GoDuBois.com

Biden wants $60,000 minimum teacher salaries(Tax increases)

jaman

Yes, this is another case of moving to get higher paying jobs.  No one wants their kid to have to move away to make more money, but for experience, getting a foothold financially, building assets, it's good.  Give everyone the same salary and there would be no one in the city schools and more populated areas.  More teachers would remain in the same comfortable areas and kids would be a by-product of the system instead of the harvest.

The salary has to be in line with the job, not guaranteed regardless of the job.

1 hour ago, Petee said:

Yes, this is another case of moving to get higher paying jobs.  No one wants their kid to have to move away to make more money, but for experience, getting a foothold financially, building assets, it's good.  Give everyone the same salary and there would be no one in the city schools and more populated areas.  More teachers would remain in the same comfortable areas and kids would be a by-product of the system instead of the harvest.

The salary has to be in line with the job, not guaranteed regardless of the job.

So you're saying teachers in this area are not worth as much as teachers elsewhere?

19 minutes ago, L8RG8R said:

So you're saying teachers in this area are not worth as much as teachers elsewhere?

Man I'm gonna hang for this... but yes teachers that work in DuBois should not be paid the same as teachers that work in center city Philly.   If I have to explain cost of living, hazard pay, and everything else you probably wont be convinced anyway.

3 hours ago, S_A_Hoov said:

jaman I have 1. Teaches High School. My son has a masters and makes 100,000 a year, and he's not at the top of the scale, has a couple of steps to go before he peaks out. That's why he stays in CA. 

I have a child hood friend who does that North of Santa Barbara. (Same wage as your son) He hates CA.  But in 6 years and retires,  he knows wherever he goes, his pension goes with him.  Teaching pensions are very good and mostly protected.  PLus the more you make in your last 5 years, your SS distribution goes up. So he stuck it out not moving back.

7 hours ago, L8RG8R said:

That is absolutely not what I said.  There are a lot of things that go into a teacher's salary.  Like everyone else, they all start at the bottom and work their way up.  If they are more qualified, have to work harder in dangerous areas, have or do not have special skills, etc. it affects their salary.

Eight factors that affect your teacher salary
  • Your education level. ...
  • Years of experience. ...
  • Location of your School. ...
  • Elementary vs. ...
  • Public vs. ...
  • Teaching students with disabilities. ...
  • Becoming a coach. ...
  • Teachers' unions.

5 hours ago, fedup said:

And once again the liberal voted for government is telling people what they are worth. This sucks as much as the mandatory minimum wage deal for flipping burgers.   

They asked to raise FEDERAL minimum wage. Dont have to. Burger flippers minimum here is $12-15 to begin. Still cant find enough people

1 hour ago, DS58 said:

That is the American way

Again, to get that dog walker wage, look at the teachers salary factors. A lot of them apply also here.  Try doing that here in DuBois.

Face it, we live in the COUNTRY, not in a city where there are umpteen people piled on top of each other and their only escape is to have fancier houses and more luxuries.  It's miserable living, the cost of living is much higher, and they need more to keep them living there.  Give them the same living conditions as here and they would require less.  In addition, a lower tax base means that fewer people are paying into the system and therefore the wages will probably be lower.

Want to raise teacher's salaries?  Then volunteer to pay higher taxes.

Peete

38 minutes ago, Petee said:

If only it was voluntary !!!   They TAKE what they want and leave the rest.   I still feel that taxes and therefore freebies would go way down if people had to actually write a check at the end of each month for School taxes, social security, medicare, county and local taxes and everything on the list of your pay stub.  Its too easy to dismiss when your employer takes it out and you never see it.

57 minutes ago, Petee said:

Again, to get that dog walker wage, look at the teachers salary factors. A lot of them apply also here.  Try doing that here in DuBois.

Face it, we live in the COUNTRY, not in a city where there are umpteen people piled on top of each other and their only escape is to have fancier houses and more luxuries.  It's miserable living, the cost of living is much higher, and they need more to keep them living there.  Give them the same living conditions as here and they would require less.  In addition, a lower tax base means that fewer people are paying into the system and therefore the wages will probably be lower.

I’m not a teacher but I feel all of them, including in this area deserve to be paid and respected more. People talk about teachers in this area like they’re second class citizens. If you consider the price of daycare in our area ($25 a day on the low end) and on average teachers have 20 students per class, then the starting teacher salary should be approximately $90k per year. Do the math. Not to mention, every teacher has a minimum of a bachelors degree. Most daycares do not require a degree to watch children. So be happy the school taxes are as low as they are right now. 

35 minutes ago, Lizard said:

I agree that we need teachers but if you knew the wage when you went to college and still went, how can one complain. If I didn’t like the wage I’m be paid I would seek other employment. I know this post won’t be popular with some but some are never happy. 

Who said the teachers were the ones complaining?  

6 hours ago, L8RG8R said:

I’m not a teacher but I feel all of them, including in this area deserve to be paid and respected more. People talk about teachers in this area like they’re second class citizens. If you consider the price of daycare in our area ($25 a day on the low end) and on average teachers have 20 students per class, then the starting teacher salary should be approximately $90k per year. Do the math. Not to mention, every teacher has a minimum of a bachelors degree. Most daycares do not require a degree to watch children. So be happy the school taxes are as low as they are right now. 

I agree on the Day Care, but this is a problem for all parents who work and have children.  Daycare is terribly expensive.  I've always felt that each large business should be required to provide a Day Care center right in their building. Then adjust wages to cover the child care costs.  My husband and I worked and slept different shifts because we had 4 children in 5 1/2 years, so there was no way we could take the kids anywhere.  Hubby had up to 4 jobs at the same time and how he slept was...very little!  Wherever my kids were clustered and playing, that's where I would sleep, right in the middle of them.  Gates everywhere, elder children keeping an eye on the smaller kids.

I think there is a serious communication problem between the teachers and the parents, but how to solve it?  There is a difficulty when two caregivers are dealing with opposite sides of any kid.  One stressed parent wants everything for their kid, and the other wants an easier time doing their job.  It isn't easy!  It takes a dedicated person to be a teacher, and they're not all dedicated!  It takes an open minded and fair parent to deal with a kid in school, and some of them consider the school to be a babysitter, counselor and problem child solver.  The kids are the most needy in the equation.

17 hours ago, L8RG8R said:

Are you prepared to pay out then?   It’s your wallet where the money will come from.  The cost of everything would rise as well to keep in line.  It’s basic economics.  Look at the costs now due in part to jobs like McDonald’s entry level jobs starting at 12 an hour.  In the end the the raise was pointless.  Most jobs now start at 10 plus an hour.  The average household is paying 7-8 thousand dollars more a year than we did a couple years ago.  You can’t keep jacking up wages without this effect. 

2 hours ago, fedup said:

I believe the school system is more of a problem than teachers wages.  3 months off. Every weekend off, Every holiday off and then get paid $333.00 a day according to Brain Dead. 

To be fair, yes, that is part of the problem.  Teacher's Unions demand that the teacher contract include payment through the summer as well, when they're not working. I say, if they want that money all summer, then they should be doing something such as dealing with kids who did not make it through the winter term, ALL SUMMER!  Most kids don't have summer work such as farms do, and they're not needed at a job.  

Teachers should be paid according to their skills AND accomplishments with their students.  If they just do a fair job during the school year, then they get basic pay which is 12 payments a year.  Those teachers can teach all year to help kids who did not achieve during the regular school year.  I think kids would also try harder in order to have their summer off.  

Teachers who excel at guiding their class to top achievements could have the summer off as an incentive.  Summers off should be a reward, not a right.

4 hours ago, pennstater said:

Are you prepared to pay out then?   It’s your wallet where the money will come from.  The cost of everything would rise as well to keep in line.  It’s basic economics.  Look at the costs now due in part to jobs like McDonald’s entry level jobs starting at 12 an hour.  In the end the the raise was pointless.  Most jobs now start at 10 plus an hour.  The average household is paying 7-8 thousand dollars more a year than we did a couple years ago.  You can’t keep jacking up wages without this effect. 

Yes, I am willing and prepared for it. We have worked hard and have been smart with our income. 

2 hours ago, Petee said:

To be fair, yes, that is part of the problem.  Teacher's Unions demand that the teacher contract include payment through the summer as well, when they're not working. I say, if they want that money all summer, then they should be doing something such as dealing with kids who did not make it through the winter term, ALL SUMMER!  Most kids don't have summer work such as farms do, and they're not needed at a job.  

Teachers should be paid according to their skills AND accomplishments with their students.  If they just do a fair job during the school year, then they get basic pay which is 12 payments a year.  Those teachers can teach all year to help kids who did not achieve during the regular school year.  I think kids would also try harder in order to have their summer off.  

Teachers who excel at guiding their class to top achievements could have the summer off as an incentive.  Summers off should be a reward, not a right.

Teachers do not get paid for the summer. They only get paid for days they work and the paychecks are spread out over 26 pays.