GoDuBois.com

Article 3 - Second Series - January 2nd, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Pompeii

• Administrators
One Thing, Jesus Christ
Fr. Ben Daghir Will Post Weekly Articles HERE Every Monday!
Article 3 - Second Series - January 2nd, 2022 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Editor’s Note: Fr. Ben Daghir wrote this letter to mothers at a parish program on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, December 8th, 2022. 

Dear mothers, 

St. Marys, Pennsylvania, 1997, Walmart: My twin brother, Luke, and I were just five years old. We were with our mother, Roben Daghir, as she was heading into Walmart to get groceries for our family. When my mother, my brother, and I walked through the Walmart front door she let go of our hands and went for a grocery cart. In an instant, Luke and I were gone. We ran off in opposite directions throughout Walmart. 

Our mother started to cry. 

Twenty-five years later, Luke and I recently hugged our mother after spending time with her during Thanksgiving break. Luke let go of her hand and went back to the seminary in Baltimore. I let go of her hand and traveled back to DuBois to celebrate Mass. Funny how things change over time. Funny how she doesn’t have to chase us anymore. 

Motherhood, much like how God works in our lives, must be a marathon approach. It must be a journey, an adventure. It demands patience, I know this for certain - my brother and I are quite good at testing it in our mother. It also demands so much more, every son knows this. 

Abraham Lincoln is credited with the words, “Everything I am or hope to be, I owe to my mother.” Twenty-five years ago when our mother let go of our hands, my brother and I ran into Walmart without a destination. Now, we let go of her hand with a purpose, a mission, a passion, an adventure. These are all words for a vocation which is fostered in the hands of a delicate balance. 

Mothers always balance holding and letting go. My mom knows when to hold my hand and when to let go. My mother has held onto my hand at times when I wanted to let go, and she has let go of my hand at times when I wanted to hold on. 

Like Lincoln, who I am and who I hope to be, I owe to my mother because of her remarkable gift of holding and letting go which has helped me to discover God’s plan. To all mothers, know how important you are to the Church in helping your children discover God’s unique plan for them. 

Fr. Ben Daghir

Diocese of Erie

========================
Fr. Ben Daghir is a priest for the Diocese of Erie. He is a graduate of Elk County Catholic High School in Saint Marys, Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, and St. Mary's Seminary & University in Baltimore, Maryland. He considers writing one of his favorite hobbies.
Fr. Ben Daghir.png