GoDuBois.com

Alot of Du Bois landmarks gone forever...

koolkat65

IS THERE ANYTHING LEFT IN DUBOIS THAT IS HISTORICAL.

Oh yeah. Though this area has been rough on many historical buildings, there are still quite a few left. Thank goodness for the few people who have chosen to preserve rather than demolish.

Here are some that remain.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not much longer if something isn't done.

Posted Image

How long has the old High School building been for sale now? The Hoffer sign (I think) looks older than me!

I don't see how anybody could economically afford to renovate that building. I am surprised it's still standing. Imagine just trying to update the heating in that building let alone run A/C through it. And some of you wonder why these old buildings are torn down, it's expensive!

How long has the old High School building been for sale now? The Hoffer sign (I think) looks older than me!

I don't see how anybody could economically afford to renovate that building. I am surprised it's still standing. Imagine just trying to update the heating in that building let alone run A/C through it. And some of you wonder why these old buildings are torn down, it's expensive!

That is the Wilson Building...elementary ...not high school...grades 1 through 8....It was a Sandy Township school, as were one room schools all around the township....some were Oklahoma [2 buildings] Gelnett....Sabula....Wayne road....Adrian Furnace.....West Liberty...did I miss any?.....Some of these buildings are still standing.....Sandy Township High School was up on the hill near where Wasson School is now...DuBois and Sandy merged schools in 1958...

As an Archiitect and Engineer I would hazard a guess that two or three milliion wouldn't begin to touch some  of these that still remain.

Exactly, people are unrealistic wanting everything saved when there is no money available for anything any more. It almost would have to be an independent company or group to raise that kind of money. OR one of DuBois's many millionaires. ha ha The Brewery would have taken multi millions to bring back out of disrepair. The whole foundation of the entire brewery was rotted away.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh yeah. Though this area has been rough on many historical buildings, there are still quite a few left. Thank goodness for the few people who have chosen to preserve rather than demolish.

Here are some that remain.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not much longer if something isn't done.

Posted Image

very nice pix..

• 3 weeks later...

Exactly, people are unrealistic wanting everything saved when there is no money available for anything any more. It almost would have to be an independent company or group to raise that kind of money. OR one of DuBois's many millionaires. ha ha The Brewery would have taken multi millions to bring back out of disrepair. The whole foundation of the entire brewery was rotted away.

There are more millionaires in this town then you think.

You said it!  :clap:

I wholeheartedly agree.  Look at cities in Europe they are centuries older than our own and yet they find no problem keeping them restored and maintained the US destroyed the city of Wurzburg in WWII we took it upon ourselves under the Marshall plan not only to rebuild it but rebuild it exactly as it had been before the war. Surely if we can do that in someone elses country we can do that in our own.

I agree that many times it would cost way too much to repair and fix up these old buildings.  But I am angry that people let them get that way to begin with.  These buildings were a part of our towns history and should be honored for that... the fact that the bewery got to be in such a state is a shame.  Something should have been done a long time ago.  We should learn from those cases and start to preserve the buildings we have now and not let our town look like a ghost town where it seems like no one cares about it!

You have to consider the economic value of preservation. Look at what Brookville has done. The buildings are not only restored but they are again useful and profitable. The state of Pennsylvania offers tax breaks and incentives for people willing to restore a building to a useful state I will have to look up the legislation to state it correctly but I just read an article on it two days ago.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought it would have been neat if some of the doctors in town had bought the old brewery and repurposed it into a hotel/convention center like the Quaker Hilton in Akron, OH. There, they took the old oatmeal factory and did that and it's quite an attraction. The grain silos were converted into round hotel rooms and the rest of the old factory houses restaurants and shops and a huge model railroad layout. We spent a weekend there one time and never left the premises...it was fascinating!

If I remember correctly, the city had an engineer study the brewery for safety in the late 90s. It was considered safe, then.  Does this mean the city had another study done of the brewery later that said the foundation was bad? I don't remember hearing about it.

Yes, DuBois does allow too many slumlords to get away with too much. Code enforcement is not a full-time job for anyone any more. It is poorly attended to. I guess it is a matter of priorities and no one in the right positions must care.

In the group of old postcards posted above, there is a picture of a Presby Church....Where is that?

My husband went to school at the old Wilson building.  He and Mark Hoffer walked thru it a couple of

times trying to think of how to save it.    There are federal and state grants that could help,

but they decided it was just too much to take on themselves.

• 5 weeks later...

Let's not forget the beautiful renovation done on the old DuBois Lumber Offices (former WOWQ Q-102 Radio station) done by the Foradora group. or the countless families in the East Second Avenue/east DuBois Avenue neighborhood above the Blvd. who maintain beautiful victorian houses from that era.  

yes,they r very nice..