GoDuBois.com

fall planting ?.

Bon

Probably better than putting them in the ground right now. It's so wet that I'll bet we are going to lose a lot of stuff to rot this winter. We still haven't had a freeze of a frost hard enough to get my amaryllis. I have half a dozen pots near or on the porch and they are still growing. Don't know if that last frost got the peppers or not. Haven't been out to look. Veggie gardening was a real bust this year.

Flowers were nice this fall. I've got a couple of patches of those fall blooming irises blooming and the roses are all in bloom. Lots of stuff did a second wave of blooming this year.

We had too many patches of dry weather this summer to make the veggies very happy unless you had raised beds with soaker hoses installed.  There's only so much water you can haul by hand or even stand and distribute deeply enough with a hose to make a difference.  Overhead watering causes it's own problems.

Fruit trees aren't too picky as long as they don't get too wet or get hit with frost in the spring.

Rasied or mounded beds are good for fall planting because they avoid a lot of the combined wet foot and cold weather problems.  Just make sure anything you plant this fall is watered well, once, and then drains well for the rest of the winter.  Mulch once the ground freezes and enjoy next spring.

Don't forget to pop those old mums into a raised bed once they are done blooming and MULCH them.  If you prune them right next spring and summer you will have blooms again next fall.

It seemed to be a bad year for veggies, but good for fruit. OUr neighbor's apple tree is still full! Our apples and pears were a bit smaller than usual, but were plentiful.

Our apples and pears were huge this year! The deer's stomachs were also huge. After they finished as many apples and pears as they could beat us to they started on my flowers and bushes. Looking forward to some revenge venison shortly.

• 5 months later...

Now we may have to take the chance and plant tulip bulbs and daffodils in our community pots this fall.  I Know we did them in the antique bathtub at Charlie's Alternators but they never showed up so we assumed they froze too hard.