GoDuBois.com

SPECIAL EDITION ARTICLE #2 - January 5th, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Pompeii

• Administrators

One Thing, Jesus Christ
SPECIAL EDITION ARTICLE #2 - January 5th, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Reflecting on 2022 with the Lord
*The goal is for our reflection of 2022 to help guide us into 2023 in a holy, healthy, and humble way. 

*Socrates once stated, “The unexamined life is not worth living.” He’s right - we must reflect. It’s extremely healthy to step back from time to time and reevaluate one’s life. We often refer to this principle as “know thyself.”

*Recommended steps:

1) Ask the Holy Spirit to guide your reflection on the past year.

2) Mark down thoughts that come to mind. Allow every thought to be fair game. 

3( Allow one’s life to be seen on the page before your eyes.

4) Then, consider ways to adjust and grow for 2023 with the help of God’s grace. 

Humanly - grace builds upon nature. Therefore, we first look at our humanity. 

What are my habits? 

Daily routine - what’s my schedule? Am I happy with this schedule?

Nutrition - what am I eating? Should I consider a change in my diet?

Exercise - how do I use the body that God has given me? Do I respect my body?

Social relationships - who are my closest friends? Is the Lord presenting someone in my life that could become a friend?

Hobbies - what gives me energy, excitement in my spare time? Is it time for me to consider a specific hobby? Do I need to consider letting go of a hobby?

What are my dreams and hopes? 

What goals have come to mind for me this year?

Phone usage - honestly, how often am I on my phone? Do I use it for the right purposes?

Computer usage - honestly, how often am I on my computer? Do I use it for the right purposes?

TV usage - honestly, how often do I watch TV? Do I use it for the right purposes?

Sleep - how much sleep do I need? Am I honoring that aspect of my humanity? 

Conflicts - which conflicts occurred in 2022? Have those conflicts been resolved? What can I do about the conflicts that have yet to be resolved? If I am not able to do anything about the conflict, have I accepted this fact?

Stress - what gives me stress? What triggers stress in my life? Do I know these aspects about myself?

Financially - have I been financially prudent? Are there ways in which I can financially improve?

Fears - be specific, what do I fear? Have I talked to the Lord about these fears?

Anxieties - what are my anxieties?

Am I taking breaks in my life? Or, am I just going, going, going? Do I respect my humanity in terms of recovering, taking a deep breath, and rejuvenating?

Health - how is my health? Am I happy with my health? Am I quite frustrated about my health? Am I open to the Lord about my health? Would it be prudent for me to inform my doctor about something concerning my health? Would it be prudent for me to consider a checkup?

Perception of oneself - How do I view myself? Do I speak to myself in such a way that I would speak to others? Or, am I difficult on myself? Am I able to forgive myself? Do I see myself in light of the fact that God created me and has a specific plan for me?

*Anything else that is not mentioned above. 

Spiritually

Prayer schedule - could this be improved for 2023?

Types of prayer - should I consider a different style of prayer?

Am I listening in my prayer life or am I just talking a lot?

Do I spend regular, consistent time with God?

Am I focused on the sacraments? Do I consider my baptism? Do I receive God’s mercy in the sacrament of confession? Do I receive nourishment in the sacrament of the Eucharist?

How am I learning in the spiritual life? Podcasts, books, spiritual director, retreat, Mass, Mass readings, videos, etc.

Am I due to make a pilgrimage somewhere? Maybe this could be international or domestic. Maybe this could be within the state of Pennsylvania. Is it time for me to visit a shrine, a cathedral, or another church?

Which saints in 2022 stuck out to me the most? Should I consider learning more about this saint?

What have I learned during Mass that has been profound this past year? Should I learn more about this?

Meditation - how do I like to pray? Where do I like to pray? Do I pray in the car? While exercising? While cleaning? While sitting in the church pew? 

Is there a certain aspect of the faith that I am being drawn to learn more about? (charity, lives of the saints, the Eucharist, tradition, history, morals and ethics, the Bible, the Virgin Mary, suffering, the virtues, etc.)? How can I learn more about this?

Artwork - does artwork play a role in my spiritual life? Does my home have beautiful, Catholic art? Do I ever pray with artwork? Have I seen the beautiful art of Michelangelo, Caravaggio, Rembrandt and others? Is there a piece of art within my home parish that has jumped out at me this 2022 year?

Lectio divina - do I spend time with Scripture? Do I meditate on the readings for the upcoming Sunday Mass?

Intellectually

What are the ways in which I am learning about Catholicism? (books, podcasts, videos, parish groups, etc.)

Who are the pivotal players that I am learning from? (the saints, EWTN, YouTube channels, parish groups, friends, authors, etc.)

What’s my daily schedule of intellectual learning? Do I take specific time out of my day to learn about any of the following disciplines: theology, philosophy, science, economics, history, politics, fiction, cooking, nonfiction, literature in general, sports, mathematics, gardening, ethics, morals, technology, foreign languages, finances, or many other disciplines not previously mentioned. 

Or, have I lost touch with learning?

Should I consider a different approach to learning? (books, podcasts, join a group, consider a course, etc.)

Is there a specific topic that used to intrigue me and give me life but I have since lost touch with this? Should I consider returning to it in 2023?

Pastorally (this word could be interpreted as relationships with others, family, community, work, Church, nation, world)

What parish activities am I involved in? Is there something I should consider joining? Is there something I should consider not doing anymore?

Is there something not offered by the parishes that I should consider presenting to the parish?

What is my community involvement? Am I part of any non-profit organizations? 

Did I stop doing certain community things as a result of Covid-19 and maybe I should consider returning to these things that I once took part in before the pandemic?

How is my relationship with my immediate family? 

Is there a specific person I should consider contacting? Would a phone call, a letter, or a visit be a good idea?

How is my relationship with my extended family? Is there a cousin, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, etc. that could use a phone call, a letter, or a visit? Would catching up with a coffee be a good idea? Was there a family situation that took place in 2022 which would be worth reflecting upon? What does this experience tell me? 

Is there a friend that I’ve lost touch with? Am I called to reach out to this friend in 2023? 

What are my thoughts on the United States of America? Are there ways in which I could improve as a citizen? Am I well informed politically, historically, etc.? Am I learning about this country through the correct outlets or do I need to reevaluate how I am being educated about national news? 

Do I respect the environment? Am I wasteful in any way? Could I make a few adjustments to benefit the world? Could I be more prudent with the use of my resources?

Most importantly:
Am I allowing God to work through me? 

Am I able to take my hands off of the wheel of life and allow for God to be in the driver’s seat?

Do I know that I am called to be a saint?

I conclude with words from Cardinal St. John Henry Newman:

“God has created me to do Him some definite service. He has committed some work to me which He has not committed to another. I have my mission.”

May 2023 be a year in which we live out this mission with a renewed focus. 

Fr. Ben Daghir

========================
Fr. Ben Daghir is a priest for the Diocese of Erie. He is a graduate of Elk County Catholic High School in Saint Marys, Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, and St. Mary's Seminary & University in Baltimore, Maryland. He considers writing one of his favorite hobbies.

Fr. Ben Daghir.png