GoDuBois.com

dubois pics

sscamaro

• 4 months later...
Guest Tracy96

Helvetia .

Hey, I've been there.  The main part of the building looked the same minus all the glass in the windows...lol  A few holes in the floor too.  It was really cool to walk through the underground part where the old engines are.  It's been years....my teenage years of course.  Used to be some great parties there...hee hee

The powerhouse is still there but in pretty bad shape.  They have been stripping the area again for about two years now but aren't going over to the building.  Were you a member of the "Troutville Militia", whatever that was? That was painted at the top of what remains of the tipple.

powerhouse_1667.jpg

powerhousedam_3027.jpg

troutville_militia_9402.jpg

Guest Tracy96

The powerhouse is still there but in pretty bad shape.  They have been stripping the area again for about two years now but aren't going over to the building.  Were you a member of the "Troutville Militia", whatever that was? That was painted at the top of what remains of the tipple.

Nope.  I would think that would be kids from Troutville.  I was just a visitor every once in a while...LOL

By the way the boys are dressed and their hats, I would say around 1915 give or take a few years. I have a picture of my dad and a lot of other young men dressed about the same as the picture. It was taken in Big Soldier.

My mom was looking at the photos, and in the 9th pic that is my greatgrand parents and the sign behind them says Ralph Reitz & Sons and in the 12th pic That is my greatgrandfather again on the left. Thank you so much for the pics.

• 2 months later...
Guest kyahsdad

that movie with robin williams as a whacko in a photo lab....what does he say..."a picture say's i was there." or something along those lines. for as many pictures as i have taken i am always kicking myself for not having a camera in my younger days!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The Mall sign had to be well after 1972 because I remember driving across the construction area in our Volkswagen with a Fresh Air kid who was clutching our oldest daughter and we were dodging the Earthmovers.  No one guarded a construction area then like they do now.  We didn't have children's car seats then either.