GoDuBois.com

SPECIAL EDITION ARTICLE #6 - February 17th, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Pompeii

• Administrators

One Thing, Jesus Christ.
Fr. Ben Daghir Will Post Weekly Articles HERE!
SPECIAL EDITION ARTICLE #6 - February 17th, 2023 by Fr. Ben Daghir

Editor’s Note: Last year, Fr. Ben Daghir had the opportunity to play in a basketball tournament in his final year of seminary. The tournament was played in Columbus, Ohio at the Pontifical College Josephinum Seminary in February 2022. This article is a reflection of that seminary basketball tournament.  >> SEE 4 PHOTOS ATTACHED

Article: 
I never expected to get dunked on in a seminary basketball tournament, but it happened. 

My friends and I were an athletic group of guys from St. Mary’s Seminary & University in Baltimore, Maryland. We enjoyed playing sports, exercising, etc. throughout the year. We were quite excited to hear that there would be a chance to play in a seminary basketball tournament in Columbus, Ohio in the month of February. Our seminary had never played in the tournament before. 

It gave us something to look forward to as a group, especially in the wintery month of February. And, keep in mind, we had been through some tough seminary stretches as a result of Covid-19. The pandemic had really made opportunities for “fun” quite difficult. For example, many of us loved going on a mission trip to San Lucas, Guatemala each winter. We would visit the site of Blessed Stanley Rother, an American priest and martyr. We would also serve the people in the villages of Guatemala. Many of us enjoyed a soccer tournament with other seminarians on the east coast. Many of us also played pickup basketball at Loyola University’s athletic complex. Covid-19 ripped these types of opportunities right out from under our feet. 

As a result, we were due for something different, unique, and fun. Our seminary rector understood this and supported our trip to the basketball tournament in February of 2022. Even better, we missed Friday classes due to a 7-hour ride from Baltimore to Columbus, Ohio. 

The night before we left for Columbus, we watched the movie Hoosiers, ate pizza and wings, and kicked back with a beer. It is extremely important for priests to be the type of person who can sit back, relax, and talk about anything. It’s these types of moments in seminary which are crucial for the formation of a sound human being. St. John Paul II, in his document on priestly formation entitled Pastores Dabo Vobis, emphasized that a priest’s personality should be molded in such a way “that it becomes a bridge and not an obstacle for others in their meeting with Jesus Christ” (Pastores Dabo Vobis, 43). 

There were eight seminaries represented in this basketball tournament. Seminarians came from Texas, Pittsburgh, South Carolina, Latrobe, Maryland, Columbus, and a few other places that currently escape my mind. It was very fun and motivating to meet seminarians from across the country. While other teams were playing on the court, we would talk with other seminarians about life, sports, school, our dioceses, our families, and even our vocation stories. We also prayed together, participated in Mass together, and ate meals with one another. 

Clearly, God is calling young men to be priests. It’s too easy to look out at our backyard, whether it be the Diocese of Erie or any diocese for that matter, and lose hope concerning priestly vocations. Quite the contrary, God is calling young men. He has not stopped calling. This tournament reminded me of this fact in a powerful way. 

There were respectful, confident, talented, and athletic young men from across the country at this tournament. Many of these basketball players were athletes in high school while others were talented in academics or had roles in their high school musicals. Several of these seminarians had played college sports before entering the seminary. Others entered the military or the workforce before playing defense for a seminary in a basketball tournament. 

Our starting five on our St. Mary’s Seminary & University team were a unique crew. One was a talented surfer, lacrosse player, and salesman out of Annapolis. Another had been a computer engineer and an excellent post-player out of Syracuse. The third was an athletic, tech-savvy, and musically gifted DJ out of State College. And, the final two (my twin brother and I) had been teachers in Northern Pennsylvania representing the Diocese of Erie.

Again, God calls young men from a variety of backgrounds, gifts, and talents. It’s that simple and beautiful. 

Take a look at the pictures from this basketball tournament. I encourage you not to primarily see basketball players but rather men discerning the call to be priests. In fact, if you happen to be a young man - could you see yourself out there enjoying the opportunity?

I know that I did. God is good, that’s for sure. 

========================

Fr. Ben Daghir is a priest for the Diocese of Erie. He is a graduate of Elk County Catholic High School in Saint Marys, Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, and St. Mary's Seminary & University in Baltimore, Maryland. He considers writing one of his favorite hobbies.

photo a.jpg

photo b.jpg

photo c.jpg

photo d.jpg