GoDuBois.com

Nicole Diane Shaffer (age 40)

Pompeii

• Administrators

Shaffer, Nicole.jpgNicole Shaffer 1.jpgNicole Shaffer 2.jpgNicole Shaffer 4.jpgNicole Shaffer 3.jpgNicole Shaffer 5.jpgNicole Shaffer 6.jpg

Nicole Diane Shaffer, Age 40 of DuBois, PA died Thursday, January 26, 2023 at her home.

Born on December 25, 1982 in DuBois, PA, she was the daughter of Barry A. Shaffer and Brenda J. (Kear) Mangus.  Her parents survive and live in DuBois, PA.

Nikki was a daughter, sister, wife and mother. Her mother Brenda was her best friend, her confidant. They spent countless hours together. There was comfort, support, and laughter in those hours that meant the world to Nikki. She told her mother she was so very proud and blessed to have had her as a mother.

Her dad Barry, Brenda and her stepmother Amy will always remember their daughter’s brilliant blue eyes that sparkled, her smile that lit up the room, and her contagious laughter that was like a song from her heart, as will her husband, children, and all that have known her. 

Nikki battled severe chronic pain for many, many years. The last three years continued to get immensely worse. She went to many doctors over the years, hoping that there would be a solution or that she could receive something to help with the abhorrent pain that plagued her body for so many years. Nikki pushed and fought for all those years to do her best to live a normal life for her husband, children, and mom. She gave all of herself to her family, sacrificing her own comfort so others could enjoy the life she could not have herself due to her health complications. “I was blessed to have such a beautiful, caring person as my wife. She will forever be in my heart. I will love her forever and always,” her husband David said.

Nikki was so proud of the husband, son and man her first born Gavin had become. She told him that he made her realize as a young mother how strong she was. Nikki was proud of her twin child Sage for being who they truly are, full of love and compassion for others. “Keep fighting for everything you believe in and stand for. You’ll do amazing things in your life, you’ve got it in you. You went from my 4lb 4oz preemie to an amazing adult and human being. I’m sorry I won’t be here physically to watch you grow and change, but I will still be watching over you,” Nikki wrote in one of many letters to her loved ones. Nikki was proud of the amazing young woman her other twin daughter Skyla had become. “Keep being a sweet, kind, caring girl and keep that big heart of yours full of love. I love you, my sweet, beautiful, blonde-haired, blue-eyed beauty.”

“I love you more than anything in this world. I tried to stay but can’t take this pain anymore. I’m tired. It has beaten me. I am sorry for how this will affect all of you, my intent isn’t to hurt others. I just want to be pain free. Please never forget how much I love all of you. I am sorry, really sorry. This is not the fault of any of you. I will see you all again someday. Love you, forever and always,” she closed off.

Nikki was not selfish in her decision, she fought as hard and as long as she could through her pain that not only ravaged her body physically, but also broke her mind and spirit. She researched endlessly for answers. She did everything she could to advocate not only for herself but many others who suffered daily like her. Due to the Opioid Epidemic, there was no door that opened that would let her get the relief she so desperately wanted and deserved. After years of struggling, living with her chronic pain, and losing hope that someone would ever take her pain seriously enough to fight alongside her for a solution, her body and soul were broken beyond repair, resulting in her decision to end her life, to end the suffering.

She could no longer fight her chronic pain without the medication needed to help ease it so she could continue being the amazing daughter, wife, and mother she so loved being. So, I ask you, where are the advocates for those who cannot go on another minute due to their excruciating pain and the doctors that will take them seriously?

She is survived by her husband of 23 years, David Lingenfelter, Jr.; a son, Gavin Lingenfelter & his wife Haley of Glen Campbell, PA; twin daughters, Skyla & Sage Lingenfelter of DuBois, PA; a brother , Chad Shaffer & his wife Julie of State College, PA; a sister, Kasey Reed & her husband Ray of DuBois, PA; a step mother, Amy S. Shaffer of DuBois, PA; and step brothers, Chad Vroble of Punxsutawney, PA, and Lee Vroble & his wife Vanessa of DuBois, PA.

She was preceded in death by her paternal grandparents, Harry & Audrey Shaffer, and maternal grandparents, Yvonne & Burt Kear.

There will be no public visitation and all services are private.

Although flowers are appreciated, memorial contributions can be made to the family.

The Baronick Funeral Home & Crematorium, Inc. is in charge of arrangements.

Online condolences can be made to http://baronickfuneralhome.com/condolence