GoDuBois.com

dog health question

Gilb3314

I have a cockapoo, that i got a few months ago, Very Active and healthy. Today we went for a daily walk, (well, not on those cold cold days) and he seemed fine all day. now he is shivering and lying down, I covered him up and he seems to be sleeping, but still shivering. Do dogs get sick like people? Like maybe he has a fever and shivering, but doesn't seem hot to the touch. Can animals take tylenol? I don't want to give him anything that will hurt him, but maybe a little childrens tylenol would make him feel better? Ive had dogs before but dont remember them actually seeming sick. I knew something was wrong when he wasn't following me all around. TIA

Something told me not to give him tylenol, He's been in since our walk and didn't eat anything that he shouldn't have that I know of,. I'll call a vet tomorrow morning if he isn't any better, doesn't seem to be shivering now. I don't really have a vet, I had him neuteredd in Clfd at the spay neuter clinic.

Canines do not get the flu. Besides the flu is not contracted by "walking in the cold" anyway. If a dog has flu like symptoms there is something wrong. Could be heart related and the cold aggravated the condition. Could be a number of things. Bottom line is the dog needs to seen by a vet. Now, if the pooch is OK by tomorrow I would still talk to the vet. Remember dogs are lower to the ground and get the cold from the ground more quickly than we feel it. They also get cold quickly through their paws. The last two days I would not let my pooch outside. He used his pee pads. he weighs a mere 15lbs and I felt it was too dangerously cold for him. Just like on super hot days it is so uncomfortable for a dog to walk on the street, people forget how hot the concrete gets. I would put a towel in the dryer and warm it up and put that on the pooch.

We walked down the yellow brick road. I know there was antiskid spread out, but didn't notice salt in the mix, but could have been. The little bugger has chewed my glasses once and my husbands twice, Likes the nosepieces, so he could have gotten into something, he's very busy. sad to see him just lying around. He tore apart kleenex today so I thought maybe he got my germs.

Update:  All seems well this morning. He's up to his normal shenigans. Let him out, chased him off the deck, He peed and  I called him in, so he ran away, so I waited a few min, then he came in, I know he pooped during the night, because I stepped in it, . My kleenex was all ripped apart on the carpet, and my bra was lying in the hallway. He ate and drank. I'm glad he's feeling better. thanks for all your concern and advise everyone!

My daughter has 2 miniature schnauzers.  1 is always fine but doesn't listen as well and the other one listens but gets everything.  Finicky stomach, gets stuff in paws, etc.  So, they are just like us.  No 2 alike.

I have farm dogs that eat  everything they can catch ( no cats) and they are always healthy

Luck of the draw.  I do keep them up to date on their vet stuff. 

Glad he's feeling better.  It's always so sad when a pet is sick.  And what's up with dogs and Kleenex?  Mine loves to grab them from the bathroom garbage and shred them, along with the empty cardboard rolls fro paper towels or toilet paper.  I'm happy to say that she now has me trained to keep the garbage can on the ledge behind the tub.  Earlier this week when I was sick, I was laying on the couch with a box of tissues on the floor beside me within easy reach.  She came over to sit beside me, which is unusual... and when I looked down she was deftly pulling a tissue from the pop-up box.  I swear there was a twinkle in her eyes!