GoDuBois.com

Article 5 - Second Series - January 16th, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Pompeii

• Administrators

One Thing, Jesus Christ.
Fr. Ben Daghir Will Post Weekly Articles HERE Every Monday!
Article 5 - Second Series - January 16th, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

What do Thomas Jefferson, Blaise Pascal, Ernest Hemingway and the Virgin Mary have in common? I find this question to be an interesting way to begin an article. 

Thomas Jefferson once stated “the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do.” Blaise Pascal once wrote, “I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time.” Ernest Hemingway was once asked, “What makes good writing?” He responded, “why use two words when one will do?” There is something to be said about brevity, being concise, and flat out getting to the point. It takes a remarkable intellect to be short and sweet. 

We desire brevity when we are reading an article, an essay, or a book. We desire for a speaker to be concise, especially during a homily or a speech. I remember saying to myself many times while growing up and sitting in the Church pews, “Get to the point.” I remember often saying to myself as a student while listening to the professor’s lecture, “Get to the point.” Of course, I often say to myself while preparing a homily or writing an article (like this one) - “Get to the point!”

Now, the Virgin Mary is an example, par excellence, of being concise. Her words are brief, yet profound throughout the Gospels. This is because she is brilliant, holy, and concise. We see this in her encounter with the angel Gabriel who says to her, “Do not be afraid Mary, you have found favor with God. You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus” (Luke 1:30-31). Mary ponders what this means, questions, and then responds, “Let it be done to me according to your will” (Luke 1:38). Her one-sentence response speaks volumes about sainthood. 

We see her remarkable brevity during the Wedding Feast at Cana. John tells us, “When the wine ran short, the mother of Jesus said to him [Jesus], ‘they have no wine’” (John 2:3). Mary then informs the servers to “do whatever he tells you” (John 2:5). She states one line which captures every spiritual insight of the saints. “Do whatever he tells you” gets to the point and the heart of the Christian life. 

Thomas Jefferson, Blaise Pascal, and Ernest Hemingway understood the power of brevity. Their words remind us of what makes good communication, whether it be spoken or written. These figures also remind us of the brilliance of the Virgin Mary who treasured and pondered God’s word deep within her heart. Then, she spoke with brevity as a masterful communicator.

========================
Fr. Ben Daghir is a priest for the Diocese of Erie. He is a graduate of Elk County Catholic High School in Saint Marys, Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, and St. Mary's Seminary & University in Baltimore, Maryland. He considers writing one of his favorite hobbies.

Fr. Ben Daghir.png

While Mary does not say a lot and tends to be brief if we look at her overall she shows great faith in Jesus, I mean she is front of everyone pretty much  telling them Jesus will provide the wine,  She is putting blind faith in him and had he failed she would have been left looking very bad.  At the same time she was kinda showing him off and starting really the beginning of his ministry.