GoDuBois.com

old pictures of dubois area

sscamaro

elkstheaterdubois.....never heard of it, where was it at?

Down the street from the old "Tommy D's" towards Julio's.  

My memory of DuBois (not a resident, but came there once every few weeks with parents for shopping) from the fifties when I was a kid, seem like Raphie's from "A Christmas Story"!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice pictures, I remember the Hootle-bug which we called it, the Reynoldsville-FallsCreek railroad and watching the Pennsylvania railroad big Steam Locomotives heading toward FallsCreek every morning when we were waiting for the schoolbus at the bottom of what is now Stewart Road. I also remember well wadeing butt deep snow on a little kid getting down the hill to the bus. Snow day- never heard of one then.

The Elks also had bowling lanes inside and we used to set the pins back up manually as well as pick up the balls and send them back out to the bowler. Kinda had to be quick on the feet. Some of the guys would really roll fast. Get the pins picked up before you sent the ball back. I believe we were paid .10 per game. Closed the lanes in the mid 60's.

hmmmm, i just dont remember the elks theater......i do the avenue theater, and the one at the pershing.....what was the place up from the high rise that had the 2 lane bowling ally in it?

I believe you're thinking of the Rec Center on Long Ave. ....... But it was an 8 lane bowling alley