GoDuBois.com

Pet allergy question

Guest WicklessWitch

Guest WicklessWitch

I have a 13 year old Beagle that is allergic to EVERYTHING!!  She has had 3 vets in her life time and they all have basically one solution and that is antibiotic and steroids. She eats only the food that vet has told me to get and gets NO, NONE, NOTHING, NADDA people food. She chews the heck out of her paws and if I put anything on her paws she just licks it off. I've tried to put hydrocortisone on her paws and then put baby socks on her but, she just pulls the baby socks off and then licks her paws. I try to do that at night and then put her in bed with me so she wont pull the socks off but, she just waits til I go to sleep and then pulls the socks off anyway.

Does anyone have any suggestions besides another dose of steroids? Maybe someone on here can suggest a product they use or some kind of home remedy?

Thanks in advance for any help.

post-5556-0-95069200-1388710191_thumb.jpg

have you had her tested for lymes? We always knows when wiener dog is having a flare up cause she licks the heck out of her paws. We give her a baby asprin and if that don't help then she gets an ultram.

I cannot copy and paste it. I tried several times. Go to the site benadrylfordogs.com. Go to the dosing info. If you cannot find it PM me and I will tell you. Dosage depends on weight. Also, please consider looking into another food. I speak from experience. The vets told me to use the one meat/one grain food.  Did not work. After a year of struggling with what the vets told me to do I took matters into my hands. Dogs have a hard time dealing with the GMOs. the GMO molecular structure cannot be tolerated by dogs or humans. This is why we are see ing such a high incidence of Celiac, IBS, Colitis etc.The ONLY food my little guy can eat is Orijen. Kathy at DuBois Feeds has it. If she is out of it she can order it. It can also be ordered on Amazon. Finally, make sure your pooch gets a bath with a very good moisturizing shampoo every two weeks, Sooner and it is too much, longer and they start to scratch again. Also, do not hesitate to do a round of Prednisone before you start this new therapy cocktail. Pred will stop the flare and get your pooch back to his baseline. About twice a year my little guy has a flare and Pred needs to given to get it stopped. Anymore questions PM me. I know this will work. I have been there. My guy use to scratch, itch, lick so much when he dootied long strands of hair came out too. Once, he even had hair wrapped around his teeth like a retainer....all from licking too much. Today he is fine. He is not red. He does not scratch. He does not lick. He is a happy boy.

Guest WicklessWitch

I have tried the bitter apple stuff. She still licks it off and she has been tested for lymes. I do bath her quit often because that does help her. I give her Benadryl but, maybe I'm not giving her the right dose so I will check out that site today. The food the vet told me to get is sweet potato and fish formula that I can only get at Petco. I'm off Wednesday and Thursday so I will call or stop in at DuBois Feed to check out that dog food.

Thanks for the tips. I will keep you all posted. Let me know of any other ideas :)

I started giving our dog coconut oil after I read this article, he gets yeast infections and has allergies too, I am trying to find something so he does not have to be on steroids, antiobiotics all the time too.  I have only been doing giving him a tsp  a day for a week or two now, and he is a big puppy m(100# 2yrs old) so not sure if he is actually getting enough, I haven't tried  rubbing it into his skin yet, cause his "hot" spots (red, itchy) he never lets us get near.  I have noticed he is not scratching as much the last day or so.   But maybe you can try this.

With more and more Americans appreciating the fantastic flavor and health benefits of coconut oil

I use the Benadryl tablets so I can break them in half. The dose for my pooch is 1/2 which is 12.5mg twice a day. He can take it every 8 hours if really necessary. It does tend to make him sleepy and I like to play so if he does not need that extra dose I do not give it. Heck, I want him to chase me when I have a sock in my mouth. lol

• 2 weeks later...
Guest WicklessWitch

Update: Got some meds from the vet yesterday. Just got to get her back to normal and then will look more in to maintaining using a different strategy. It seems every few years I have to change things up a bit in order to keep her maintained.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.