more. It's so cool to see how much towns have changed over the years!  ::)  I lived in the Monroeville area during that flood. I was 8 years old.  Don't remember ever hearing about it though. Looking at all those old stores, it's funny (not ha ha funny) how everything looks so different in just 37 years!