GoDuBois.com

Sher De Lin farm

chingirl1

Originally the deer park was on the front corner of the VT Smith Dairy on the corner of Jared and Weber.  Then they went to the city park back near what was called the Bum's Jungle where there was a lot of vandalism and eventually it was ended.

I can't remember their last name but I'm sure someone from the Historical Society would know.  

Yes, the Bum's Jungle was where the old city dump was, and now the DuBois Woman's Club shelter is located.

If what I heard was true, homeless men used to actually live there.  Sadly, the city dump probably offered some pickings and a place where the average citizen would probably not discover them.

Later it was just an unkempt piece of land with scrubby trees and weeds where "kids" liked to hang out and get into trouble.

• 3 weeks later...

I live right up the road from Sher De Lin Game Farm. I grew up beside it. I was pretty young when it closed, but I remember a couple of the times they called my mom to tell her the buffalo had gotten out and to keep us in the house. He would call and let her know when he was back in the fenced area. I loved the monkeys that he had down there. They were my favorite. The peacocks were gorgeous but the monkeys were different.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...