GoDuBois.com

Old Dubois Mansion Pics Anyone?

Guest Tracy96

Guest Tracy96

Does anyone have any pics to post of the old Dubois Mansion?  I seen one once in the Penn State building and it looked beautiful!  Not sure if it's still there.  I wanted to share the pics with my husband and kids for a little history lesson...LOL

Oh my word!  That last photo is amazing.  I had no idea it had a garden like that.  I remember the day they tore it down and my mom being distressed about it.

You would expect Penn State to want to preserve such a historical landmark. They could have built a campus anywhere around that area, such as the land across the street in the 'meadow'...True, the mansion needed some major restoration, but it could have served as a community center of some sort..

Guest Tracy96

Thank you Thank you Thank you!  The one on the bottom is similar to the one I seen at Penn State except the one at Penn State was painted in color.  I think a lot of people don't realize what a beautiful place this used to be.  Too bad none of it was saved.  It's hard to believe that something like this used to sit on top of that hill!

Thank you Thank you Thank you!  The one on the bottom is similar to the one I seen at Penn State except the one at Penn State was painted in color.  I think a lot of people don't realize what a beautiful place this used to be.  Too bad none of it was saved.  It's hard to believe that something like this used to sit on top of that hill!

your very welcome

Posted Image

This is the mansion of John E. DuBois Sr., lumber magnate and founder of the town that bears his name. DuBois' heirs gave the building and four acres of land as a permanent site for the Penn State DuBois campus in 1938. The campus, which began offering classes three years earlier in an elementary school, was one of several undergraduate centers created statewide in the 1930s as part of Penn State's efforts to make higher education more accessible to students who were location-bound by the hardships of the Great Depression. Acquisition of the mansion, which was renovated by the federal Works Progress Administration, allowed enrollment to rise to 150 students. After World War II, the demand for a college education soared, and the mansion was eventually razed to make way for more modern and spacious facilities. The tradition of community support remains strong at DuBois, and the campus--one of 24 Penn State locations statewide--now enrolls nearly 900 students. Learn more about Penn State DuBois at http://www.ds.psu.edu/.

For you landscape aficionados:Penn State (UP) is currently building an immense arboretum out on Park Avenue opposite East Halls and the new Dickinson Law School (in front of the president's residence)..PSU does two things well:They play football and grow trees.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest FarmersDaughter

What a beautiful home!  

It's a terrible shame that they eliminated a piece of DuBois history.

Thanks for posting these pics. I love to see pics of things that are no longer around.    Speaking of mansions, does anyone have any old pictures of the mansion that was out in Sandy Twp.  at the WigWam.  Never saw it but hear stories of it.