GoDuBois.com

Quite a few pics of my garden. I was bored. Plus we needed a mellow post.

Pappy

Like at my mothers Strawberry plants are doing well but no berries. Now the berry plants I left in the containers have berries on them.

I am waiting for an Amish guy that I know to build me a 4'x8' raised garden bed since my hands do not work so well anymore with my arthritis.

The last picture is of wild strawberries growing around my from rock garden and all along the one side of the house.

The dogs like to eat these as do the chipmunks.

IMG_8619.JPG

IMG_8604.JPG

IMG_8605.JPG

IMG_8629.JPG

IMG_8643.JPG

I believe the first one is cuccumbers, the other side of the trellis is peas, the last pic is the cattle panel trellis I installed. I added a second panel but havent build any side beds for it yet. The other one has live edge lumber for the beds.

IMG_8620.JPG

IMG_8621.JPG

IMG_8633.JPG

The first pic the trellis on the far left has peas, watermelon and cantelope. The middle trellis and far right are all canning tomatoes.

Next pic is celery. They almost died but came back.

The last pic is romaine lettuce on the left and head lettuce on the right. It looks like they are ready to be cut. I may have to give them away. I just wanted to see how well they grew and they took off.

Now this garden was not tilled. I only used my weed eater with a cultivator attached and used 10/10/10 fertilizer and some yellow bag Black Kow manure.

I bought a 3 1/2 cu. ft. cement mixer and mixed black Kow, some peat moss, a little mushroom compost, 10/10/10 fertilizer, some bagged chicken manure and some Perlite.

Also it looks like I need to weed a little bit again. I hate weeds. I can only weed about 15 minutes and then my hands hurt so bad. So next year it is all raised beds hopefully.

IMG_8618.JPG

IMG_8637.JPG

IMG_8638.JPG

The upper garden has pumpkins, some Pizza peppers, Sweet banana's, hot banana's and Cauliflower.

The far left in the back is Rhubarb. There is also a little section with Asparagus and a little basket of strawberries that I didn't get a pic of.

IMG_8625.JPG

IMG_8626.JPG

These are Yukon Gold and Kennebec potatoes planted.

I have some planted in a couple small laundry baskets and also 10 five gallon food grade buckets. Also in a little 6" tall raised garden bed.

I will let you know how the buckets and the baskets turn out. I just put some newspaper around the baskets to keep the dirt in. Now this is paper before it was used for printing. It was left over rolls that the paper sold me a few years back. You can use just regular newspaper that is already printed on it would not hurt.

Determinate potatoes are varieties with tubers that grow in just one layer. For this reason, the plants do not require mounding of the soil around them.

This has not been a good year for me to pant as my hands and feet hurt pretty bad so I could only do a little bit at  a time. so i just got finished planting last week. 15 minutes or so and then a break for a few hours and the about ten more. I paid for it as I went to bed.

IMG_8589.JPG

IMG_8592.JPG

IMG_8622.JPG

IMG_8630.JPG

IMG_8631.JPG

The strawberry eaters. More so the younger one last year.

She is 1 1/2 years old and the Rottie is 12 1/2 years old.

She is a Greater Swiss Mountain dog. Similar to the Burmese Mountain dog but with short hair.

She is as big as the Rottie weighing at around 90 some pounds and she isn't done growing.

Sorry for all the pics Steve. I did resize them down. Somewhere between 80 kb to 180 kb. There may be some just a tad bigger but I don't think so.

IMG_8644.JPG

IMG_8645.JPG

IMG_8646.JPG

• Pappy changed the title to Quite a few pics of my garden. I was bored. Plus we needed a mellow post.
3 minutes ago, alexandria said:

I really enjoyed all your pictures. Growing potatoes in the laundry basket is a great idea. I never thought of that. 
Thank you for sharing! Your yard is lovely. Is that a pool I see? Nothing like a swim on a hot day.

God bless

Yes it is good to take a swim on a hot day. I have only used the pool 3 or 4 times in 20 years. My wife loves it as do my Granddaughter, Grandsons and nieces and nephews when they visit.

The skimmer cracked over winter and we need to get a new one. The one we bought is not the right one and we can't remember the brand and cannot find the manuals we kept. We bought it in Punxy from the Pool Guys but they are no longer in business. So hopefully we can find the right one. well hopefully my wife can I haven't looked.

Yes, newspaper makes a fine mulch. It is especially good with crops that don't like the heat generated by plastic. I killed Brussel sprouts one year by planting them in black plastic. Before Denny Bonavita retired I used to send out mental apologies every time I mulched with his column. Sometimes more reading than mulching went on. 

You have put in a lot of work there !

ol

Success. I tried lettuce before and never had any real success at the head variety. Someone told me they don't get heads they just call all the leaves heads. well I proved them wrong this year.

I decided to try the head variety again and here is the result on about 4 or 5 of them. Some didn't get heads they just grew the leaves out like Romaine.

Next year they will be planted a little further apart if the world is still around then.

IMG_8647.JPG

I've never tried head lettuce . I was just wondering what made it  head up. Out of curiosity I looked it up. It says short days and cool night temperatures. We have had  cool nights. Don't know about short days. I was thinking lots of water. Cabbage heads up really tight after a good rain. 

I'm sure that yours will be tastier than the stuff that passes for head lettuce at the supermarket.