GoDuBois.com

Cutting the cord!

frog

Getting ready to ditch Comcast cable and probably internet.   Currently pay over $300. I was just wondering what some recommendations might be for an internet service for streaming purposes and Wi-Fi for the Luthersburg-Rockton area.

1 hour ago, frog said:

Getting ready to ditch Comcast cable and probably internet.   Currently pay over $300. I was just wondering what some recommendations might be for an internet service for streaming purposes and Wi-Fi for the Luthersburg-Rockton area.

I finally dropped everything Verizon and went with Starlink.  You have to set up the hardware that they send you yourself, which was a problem for us because we had no one to tell us what to do or how.  However, now that we know, we would be happy to answer any questions that you would have.

The Hardware package and registration is a total of $500 which is usually hidden in your internet payments over time.  The internet package covers your TV, computer and anything else you run with WiFi.  There has never even been a blip and the speed is incredible!  The monthly payment is $110 for everything and we decided to just go with Netflix which was $20 for us because I opted for the multiple users package.

My computer finally works FAST.  There is more than anyone could ever want to watch on Netflix.

We save over $200 a month over all.

We ditched the cable end but kept the comcast internet.  We pay $115 but it's very fast and runs a lot of devices at once.  We have 4 of us here running t.v.'s, laptops, gaming and watching streaming at once with no slow downs in speed. 

We paid the $300 cable bill for years and hated it and finally did away with it last fall due to no one watching it enough.  I could not argue the speed of comcast internet though, so we just kept it with a speed package good enough to handle all of our devices and still save a lot of money. 

On 3/18/2023 at 7:46 PM, frog said:

For internet, you have your choice of local cable tv, local telephone company, what cellular services that have good signal at your house, and satellite.

Cable tv tends to have the fastest internet.  Depending on if you're in Verizon or Windsteam turf, you'll have ADSL or VDSL available, respectively, if within certain distances from phone office or remote switch.  Windstreams VDSL is faster than ADSL - both get slower the further away from source you get.  I do know that Windstream is slowly building fiber to the home for internet throughout their exchanges - but that takes awhile to get to rural areas.   They have to build the in-town areas first to help fund the rural builds.   I pay a little less than $100 with taxes for a 1Gbps up & down service in Brookville.

Cellular internet is more expensive than cable tv or phone DSL, per speeds given.  And some have data limits - which streaming can eat real fast.

Satellite tends to be the most expensive, and most have severe data limits.

In addition to above, streaming services will eat a lot of data.   The more you watch, and the more people watching other tv's - the more you will use.

We're well over 1Gb of data a day.   Some days between 5Gb and 15Gb per day between the old lady that streams 24/7 due to being in bed all day(disabilities), myself on internet from 7/8AM til bedtime + tv from quitting time until bedtime.   ...And the kid, who actually does little streaming or internet via computer but does WIFI data and does a lot on his cellphone.

Data capped or throttled services should be avoided if you have a family.

When I had cut the cord here in Brookville about 4 years ago I had Comcast that cost me $250 per month(internet/phone/tv).   Windstream's fiber was a year out, so I got their bonded (2)x25Mbps VDSL = 50Mbps, but about 37Mbps at my distance from the phone office (about 1 mile away).  That was about $50 per month.

With current arrangement of fiber I pay just less than $100 for internet alone.   Then I have (5) paid subscriptions to streaming services that is still under $100 a month combined - I'm guessing about $60 per month for them all??   Paramount+(w/Showtime), Peacock, HBOMax, Starz, and Disney+(w/Hulu and ESPN+).   The old lady pays $140 per year for Amazon Prime that has free shipping and you can stream programming of theirs.  (she buys a lot from Amazon)

There are a bunch of free streaming services, but they are practically all old programming from broadcast tv.

There are some "like-cable" streaming companies like YouTubeTV, AT&T's Dish, etc. ...which you get similar channels as cable tv for similar prices as cable tv.