GoDuBois.com

How Green Taxi's Electric System Could Save Airlines Thousands Of Jet Fuel Gallons

The company that operates flights at the DuBois Airport will begin to change out their aircrafts to electric.

Southern Airways and Surf Air Mobility Agree to Merge

No immediate changes expected to current Southern operations, but electrification of the Southern fleet to be accelerated.

https://www.aviationpros.com/airlines/press-release/21268397/southern-airways-southern-airways-and-surf-air-mobility-agree-to-merge

Not going to be in any hurry to get on one of those. I'm also not keen on driving across the Arizona desert or touring the Alaskan bush in an electric vehicle. I don't care to be roasted, frozen or fall 30,000 feet because a battery goes dead. I never met a battery that could be trusted. 

7 hours ago, lavender said:

Not going to be in any hurry to get on one of those. I'm also not keen on driving across the Arizona desert or touring the Alaskan bush in an electric vehicle. I don't care to be roasted, frozen or fall 30,000 feet because a battery goes dead. I never met a battery that could be trusted. 

These planes still use jet fuel. They are hybrids.

https://www.aviationtoday.com/2021/07/20/electric-cessna-grand-caravan-development-fly-2024/

• Administrators
9 hours ago, lavender said:

I'm sure there will be numerous battery back-ups in place in case anything happens ... especially on a plane,  just like most airlines have 4 or 2 engines running. 

Hang in there, many changes are coming,

57 minutes ago, Pompeii said:

I'm sure there will be numerous battery back-ups in place in case anything happens ... especially on a plane,  just like most airlines have 4 or 2 engines running. 

Hang in there, many changes are coming,

Hope you are right but I am still remembering that self-driving car that ran under a truck because it couldn't differentiate between the truck and the skyline. For awhile at least I'm sticking with a human driver who has two eyes and two hands even if it has to be me.  Technology in its infancy is like a medical test group. They should pay you to get into those vehicles be they on the ground or airborne. 

I'm wondering about lightening strikes. I did look it up and apparently modern planes are built to direct lightening through the hull of the plane. It keeps the instruments from getting fried.  Is it going to work on a battery operated plane? Do I see all those batteries discharging at once. Pass the parachute. 

2 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

I did see that and it is somewhat reassuring. It is not as though you can pull off the road and call a tow truck if your battery fails. However, it also makes me think that they are not too sure of the technology if they have a built in back-up system. 

OK, I'm playing devil's advocate but it is because deep down I don't really believe that planes can fly. Yes, I know  pressure, lift and all that stuff they teach you in physics class. The 21st century part of my brain says all is good. The caveman part of my brain says no way. He is still not sure how he got from DuBois to San Francisco.