GoDuBois.com

Amish Greenhouse

MIM307

I don't.  I do know that my wife and her sister spend every Saturday morning in May greenhouse hoppin'.  They usually start at 9am and they go to that one.  They like some place called Rainbow and another where 410 and 119 meet.  I'm expecting another $200 worth of plants sitting on the sideway on Saturday afternoon.

Thanks, Cacao.  I'm hoping to get an early start on my greenhouse hopping tonight.  I did find out that the Amish Greenhouse is open until "dark."    Then I'll hit up the Brockway FFA one at the high school on Saturday morning and maybe Kemmer's in Kersey too.  Tis the season!

2 hours ago, Cacao said:

I don't.  I do know that my wife and her sister spend every Saturday morning in May greenhouse hoppin'.  They usually start at 9am and they go to that one.  They like some place called Rainbow and another where 410 and 119 meet.  I'm expecting another $200 worth of plants sitting on the sideway on Saturday afternoon.

I may have to do that this year just hop in the truck and visit different greenhouses to see what they have. I usually just visit a couple. One out in Shanndondale just past Summerville, another out of Brookville off of 36 by Stanton and a few others closer to home.

The Amish Greenhouse here in the DuBois area is Hidden Meadow off of the Oklahoma-Salem Road.  If you get onto that road from the Oklahoma end, just turn left onto the road across from the vet.  You will come to a Y.  Turn right and watch for Woods Road to the left just over the hill.  That is their lane.  Go to the end and they are on the left.  Thier name is Miller and they are a beautiful family!

Valley Rainbow Greenhouse used to be up towards St Marys and I can't think of the little burg it was in, but it closed and was bought by an Amish family down below Sykesville.  It is now Rainbow Greenhouse and is also owned by an Amish family.  If you go through Sykesville and head towards Big Run, watch to the right for a sign.  There is a big sawmill near there also.

2 hours ago, Tiramisu said:

I wish I knew if the one on 310 between Reynoldsville and Punxsutawney was open already or if it’s this Saturday.

I think every greenhouse is working hard to be open before Mother's Day.

2 hours ago, Tiramisu said:

I wish I knew if the one on 310 between Reynoldsville and Punxsutawney was open already or if it’s this Saturday.

See if they have a facebook page. Most do nowadays and they have when they open. Like Petee said most open before mothers day besides then end of the month is when most people plant their veggies so most likely they are for those that like to purchase them early.

There will be plant sales for local Community Service groups also.  They are self-funded so please visit their sales.

BUDS Gardeners   May 27-28-29       DuBois across from Kurt Johnson Auto Sales

Jefferson County Master Gardeners 

1.  Every Saturday of Hazen Flea Market weekends but located at the Jefferson County Conservation District office just outside of the fairgrounds.

2.  Farmers Markets in our area   (Dates to be announced)

3.  Outside of the Fusion Cafe in Brookville   (Dates to be announced)

There will be unusual plants such as Ginger Bowls, Peruvian Daffodils, large Lemongrass plants, potted strawberries for transplanting and much more as the season progresses along with fall seedlings for the late garden.

On 5/5/2022 at 11:41 AM, Petee said:

Valley Rainbow Greenhouse used to be up towards St Marys and I can't think of the little burg it was in, but it closed 

Petee, the Valley Rainbow was in Weedville, part of Bennetts Valley not a burg. 😉

3 hours ago, Petee said:

An Amish greenhouse will not have a Facebook page, however, most of them have a flyer that they will send out to you if you get on their mailing list.

LOL Nope an Amish one wont but I wasnt sure it was an Amish one she mentioned.

4 hours ago, Petee said:

An Amish greenhouse will not have a Facebook page, however, most of them have a flyer that they will send out to you if you get on their mailing list.

Amish have lots of "English" that may offer to host one for them for a fee.  This specific one may not have one, but I would not confidently say "none" of them do.  

5 hours ago, Petee said:

It could, we know Amish folk with facebook accounts