GoDuBois.com

Anyone else have chickens?

HJadvisor

We have 8 that were born mid-May. We are getting 6-8 eggs most days using a light for a few hours in the morning. Wasn't sure if I should put this in the nature or pet section, as ours are more like pets, lol. I love to talk poultry and learn new things! Hoping someone else does, too!

We have chickens. Two coops with 1 rooster and 5 hens in one and 4 roosters and 4 hens in the other. Three roosters in the one need butchered asap, but hubby "hasn't gotten to it yet." I just think he's worried about doing it lol. I don't know why, but my 2 buff orps haven't laid eggs for most of this year, and they are only 3 yrs 8 mos old.

I have about 38 chickens.  I have about 18 I need to sell they are going on 4 yrs old.  Not laying at all right now but are old.  And 25 that will be a year old in April  that are not laying.   Mine are all heavies. Love the eggs I get when I get them.  So much better then the ones in the store.

I 'd love having them around, feeding them, watching them, and the fresh eggs would be great, but, I'm too much of a softie.

I'd have a coop full of old-timers producing nothing and costing me money. Chicken welfare.

Except theres no hope that conditions would improve and they's start paying for themselves.

I just couldn't kill them or ship them off to be killed.

I'd make a terrible farmer.

I have no problem with other people harvesting their animals, but, I couldn't do it to one of my own.

I'm a very weak link in the food chain.

Just curious, I know NOTHING abut chickens, but why do some roosters need butchered ASAP. What happens?  Also,how do eggs taste better from your own chickens?  All interesting to me...  HAHA!  leave it to GoduBois!!!! ;D

Old Roosters become mean, lazy and pretty much useless in old age.

They strut around yelling at all the other chickens trying to tell them how to think, talk and feel.

At this point Old Roosters need butchered.

;)

They strut around yelling at all the other chickens trying to tell them how to think, talk and feel.

;)

You're terrible Dogg!!! LMAO!!! :2fun:

Let the sleeping Rooster be Dogg!!  :P

;)

Geez, I thought you were talking about polititians for a minute there.  I had to go back and look at the thread topic to be sure.

Just curious, I know NOTHING abut chickens, but why do some roosters need butchered ASAP. What happens?  Also,how do eggs taste better from your own chickens?  All interesting to me...  HAHA!  leave it to GoduBois!!!! ;D

We raised chickens when I was in my teens. I will give you what I think are the right answers from my experience....

you only have 1 female & 4 males in a room.... what happens  ... they fight. Roosters are nasty!! They will keep pecking at the other ones till they kill.

Fresh eggs are much more tastey then store bought. Who knows how long the store eggs have been sitting around.

Chickens produce less eggs in the winter then any other time of year. You can tell when spring is coming, casue egg production picks up.

Yes, younger chickens produce better then older chickens .... same as humans.  ;D

;)

lol.......methinks there's some sarcasm there and maybe a lightly hidden message ;D

All we can think about is getting more chickens in the spring, lol. I don't even.mind the cold when I go out and take care of them.  We have 8 hens, no rooster. It's a great learning experience for the kids. Anyone have any silkies? We might try to get some to show at the fair this summer.

I've thought about getting a few, Eggs at the local grocery are $2 a dozen. Never thought I'd even think about raising chickens!

Just make sure what you're getting into.  There's a ton of info online to get you started.  

http://www.almanac.com/blog/raising-chickens/raising-chickens-101-how-get-started

http://ezinearticles.com/?Hidden-Costs-of-Raising-Chickens&id=5142318

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Happy-Homesteader/Baby-Chicken-Care.aspx

After the initial costs, it might suit you.  Or, that $2 a dozen might not look so bad after all.