GoDuBois.com

Tail amputation question

km2009

We recently rescued a pittbull. He will be 2 years old in December. He hits his tail so hard on objects around him that the other day we noticed that his tail was bleeding. He has continued to hit his tail on things. It looks like his tail might have been broken before cause it curves weird but not sure because he was a rescue. Do vets amputate the tail for health issues like this one? I know that they dont crop the tail after a certain age but this is an issue with him and will prob continue to happen. Plus this would be an amputation because of medical issues. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you.  

He keeps cutting it open is my point. We have to keep bandaging it up. He bleeds on furniture and walls when is tail smacks it. Im sure its bothering him. Its making him bleed so I'm sure that it hurts. 

I still don't think they'll cut it off. I keep banging my little toe on stuff and it bleeds quite a bit but they won't remove it.

Maybe you can train him to not wag so violently?

Or he might not have feeling in it, since you think it might have been broken before. In the end, your vet is the one that's going to be able to answer your concerns. :)

I'm sure they can, but doubt that they will, that said....call a few vets and see what they think....the one on maple ave or the one on shaffer and the one in the old harley shop on okla / salem rd are good ones to call

I'm looking for good vets in the area...not sarcasm. But ty.

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. I really doubt they'll remove a healthy tail just because he keeps hitting it off stuff and I really do think he could be trained not to wag so violently. Dogs are smart.

The vet in the old Harley shop is excellent.

Animal Hospital of DuBois over by the mall is AMAZING. They have been so awesome with my Chewy. I doubt they will advise amputation, but I could be wrong.

We have used "vet tape" it's kind of like a self ad hearing ace wrap on Chewy's tail before.

It is correct that if you are just trying to do a cosmetic surgery for tail docking....most vets will not do it after 3 days old.  But since this is a medical issue that the vet I work for refers to as "happy tail" it is possible to remove the tail.  It is much better for the tail to be removed then always have to fight off infection from there being a constant wound on the tail. My suggestion is to go and have the tail looked at and talk over the options with your veterinarian.  

They banned  docking in many  breeds in  Europe. They said it was cruel but then many  dogs had tramatic injurys that were normally docked and  so they had to have it done later in life. WHY? because there was a reason they had them docked as pups later on they had the same  thing happen as yours.. injury!  SO they had to have thier tails amputated. Docking IMO is the same as a lil boy being    circumsized (sp) they do it when they are to young( a few days old) to remember they have no bones( it's  like  your ear before the bone hardens) hence why vets  will only do it  a  right after birth. It prevents pain later in life due to injury. Call around,, ask questions,, explain the situation. Many pitts are docked . It won't hurt him if anything it will help.. no  more infections /pain!.. I have boxers  and let me tell you had they not had thier tails done I would be  in this same situation.. injured tails! Let me tell you that lil nubby can shake like a frieght train!

Our one dog can bruise your legs big time and knock over small children with his tail.  However, when he beats it's off of furniture hard enough to make we humans cringe he doesn't even notice it.  Were there constant injuries then we would have to ask the vet what would be best for the dog's health..