GoDuBois.com

Article 1 - Second Series - December 19th, 2022 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Pompeii

• Administrators
One Thing, Jesus Christ
Fr. Ben Daghir Will Post Weekly Articles HERE Every Monday!
Article 1 - Second Series - December 19th, 2022 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Ed Sheeran’s song “Perfect” became an instant success upon its release in 2017. The song has well over 3 billion views on YouTube. I wonder why? Maybe because the song articulates authentic love and we are naturally oriented toward love in the most natural and adventurous way.

In my opinion, the song is quite Catholic at heart. It describes a young man’s joy in finding the love of his life but he soon realizes that she also found him. The song also describes his desire to remain in love with her and his dream of having a family with her.

The first line states “I found a love” which indicates that he isn’t in charge of this love story. He neither invented nor created it. He found something which indicates a greater, mysterious hand is at play. Then he sings “Darling, just dive right in and follow my lead.” There is a reason why we have the phrase “falling in love.” Like diving right in, it implies that we must loosen our firm grip of trying to control everything. Love demands a risk, a diving into the deep, and a letting go of control.

A few lines later, Sheeran sings “Baby, I’m dancing in the dark with you between my arms, barefoot on the grass, listening to our favorite song.” The imagery, which literally could be taken as two people outside dancing on the lawn to a song, could metaphorically mean something much deeper. Love demands an adventure. It demands a willingness to enter into the unknown. It demands that two people become vulnerable. Finally, it demands that both of them listen to a higher voice than their own. Could it be that “dancing in the dark” implies the two lovers being willing to enter together into the unknown of the future? Could it be that “with you between my arms” implies not only a physical embrace but also an embrace of dreams, hopes, fears, anxieties, aspirations, goals, and worldviews? Could it be that “barefoot on the grass” implies a state of vulnerability like that of Moses on holy ground? (Exodus 3:5). Could it be that “listening to our favorite song” implies both of them listening to a higher voice as opposed to just their own voices?

Sheeran also adds “She shares my dreams, I hope that someday I’ll share her home.” Beautiful! The trajectory of authentic love is on display. Their love is built upon friendship. They know one another well. The two lovers share one another's passions, hopes, and dreams long before one another’s home. The foundation of love is always built upon a sturdy friendship.

The song is also fundamentally pro-life. Sheeran sings, “I found a lover, to carry more than just my secrets, to carry love, to carry children of our own.” The singer doesn’t see the woman as a mere object of pleasure but rather as a woman, a friend, a spouse, and a mother. Unfortunately, pro-life has been reduced to mere political language but it’s so much more than that. Pro-life is a fruit of authentic love. In other words, authentic love is naturally oriented toward life, toward the building up of family, of society, of culture, and of the human race.

Sheeran also sings, “When I saw you in that dress, looking so beautiful…I don’t deserve this.” Only now does the singer describe her physical attributes. He has mentioned that she is a stronger woman than anyone he has ever known. He has stated that she shares his dreams, that he desires to share a home with her, a future, and a family. It is obvious that when the singer says “looking so beautiful” he is referring to much more than her physique. In fact, he is referring to her whole being. Then, he humbly admits “I don’t deserve this.” How true it is that the overwhelming reality of one’s vocation leads to “I don’t deserve this.” God’s gifts for us, especially our respective vocations, is overwhelming.

As a Catholic priest, I have officiated at several weddings. It is always a great privilege and honor to be with the groom just minutes before his wedding. Many of these soon-to-be husbands are overwhelmed with the sheer gravity of how blessed, how lucky they are. “I don’t deserve this” is exactly how they feel. Interestingly, young men preparing for the priesthood often experience the gravity of “I don’t deserve this,” the overwhelming reality of God’s love for them.

The words “Baby, I’m dancing in the dark with you between my arms, barefoot on the grass, listening to our favorite song” is a poetic way of describing authentic love. It is adventurous. It demands vulnerability, friendship, and listening to a higher voice. It is also directed toward life in the fullest sense possible.

========================
Fr. Ben Daghir is a priest for the Diocese of Erie. He is a graduate of Elk County Catholic High School in Saint Marys, Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, and St. Mary's Seminary & University in Baltimore, Maryland. He considers writing one of his favorite hobbies.
Fr. Ben Daghir.png