GoDuBois.com

Alot of Du Bois landmarks gone forever...

koolkat65

Check St.Mary's and Brookville the old buildings they have there, they restore their buildings, not us we tear them down.

Thats not always a blessing though, if your house or building is one of Brookville's "historical" buildings it makes it a turd to do anything with it even if you are trying to fix it up.

My family has owned two such houses, including the one I live in now.  Doing anything that takes from the historical appeal is heavily frowned upon with a certified letter and a visit to your front door.

The Pershing Hotel, the old Courier building, the house up by Penn State Campus, the list goes on. But the Du Bois Historical Society has info on alot of old landmarks.  

Dear God.  I'm so old I fought the fire at the Pershing, partied in the old courier, and ran the campus newspaper out of the DuBois Mansion.  My picture is probably somewhere in the historical society!!    ??)

Charleston has a law that if it is over 75 years old it cannot be torn down, cut down (trees), or moved.  I see good and bad to both sides.  It is great for history that these things are still here.  On the other hand if they do not get remodeled they are a really BIG eye sore, fire hazard, good place for drugs, etc.

It really is a shame that historical places are destroyed.  There are too many future-minded, quick-thinking, money-hungry people in the world who can't see the historical significance in things.  Does anyone realize that once it is gone, it cannot be brought back?  I agree that there are places that are in bad shape.  They need a facelift!!  It's so much easier for people to just eliminate history and build for the future.  I hate seeing history destroyed unnecessarily.  

Case in point...renovate Yankee Stadium!!   :)

Who would of come up with the money to make the brewery safe and updated? That is the problem. Everyone wants these places saved, but without at least one million dollars they couldn't of even begun to save the brewery. It was structurally unsafe since the 70's and no one came forward with the cash to save it and no one formed a group to save it. When people say why didn't "THEY" do this or that and why didn't "THEY" save it, who do they think "THEY" is? When we used to complain to our boss about why don't "THEY" do this or that in this town, he would say YOU are they, do something about it instead of nothing. I never forgot that and it really made me realize that WE are THEY.  Sadly, it's all about money.

Who would of come up with the money to make the brewery safe and updated? That is the problem. Everyone wants these places saved, but without at least one million dollars they couldn't of even begun to save the brewery. It was structurally unsafe since the 70's and no one came forward with the cash to save it and no one formed a group to save it. When people say why didn't "THEY" do this or that and why didn't "THEY" save it, who do they think "THEY" is? When we used to complain to our boss about why don't "THEY" do this or that in this town, he would say YOU are they, do something about it instead of nothing. I never forgot that and it really made me realize that WE are THEY.  Sadly, it's all about money.

Somebody had enough money to buy them, tear them down, and rebuild something in their place.   :)

Does anyone know what happened to all the old Brewery memorabilia that Tom Dunlap had in Tommy D's?

Are you old enough to remember the brewery in operation? I know you lived a block away from it as I did  ;)...I have many memories of going down there and watching it in action...unloading grain cars, watching keg filling and hammering in the bungs, the bottling works, and many more memories from there.  :(

Do you remember the old B & O car shops that were located under the Sandy bridge (where Aspin Way is now) along Brady Street?

For those that don't know, at one time there were 2  B & O car shops in DuBois, the one where Rescar is now and this one.

Are you old enough to remember the brewery in operation? I know you lived a block away from it as I did  ;)...I have many memories of going down there and watching it in action...unloading grain cars, watching keg filling and hammering in the bungs, the bottling works, and many more memories from there.  :(

Do you remember the old B & O car shops that were located under the Sandy bridge (where Aspin Way is now) along Brady Street?

For those that don't know, at one time there were 2  B & O car shops in DuBois, the one where Rescar is now and this one.

I remember riding our bikes and watching all the excitement at the Brewey in the 60's.

Guest StacinFL

Oh yeah, I remember it in operation.  I used to cut through there on my bike and would ride up and down the ramps when it was after closing time.  I can still smell that smell.  Ahhhh memories!